Solve Thermo Questions: Gas Equation, Work, Refrigerator Cooling & Heat Capacity

• Thread starter omagdon7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermo
In summary, the conversation includes questions about finding (dU/dV)@constant T and the isothermal reversible work for a gas described by the equation PV= RT+aT^2, calculating the minimum amount of work to cool a refrigerator from 300K to 200K, and determining the heat capacity of a process where P/V is constant for a monatomic ideal gas with Cv=2.5R and Cp=3.5R. The conversation also includes hints and suggestions for solving these problems.
omagdon7
There are a couple of questions on my practice exam I am stuck on. If you could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

1. A gas is described by the equation PV= RT+aT^2 where a is some gas specific constant. Find (dU/dV)@constant T

And provide an expression for the isothermal reversible work

I think I was able to solve for the work as it is just the integral of pdV which is easy enough to compute. If this is incorrect could someone please tell me.

2. The minimum amount of work to cool a refrigerator from 300K to 200K if the heat capacity of the refrigerator is 1000J/K. The exterior is assumed to be at a constant 300K despite being used as a heat sink.

The hint for this one says to think of it as a carnot engine in reverse but I don't know what this means exactly. I found the efficiency of this if it were a Carnot engine and it is 1/3 then I just assumed minimum work was the product of the efficiency heat capactiy and temperature difference (300-200) . I suspect however that this is wrong.

3. Lastly, the heat capacity of some monatomic ideal gas is Cv=2.5R and Cp=3.5R, what is the heat capacity of a process where P/V is a constant i.e. the ratio of P:V is constant. I gathered that if P/V is constant, as PV=nRT then the process is isothermal and that perhaps the Cp/v is infinite, as dU for an isothermal process is 0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
self-bump

also in retrospect the last problem does not actually constitute an isothermic process

I think you did the first problem correctly. For the second:
[tex]\eta_{th}=\frac{w}{q_h}[/tex]
[tex]\eta_{th}=1-\frac{T_c}{T_h}[/tex]
Therefore:
[tex]w=(1-\frac{T_c}{T_h})q_h[/tex]
I hope that is enough of a hint.

For the last one, I guess that by "heat capacity for the process" they mean the heat supplied divided by the change in T. Consider a process hapening in two steps: one at constant volume and the next at constant P. Add the dq's and divide by the dT's.

omagdon7 said:
1. A gas is described by the equation PV= RT+aT^2 where a is some gas specific constant. Find (dU/dV)@constant T

I may be missing something, but this problem appears to be non-trivial. If you're working out of Reif, then I suggest looking at page 154. If not, consider the following relations:

[tex]dU=(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T})_VdT+(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V})_TdV[/tex]

[tex]TdS=dU+pdV[/tex]

Substituting the expression for p and dU, you then need to solve for

[tex]\frac{\partial^2S}{\partial V \partial T}=\frac{\partial^2S}{\partial T \partial V}[/tex]

Remembering that the second derivatives will be the same regardless of order of differentiation. The expression you're looking for will eventually drop out.

And provide an expression for the isothermal reversible work

I think I was able to solve for the work as it is just the integral of pdV which is easy enough to compute. If this is incorrect could someone please tell me.

I suspect your answer is incorrect. If you did the following:

[tex]W=\int pdV=\int \frac{RT+\frac{1}{2}aT^2}{V}dV[/tex]

This will be a trivial integral only if T is constant, but reversible work implies constant entropy, not temperature. I suspect you'll have to rederive the expressions for adiabatic expansion/compression.

3. Lastly, the heat capacity of some monatomic ideal gas is Cv=2.5R and Cp=3.5R, what is the heat capacity of a process where P/V is a constant i.e. the ratio of P:V is constant. I gathered that if P/V is constant, as PV=nRT then the process is isothermal and that perhaps the Cp/v is infinite, as dU for an isothermal process is 0.

I have to go to class soon and I won't be back online till tomorrow, but one more quick thing. If P/V is constant, then

[tex]\frac{P}{V}=\frac{nRT}{V^2}=constant[/tex]

which does not imply isothermality.

Related to Solve Thermo Questions: Gas Equation, Work, Refrigerator Cooling & Heat Capacity

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the relationship between heat, work, and energy. It studies how energy is transferred and transformed between different forms, and how it affects the behavior of matter.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. The third law states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

3. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of energy from one object to another due to a temperature difference. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. In other words, heat is energy in transit, while temperature is a measure of the amount of energy in a substance.

4. What is an example of a thermodynamic system?

An example of a thermodynamic system is a piston and cylinder containing a gas. The walls of the cylinder are the system's boundaries, and the gas inside is the system. The piston can move and work can be done on or by the system, and heat can be transferred to or from the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics has many practical applications, including the design of engines and refrigerators, the study of climate and weather patterns, and the production of energy from renewable sources such as solar and wind power. It also plays a crucial role in materials science, chemical reactions, and biological processes.