Solve Spring Force Problem: Displacement, Velocity & Acceleration

In summary: Are you perhaps just missing or forgot $$ ω=2πf $$ in one of the equations?No, I'm not missing or forgetting it. I just found it strange that the form in my textbook is different from what is usually given. No, I'm not missing or forgetting it. I just found it strange that the form in my textbook is different from what is usually given.
jybe

Homework Statement

A spring of negligible mass stretches 3.00 cm from its relaxed length when a force of 6.30 N is applied. A 0.540-kg particle rests on a frictionless horizontal surface and is attached to the free end of the spring. The particle is displaced from the origin to x = 5.00 cm and released from rest at t = 0. (Assume that the direction of the initial displacement is positive. Use the exact values you enter to make later calculations.)

1) Determine the displacement x of the particle from the equilibrium position at t = 0.500 s.

2) Determine the velocity and acceleration of the particle when t = 0.500 s.

Homework Equations

[/B]
x = Acos(2pi*f*t)

v = -Aωsin(2pi*f*t)

a = -Aω^2cos(2pi*f*t)

Already found ω = 19.72 rad/s

frequency = 3.139 s^-1

The Attempt at a Solution

1)

x = 0.05*cos(pi*3.139)
x = 0.04926 m or 4.926 cm

2)

v = -0.05*19.72*sin(pi*3.139)
v = -0.168869 m/s

a = -0.05*(19.72)^2*cos(pi*3.139)
a = -19.1566 m/s^2

My answers for angular velocity and frequency are correct but apparently my answers for position, velocity and acceleration are wrong. Do I need my calculator in radians?

Physics news on Phys.org
jybe said:
Do I need my calculator in radians?
There was no need to find the frequency. You want cos(ωt), you found ω, and you are given t.
What are the units of ω? So what are the units of ωt?

haruspex said:
There was no need to find the frequency. You want cos(ωt), you found ω, and you are given t.
What are the units of ω? So what are the units of ωt?
rad/s and rad. Are you saying I should use the same equations without frequency?

jybe said:
rad/s and rad. Are you saying I should use the same equations without frequency?
I'm saying you do not need to find the oscillation frequency (f). You have the angular frequency, ω, and an equation that uses ω.
Since the units of the ωt you get will be radians, what mode do you think your calculator needs to be into find its cosine?

haruspex said:
I'm saying you do not need to find the oscillation frequency (f). You have the angular frequency, ω, and an equation that uses ω.
Since the units of the ωt you get will be radians, what mode do you think your calculator needs to be into find its cosine?
Ah, thanks, I finally got the correct answer, but what do you mean I didn't have to find the oscillation frequency?

I feel a bit stupid to say this but the equations in my textbook are of the form: a = -Aω^2cos(2pi*f*t)

jybe said:
the equations in my textbook are of the form: a = -Aω^2cos(2pi*f*t)
That's unusual.
The usual form is Acos(ωt), ω being the "angular frequency", along with period T=2π/ω and f=1/T is the oscillation frequency.

jybe said:
Ah, thanks, I finally got the correct answer, but what do you mean I didn't have to find the oscillation frequency?

I feel a bit stupid to say this but the equations in my textbook are of the form: a = -Aω^2cos(2pi*f*t)

Are you perhaps just missing or forgot $$ ω=2πf $$

1. What is spring force?

Spring force is the force exerted by a compressed or stretched spring. It is a restoring force that acts in the opposite direction to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

2. How do you calculate spring force?

The formula for spring force is F = -kx, where F is the spring force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. The negative sign indicates that the force is in the opposite direction of the displacement.

3. What is displacement in relation to spring force?

Displacement is the distance a spring is compressed or stretched from its equilibrium position. It is a key factor in calculating spring force and is directly proportional to the force exerted by the spring.

4. How does velocity affect spring force?

Velocity does not directly affect spring force. However, it can affect the displacement of a spring, which in turn affects the spring force. If a spring is oscillating back and forth, the velocity of the object attached to the spring will vary, causing the displacement and spring force to also vary.

5. What is the relationship between acceleration and spring force?

Acceleration also does not directly affect spring force. However, it can indirectly affect it by affecting the velocity of the object attached to the spring, which then affects the displacement and spring force. If the acceleration of the object is constant, the spring force will also be constant.