Solve Tension in Cables (T1, T2, θ3)

In summary, using the equations ƩF = 0 and the given information, we can find the tension T1 to be 115.088 N and the angle θ3 to be 54.0188°. To find T2, we can take a free body diagram of one of the nodes and solve for the x-component of either T1 or T3, which gives us T2 = 61 N.
NXIShift

Homework Statement

In the figure below, the left-hand cable has a Tension T1 and makes an angle of 58° with the horizontal. The right-hand cable has a Tension T3 and makes an angle θ3 with the horizontal. A 97.6N weight is on the left and an 84N weight is on the right. The cable connecting the two weights is horizontal.

a) Find the Tension T1.
b) Find the Tension T2
c) Find the angle θ3.

Image If It Helps: http://i.imgur.com/TTlwqhB.jpg?1

Homework Equations

ƩF = 0
T1*sin(58°) - 97.6 = 0
-T1*cos(58°) + T3*cos(θ3) = 0
T3*sin(θ3) - 84 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I used the first equation: moved the -97.6 to the right then divided by sin(58°) to get 115.088.

c) I used the third equation: moved 84 to the right and divided by sin(θ3) to get T3 on its own. Then, I substituted this into equation 2, and ended up getting: -T1*cos(58°) + 84/(sin(θ3))*cos(θ3) = 0. Then, I moved the -T1*cos(58°) to the right, plugged in 115.088 for T1, then simplified it down to cot(θ3) = .7260. I did arccot(.7260) and got 54.0188° for θ3.

b) This is where I'm stuck. I never considered T2 in any of my equations, and I can't figure out if I'm forgetting some essential part of Tension. Any help to guide me would be very appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You did well. For c), you essentially took a free body diagram of both nodes that support the loads. When doing it this way, T2 force is internal and is thus is not included in your equation. To find T2, take a free body diagram of one of the nodes to solve. It's worth taking a free body diagram of the other node also as a check on your work.

Ok, so I would end up just taking the x-component of T1 or T3 because the Tension T2 will essentially be the same. So T2 would be 60.9873?

NXIShift said:
Ok, so I would end up just taking the x-component of T1 or T3 because the Tension T2 will essentially be the same. So T2 would be 60.9873?
Yes, call it 61 N.

Alright, I get it. Thank you!

1. What is tension in a cable?

Tension in a cable refers to the amount of force that is pulling on the cable. It is the force that is transmitted through the cable and is usually measured in units of newtons (N).

2. How do you calculate tension in a cable?

Tension in a cable can be calculated using the formula T = Fcos(θ), where T is the tension, F is the force being applied, and θ is the angle between the cable and the direction of the force.

3. What is the difference between T1 and T2 in solving tension in cables?

T1 and T2 refer to the tensions in two different cables that are connected to the same object. T1 is the tension in the first cable, while T2 is the tension in the second cable. The difference between the two tensions depends on the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on the object.

4. How does the angle (θ3) affect tension in cables?

The angle (θ3) affects the tension in the cables by changing the direction of the forces acting on the object. The larger the angle, the greater the change in direction of the forces and therefore, the greater the tension in the cables.

5. Can tension in cables be negative?

Yes, tension in cables can be negative. This occurs when the force acting on the object is in the opposite direction of the cable, causing it to be pulled in the opposite direction. Negative tension can also occur if the cable is being compressed rather than stretched.