Solve Superposition Wave: Prove, Phase Angle & Amplitude

In summary: Also, a more direct approach to solve for A without computing the phase shift is$$A^2\cos^2\phi + A^2\sin^2\phi = A^2 = 100+25 = 125 \quad \Longrightarrow \quad A=\sqrt{125}\simeq 11.2
Const@ntine

Homework Statement

y1(x,t) = 5.00sin(2.00x - 10.0t)

y2(x,t) = 10.0cos(2.00x - 10.0t)

a) Prove that the wave that is the result of the superposition is a function of sin.

b) What's the phase angle and amplitude of said wave?

Homework Equations

y = y1 + y2

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially I figured I'd work y2 into a sin function like this: y2(x,t) = 10.0sin(2.00x - 10.0t + π/2). Then take the y = y1 + y2 formula:

y = 5.00(sin(2.00x - 10.00t) + 2sin(2.00x - 10.0t + π/2))

Then I'd set 2.00x - 10.0t = a & π/2 = b, and rework the latter with: sin(a+b) = sin(a)*cos(b) + cos(a)*sin(b)

But if I put that in the above equation, I just end up with y = 5.00sin(2.00x - 10.0t) + 10.0cos(2.00x - 10.0t)

I checked around to find any formulas or theory about waves without the same amplitudes and whatnot, but my book has only the one case (same direction, same A, sin).

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since both the sine and cosine have the same phase function, you can make the ansatz ##y = A\sin(2x-10t+\phi)##. You can then use the trigonometric identities you mentioned to find the constants ##A## and ##\phi##.

Orodruin said:
Since both the sine and cosine have the same phase function, you can make the ansatz ##y = A\sin(2x-10t+\phi)##. You can then use the trigonometric identities you mentioned to find the constants ##A## and ##\phi##.

Sorry for the extremely late reply (I marched on to thermodynamics and forgot about it), but when you say "trigonomic identities" you mean sin(a+b) = ... ? Apart from that, (a) says that I have to prove the wave is a sin function, so don't know if I could make an ansatz.

Darthkostis said:
Sorry for the extremely late reply (I marched on to thermodynamics and forgot about it), but when you say "trigonomic identities" you mean sin(a+b) = ... ? Apart from that, (a) says that I have to prove the wave is a sin function, so don't know if I could make an ansatz.
Of course you can make an ansatz if you later show that it is true and identify the constants.

Orodruin said:
Of course you can make an ansatz if you later show that it is true and identify the constants.

I guess. It's just that it broke down the exercise into two questions, and I figured I had to do it this one way, and no other. I'm still kinda stuck on it though. Let's say I make the above ansatz, set (2x - 10t) = a & φ = b, and then follow with:

sin(a+b) = sin(a)*cos(b) + cos(a)*sin(b) = sin(2x - 10t)*cos(φ) + sin(φ)*cos(2x-10t)

What then?

Darthkostis said:
What then?
Then you figure out what values ##\phi## and ##A## have to take for the expression to be identical to your superposition.

Orodruin said:
Then you figure out what values ##\phi## and ##A## have to take for the expression to be identical to your superposition.
Don't I have to connect the above equation with the info I have? I don't see how I can do that though. I have this equation as well (y = y1 + y2):

y = 5.00sin(2.00x - 10.00t) + 10.0cos(2.00x - 10.0t)

But I'm not seeing how I can connect the two.

Last edited:
But this is exactly what I have been saying. You put them equal to each other and start identifying the terms.

Orodruin said:
But this is exactly what I have been saying. You put them equal to each other and start identifying the terms.

Oh yeah, darn it. It flew right past me.

Asin((2x - 10t) + φ) = 5.00sin(2.00x - 10.00t) + 10.0cos(2.00x - 10.0t)

Asin(a+b) = A*[sin(a)*cos(b) + cos(a)*sin(b) = sin(2x - 10t)*cos(φ) + sin(φ)*cos(2x-10t)]

So:

Asinφ = 10
Acosφ = 5

tanφ = 2 => φ = 1.12 rad = 6.4 degrees

&

Asinφ = 10 <=> A = 11.2 m

Thanks a ton for the help and the patience!

Darthkostis said:
φ = 1.12 rad = 6.4 degrees
1.12 radians are not 6.4 degrees...

Also, a more direct approach to solve for A without computing the phase shift is
$$
A^2\cos^2\phi + A^2\sin^2\phi = A^2 = 100+25 = 125 \quad \Longrightarrow \quad A=\sqrt{125}\simeq 11.2
$$

Likes Const@ntine
Orodruin said:
1.12 radians are not 6.4 degrees...

Also, a more direct approach to solve for A without computing the phase shift is
$$
A^2\cos^2\phi + A^2\sin^2\phi = A^2 = 100+25 = 125 \quad \Longrightarrow \quad A=\sqrt{125}\simeq 11.2
$$
I meant to write 63.4 but my keyboard's a bit busted (2,3 & the spacebar don't really work).

1. What is superposition wave?

Superposition wave is a concept in physics where two or more waves combine to form a new wave. The resulting wave is the sum of the individual waves, taking into account their amplitudes and phases. This phenomenon is commonly seen in situations where there are multiple sources of waves, such as in sound or light.

2. How do you solve for superposition wave?

To solve for superposition wave, you need to first find the individual waves and their amplitudes and phases. Then, you can add them together using the principle of superposition. This involves adding the amplitudes of the waves and taking into account the phase difference between them. The resulting wave will be the superposition wave.

3. What is the significance of phase angle in superposition wave?

The phase angle in superposition wave is important because it determines the interference pattern of the resulting wave. If the phase difference between the individual waves is 0 or a multiple of 2π, the waves will be in phase and constructively interfere to produce a larger amplitude. On the other hand, if the phase difference is a multiple of π, the waves will be out of phase and destructively interfere, resulting in a smaller amplitude.

4. How do you prove superposition wave?

Superposition wave can be proven using mathematical equations and experimental data. The equations for superposition wave, such as the principle of superposition and the addition of waves, can be derived from the fundamental principles of wave mechanics. Additionally, experiments can be conducted to demonstrate the phenomenon of superposition wave and its properties.

5. What is the role of amplitude in superposition wave?

The amplitude in superposition wave is the maximum displacement of the resulting wave from its equilibrium position. It is determined by the amplitudes of the individual waves and their phase differences. The amplitude of the resulting wave can be larger or smaller than the individual waves, depending on the interference pattern. In constructive interference, the amplitude will be larger, while in destructive interference, the amplitude will be smaller.