Solve the following differential equation (by regrouping terms)

In summary, the given equation is (4x^3y^3-2xy)dx+(3x^4y^2-x^2)dy=0 and the task is to regroup the terms to find a common factor. The attempt at a solution includes expanding the equation and multiplying it by xy to get 4x^3y^4dx-2xy^2dx+3x^4y^3dy-x^2ydy=0. However, it is suggested to take the first step of finding the common factor, rather than regrouping the terms. The policy of the forum does not allow for providing further help in solving the problem.
danny12345

Homework Statement

(4x^3y^3-2xy)dx+(3x^4y^2-x^2)dy=0[/B]

Homework Equations

(4x^3y^3-2xy)dx+(3x^4y^2-x^2)dy=0

The Attempt at a Solution

i expanded it as 4x^3y^3dx-2xydx+3x^4y^2dy-x^2dy=0
next we have to take the common such that there will be
m(X)(xdy+ydx)[/B]
m(x) is the common onee

Physics news on Phys.org
If (without troubling to expand) you look at the numerical factors and the indices of the terms in the first expression they are an obvious ∂/∂x of something and if you look at the second expression, they are an obvious, not to give anything away...

what that means?

If you really want to "regroup" then look at [tex](4x^3y^3dx+ 3x^4y^2dy)- (2xydx+ x^2dy)[/tex].

no i got it simply expand and make the common.common is not possible so we have to multiply it with some x^ny^n to the whole equation so we can make the common on(xdy+ydx) or(xdy-ydx).
multiply the expanded part by xy.
it becomes 4x^3y^4dx-2xy^2dx+3x^4y^3dy-x^2ydy=0
now -xy^2dx-xy^2dx-x^2ydy+3x^4y^3dy+4x^3y^4dx=0
=>-xy(ydx+xdy)-xy^2dx+3x^4y^3dy+3x^3y^4dx+x^3y^4dx=0
now it is very easy to do thnxx for your pateince

danny12345 said:
what that means?

It means I couldn't say more without solving the problem for you which is not the policy for this forum.
It means that by policy I wouldn't say more unless you took the first step that I have indicated, after which something else would probably become obvious to you.
It means I think probably there is an explanation and another example of the same sort or same principle in the first two pages of the relevant chapter of your textbook.

Unless you are being asked to solve it a different way. I don't see that any regrouping is necessary.

but the question asked for regrouping.the thing you are telling is not required in this question.

danny12345 said:
but the question asked for regrouping.the thing you are telling is not required in this question.

So, perform re-grouping if you want to. All you need to do is figure out how and why to re-group certain of the terms, and we are not allowed to help you any more with that. You need to do at least some of the work and show the results, and if you are still stuck you can ask for more hints.

If you can solve the problem any which way it will help you anyway (and it's only a couple of lines) plus it might help you e.g. knowing the answer when we figure out what is they are wanting you to solve it.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It describes how a particular physical or mathematical system changes over time.

2. Why do we need to solve differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model and understand various phenomena in science, engineering, and economics. By solving them, we can determine the behavior and properties of these systems, which can then be used to make predictions and solve real-world problems.

3. How do you solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and order. Generally, we first rewrite the equation in a standard form, then use various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integration to find the solution.

4. What is meant by "regrouping terms" in solving a differential equation?

Regrouping terms in a differential equation involves rearranging the equation so that all the terms with the dependent variable and its derivatives are on one side, and all the terms with the independent variable are on the other side. This allows us to apply the appropriate solving technique more easily.

5. Are there any software programs that can solve differential equations?

Yes, there are many software programs, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Wolfram Alpha, that can solve differential equations. These programs use numerical methods to find approximate solutions to differential equations, which can be useful for complex or non-analytical equations.