Solve Spring Force/Energy: Find Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the velocity of an object attached to a horizontal spring when it is halfway to equilibrium. The given information includes the mass, distance the spring was stretched, and the velocity of the spring when released. However, the concept of halfway to equilibrium is unclear and further clarification is needed. Additionally, the object is said to undergo simple harmonic motion and achieve a maximum velocity of 1.5m/s, but there is confusion about its initial velocity. The question should be stated clearly in one post for better understanding.
AtomicBoom
HW Template missing as it was moved from another forum
I have a question that asks to find the velocity of the object attached to a horizontal spring when it is halfway to equilibrium. I am given the mass, how far the spring was stretched, and the velocity of the spring when it was released.
I am unsure of what it means by halfway to equilibrium. Could i solve it by finding the initial kinetic energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have the spring constant?

AtomicBoom said:
I have a question that asks to find the velocity of the object attached to a horizontal spring when it is halfway to equilibrium. I am given the mass, how far the spring was stretched, and the velocity of the spring when it was released.
I am unsure of what it means by halfway to equilibrium. Could i solve it by finding the initial kinetic energy?

Mechanical equilibrium - when the net force on the object is zero.

Questions for you:
Where would that be? Is it how far the spring was stretched?
If the stretch was L, then halfway to the equilibrium position should then be _____?

Can you clarify what you mean though, when you say you know the velocity of the spring when released. Is the object given an initial velocity? other than 0?

AtomicBoom said:
halfway to equilibrium
That's a really poor term to use in a question. I would find it really difficult to decide what it means exactly.

256bits said:
Mechanical equilibrium - when the net force on the object is zero.

Questions for you:
Where would that be? Is it how far the spring was stretched?
If the stretch was L, then halfway to the equilibrium position should then be _____?

Can you clarify what you mean though, when you say you know the velocity of the spring when released. Is the object given an initial velocity? other than 0?

It said in the question that the spring undergoes simple harmonic motion, and achieves a maximum velocity of 1.5m/s.

No, it says 1.5 m/s is the speed when is released. Which needs some clarification. What was it doing before being released?

I believe at this stage, the question should be stated completely, in one post.

1. What is the formula for solving spring force/energy?

The formula for solving spring force/energy is F = -kx, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

2. How do you find the velocity of an object using spring force/energy?

To find the velocity of an object using spring force/energy, you can use the equation v = √(2E/m), where v is the velocity, E is the spring energy, and m is the mass of the object.

3. Can you use spring force/energy to calculate the velocity of an object with a changing mass?

Yes, you can use spring force/energy to calculate the velocity of an object with a changing mass. However, the mass must be constant throughout the motion in order to accurately calculate the velocity.

4. How does the spring constant affect the velocity of an object?

The spring constant directly affects the velocity of an object. A higher spring constant means a stiffer spring, which results in a greater force being applied and a higher velocity for the object.

5. What is the relationship between spring force/energy and potential/kinetic energy?

Spring force/energy is directly related to potential and kinetic energy. As the spring is compressed or stretched, potential energy is stored in the spring. This potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy as the spring releases and the object moves with a certain velocity.