Solve the trigonometric equation below

In summary, the equation $$cos ∅+ \sqrt 3⋅ sin ∅=1$$ can be solved by using the half angle property for tangent and the quadratic formula. Other methods include using the identity $$cos^2 ∅+ sin^2 ∅=1$$ and rearranging the equation to a quadratic form. The domain for the solution is in the interval $$0≤∅≤2π$$.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Solve the equation, $$cos ∅+ \sqrt 3⋅ sin ∅=1$$ in the interval, $$0≤∅≤2π$$
Relevant Equations
understanding of equations of the form $$a sin b+c cos d=e$$
Solve the equation, $$cos ∅+ \sqrt 3⋅ sin ∅=1$$ in the interval, $$0≤∅≤2π$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the question and its solution, below...this is pretty clear and easy for me...the only thing to note is that for cosine, $$cos ∅=cos (-∅)$$

1640560105017.png
ok, i also noted that we could use the half angle property here for $$tan∅$$, using this property it follows that,

$$1-t^2+ \sqrt 12⋅ t=1+t^2$$
→$$-2t^2+\sqrt 12⋅ t=0$$
$$t=1.73$$ and $$t=0$$
Therefore, $$tan \frac {1}{2}∅=1.732050808$$
$$∅={0, 120^0, 300^0}$$ which can be re-written in rad.

Any other approach guys...or we only have this two?...cheers:cool:

Last edited:
OK, but I'm not sure what your question is.

I hate trig identities since I only remember a couple of them. In my experience this sort of problem is either impossible (i.e. numeric solutions only) or there are multiple ways of solving it.

Anyway, I used ##cos(\theta)^2 + sin(\theta)^2=1## and then arranged things into the quadratic ##2cos(\theta)^2 - cos(\theta) -1 = 0## which is easy to solve for ##cos(\theta)##. Maybe not as nice as the solution in the book, but it's what I can do easily from memory.

I think it's odd that the domain is ##0 \leq \theta \leq 2\pi##. Everyone else would choose ##0 \leq \theta \lt 2\pi##. I guess they want to make sure your paying attention to the details.

Likes chwala
DaveE said:
OK, but I'm not sure what your question is.

I hate trig identities since I only remember a couple of them. In my experience this sort of problem is either impossible (i.e. numeric solutions only) or there are multiple ways of solving it.

Anyway, I used ##cos(\theta)^2 + sin(\theta)^2=1## and then arranged things into the quadratic ##2cos(\theta)^2 - cos(\theta) -1 = 0## which is easy to solve for ##cos(\theta)##. Maybe not as nice as the solution in the book, but it's what I can do easily from memory.

I think it's odd that the domain is ##0 \leq \theta \leq 2\pi##. Everyone else would choose ##0 \leq \theta \lt 2\pi##. I guess they want to make sure your paying attention to the details.
Thanks Dave, it wasn't a question rather just asking if there are other methods in solving this kind of trig. equations...cheers mate.

Likes DaveE
$$cos^2 ∅+ sin^2 ∅=1$$, would work...one would have to re-express either $$cos∅$$ in terms of $$sin∅$$ or conversely, ...then express it in the form of $$ax^2+bx=1$$, then square both sides and work to solution.

What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves one or more trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These equations are used to solve for unknown angles or sides in a triangle.

How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you need to use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities to isolate the variable and find its value. You may also need to use a calculator to find the numerical value of the trigonometric functions.

What are the common trigonometric identities used to solve equations?

Some of the common trigonometric identities used to solve equations include the Pythagorean identity, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities allow you to rewrite trigonometric functions in terms of other trigonometric functions.

What are the possible solutions to a trigonometric equation?

The possible solutions to a trigonometric equation depend on the given restrictions and the domain of the trigonometric functions involved. In general, there may be infinitely many solutions, or there may be no solution at all.

What are some tips for solving trigonometric equations?

Some tips for solving trigonometric equations include identifying the type of equation (e.g. quadratic, linear, etc.), using the appropriate trigonometric identities, checking for extraneous solutions, and simplifying the equation before solving. It is also important to pay attention to restrictions and the domain of the trigonometric functions.