Solve Shortest Distance to Origin on Quadric Surface

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the shortest distance to the origin on a quadric surface, specifically x^2 + y^2 - 2zx = 4. Various solutions are suggested, including using Lagrange multipliers and finding points where the gradients are parallel. Ultimately, the solution is found to be (0, 2, 0) and (0, -2, 0) with a distance of 2.
jesuslovesu
[SOLVED] shortest distance

Homework Statement

Find the shortest distance to the origin given the quadric surface x^2 + y^2 - 2zx = 4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

F = x^2 + y^2 + z^2
g = x^2 + y^2 - 2zx = 4

Well I initially substituted y^2 = 4 + 2zx - x^2 into F

F = 4 + 2zx + z^2
which leads to z = 0 x = 0 and so y = 2, however this is not the shortest distance. I know this is because of the boundaries of the surface; however I don't know in what way to modify my analysis so that I can take into account the boundaries and get the shortest distance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you've got a good picture of why this solution is going wrong. Taking a partial derivative wrt to z assumes x and y can be held fixed, which takes you off the surface. The 'neat' way to enforce a constraint like this is to do it using a Lagrange multiplier. If you don't know what that is try to express the surface in parametric form (in terms of two truly independent variables). Notice you can write the surface as (x-z)^2+y^2=z^2+4, which might suggest a nice parametrization.

Laplace self transform

Dick, you seem to be a very good mathematician! Have you ever seen a function of
t whose Laplace Transform is the same function of s? Besides 0.
Bob

bobbyk said:
Dick, you seem to be a very good mathematician! Have you ever seen a function of
Bob
Try Gaussians.

I did. Gaussians don't work.

bobbyk said:
Bob

No!

But is this the right thread to post a reply?? :smile:

Calculate [itex]\nabla F[/itex] and [itex]\nabla g[/itex] and find those [itex]x,y,z[/itex] that make them parallel. That is, solve

[tex]\nabla F = \lambda \nabla g[/tex]

Make sure you can visualise why the gradients must be parallel.

OrderOfThings said:
Calculate [itex]\nabla F[/itex] and [itex]\nabla g[/itex] and find those [itex]x,y,z[/itex] that make them parallel. That is, solve

[tex]\nabla F = \lambda \nabla g[/tex]

Make sure you can visualise why the gradients must be parallel.

Nice way to explain it. It's mathematically the same content as 'lagrange multiplier' without the fancy name.

Hey guys, thanks for your replies. Unfortunately, I'm still having a problem getting the answer. I am familiar with lagrange multipliers, however it's been a while since I've done them because I took Calc 3 2 semesters ago. Anyway, I've done a few sample problems from my calculus book to refresh my memory.

I think I'm close to the answer because it's similar, but when I plug in what I get for x^2 and z^2 into f i get 0 and 12/(1 +- sqrt(5)) but I'm not sure where I messed up... I think I'm correct in saying that y = 0 because the other option where lambda = 1 gives 2 = 4.
My work is here http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/9062/ohrl6.th.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
From [itex]2y= \lambda 2y[/itex], either y= 0 or [itex]\lambda= 1[/itex]. You seem to have rejected [itex]\lambda= 1[/itex] because it "leads to 2x= 4x". Yes, it does. What's wrong with that? It does not lead to 2= 4 but rather to x= 0. If [itex]\lambda= 1[/itex], then we have 2x= 2x- 2z and 2z= -2x. From the first, cancelling the "2x" terms on each side, z= 0 and then x= 0. From requirement that [itex]x^2+ y^2- 2xz= 4[/itex], with x= z= 0, we have [itex]y^2= 4[/itex] so [itex]y= \pm 2[/itex]. The points on [itex]x^2+ y^2- 2xz= 4[/itex] closest to the origin are (0, 2, 0) and (0, -2, 0). The distance from either of those points to the origin, and so the shortest distance from the hyperboloid to the origin, is 2.

HallsofIvy said:
From [itex]2y= \lambda 2y[/itex], either y= 0 or [itex]\lambda= 1[/itex]. You seem to have rejected [itex]\lambda= 1[/itex] because it "leads to 2x= 4x". Yes, it does. What's wrong with that? It does not lead to 2= 4 but rather to x= 0. If [itex]\lambda= 1[/itex], then we have 2x= 2x- 2z and 2z= -2x. From the first, cancelling the "2x" terms on each side, z= 0 and then x= 0. From requirement that [itex]x^2+ y^2- 2xz= 4[/itex], with x= z= 0, we have [itex]y^2= 4[/itex] so [itex]y= \pm 2[/itex]. The points on [itex]x^2+ y^2- 2xz= 4[/itex] closest to the origin are (0, 2, 0) and (0, -2, 0). The distance from either of those points to the origin, and so the shortest distance from the hyperboloid to the origin, is 2.

That solution is a saddle point. If z=0, then ALL of the points on the circle x^2+y^2=4 are distance 2 from the origin. And the OP already has figured out that there are closer points. And if the y=0 track is fixed, will find a pair. Hint: look at the line just before you concluded x^2(1+lambda)=4.

Last edited:

Related to Solve Shortest Distance to Origin on Quadric Surface

1. What is the "shortest distance to origin" on a quadric surface?

The shortest distance to origin on a quadric surface is the length of the shortest line segment connecting the origin to any point on the surface. This distance is also known as the "radius" or "distance from center" of the surface.

2. How do you calculate the shortest distance to origin on a quadric surface?

The shortest distance to origin on a quadric surface can be calculated using the formula d = √(x02 + y02 + z02 - r2), where (x0, y0, z0) is the center of the quadric surface and r is its radius or distance from center. This formula applies to all types of quadric surfaces, including spheres, ellipsoids, and paraboloids.

3. What is a quadric surface?

A quadric surface is a three-dimensional geometric shape that can be described by a second-degree polynomial equation. It includes shapes such as spheres, ellipsoids, paraboloids, and hyperboloids. These surfaces are commonly studied in geometry and can also be found in real-world applications such as architecture and engineering.

4. How is the shortest distance to origin affected by the shape of a quadric surface?

The shortest distance to origin on a quadric surface is affected by the shape of the surface. For example, on a spherical surface, the shortest distance to origin is always equal to the radius of the sphere. On an ellipsoidal surface, the shortest distance to origin varies depending on the orientation of the ellipsoid and the location of the origin relative to its center. On a paraboloidal surface, the shortest distance to origin is always equal to the distance from the origin to the vertex of the parabola.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the shortest distance to origin on a quadric surface?

The concept of finding the shortest distance to origin on a quadric surface has various real-world applications, such as calculating the shortest flight path for an airplane, determining the optimal location for a satellite launch, and designing curved mirrors for telescopes. It is also used in computer graphics for creating 3D models of objects and in physics for calculating the trajectory of a particle moving in a curved space.