Solve this pair of simultaneous equations involving complex numbers

In summary: It still takes a while to typeset. *grumble*grumble*deletes*half*complete*post*grumble* :wink:Which is the carriage return syntax? ...you could share a simple math example "with" and "without" carriage return then i can adopt that immediately...Carriage return -- enter keyI prefer $$ ...the equations look like a piece of art...I will just need to work on the spacing.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Solve the simultaneous equation for the complex number ##z## and ##w##,

$$(1+i)z+(2-i)w=3+4i$$

$$iz+(3+i)w=-1+5i$$
Relevant Equations
Complex numbers
$$(1+i)z+(2-i)w=3+4i$$
$$iz+(3+i)w=-1+5i$$

ok, multiplying the first equation by##(1-i)## and the second equation by ##i##, we get,

$$2z+(1-3i)w=7+i$$
$$-z+(-1+3i)w=-5-i$$

adding the two equations, we get ##z=2##,
We know that, $$iz+(3+i)w=-1+5i$$
$$⇒2i+(3+i)w=-1+5i$$
$$w=\frac {-1+3i}{3+i}$$
$$w=\frac {(-1+3i)(3-i)}{(3+i)(3-i)}$$
$$w=i$$

There may be a different approach from this...

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure there is anything easier.

Likes chwala
Well, I could debit something that is different/is not different but looks different and is probably not easier :smile::
Consider this a matrix equation ## Ax = y## with solution ##x = A^{-1}y##:$$
\begin{pmatrix} 1+i&2-i\\\phantom{1+}i&3+i\end {pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix} z\\w\end {pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} \phantom{-}3+4i\\-1+5i\end {pmatrix}
\quad \Rightarrow \quad
\begin{pmatrix} z\\w\end {pmatrix} =
{1\over |A| }\begin{pmatrix} 3+i&-2+i\\\phantom{1}-i&\phantom{-}1+i\end {pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix} \phantom{-}3+4i\\-1+5i\end {pmatrix}
$$With ## |A| =\det A = (1+i)(3+i)-i(2-i) = 1 + 2i\ ##we get $$
\begin{pmatrix} z\\w\end {pmatrix} = {1\over 1 + 2i }
\begin{pmatrix} (3+i)(3+4i)+(-2+i)(-1+5i) \\ \phantom 3\ - i\phantom )(3+4i)+( \phantom{-}1+i)(-1+5i) \end {pmatrix} = {1\over 1 + 2i }
\begin{pmatrix}\phantom{-} 2+4i\\-2+{\phantom 4}i \end {pmatrix} =
\begin{pmatrix}2\\i\end {pmatrix}$$
##\LaTeX## wise this is quite a compact solution :wink: .
Yours could also be slightly more compact if you realize that $$ followed by a carriage return and then $$ for a new displayed equation creates a lot of vertical white spacing. And the more so with two carriage returns (another empty line !).

But that's all beside the mathematical point, where you did just fine!

##\ ##

Likes DaveE, Ibix and chwala
BvU said:
##\LaTeX## wise this is quite a compact solution :wink: .
It still takes a while to typeset. *grumble*grumble*deletes*half*complete*post*grumble* :wink:

• Haha
Likes fresh_42 and BvU
Which is the carriage return syntax? ...you could share a simple math example "with" and "without" carriage return then i can adopt that immediately...

I think the point is that if you write Newton's second law says $$F=ma$$ and is the definition of "force". you get:
Newton's second law says $$F=ma$$and is the definition of "force".​
But I think you're inserting a blank line (or at least a new line) before and after the LaTeX delimiters, so you get
Newton's second law says​
$$F=ma$$​
and is the definition of "force".​
...which takes up a lot more room vertically.

Thanks, i will check on that Ibix...

This time I had to grmbl grmbl :biggrin:

And I also lost the part I did want to keep :mad:, namely:
I had fun discovering that googling (3+i)(3+4i)+(-2+i)(-1+5i)
(copied straight from the ##\TeX## source!) gives ##2+4i##
But horizontally aligning (-i)(3+4i)+(1+i)(-1+5i) was nightmarish indeed :wink:

@chwala: experiment !

• Haha
Likes chwala and Ibix
BvU said:
Yours could also be slightly more compact if you realize that $$ followed by a carriage return and then $$ for a new displayed equation creates a lot of vertical white spacing. And the more so with two carriage returns (another empty line !).
I rarely use $$ for this exact reason. I mostly use ##.
chwala said:
Which is the carriage return syntax? ...you could share a simple math example "with" and "without" carriage return then i can adopt that immediately...
Carriage return -- enter key

Likes chwala
I prefer $$ ...the equations look like a piece of art...I will just need to work on the spacing.

## doesn't bring out the art and desired neatness...particularly on fraction type of equations...

Likes BvU
Also Cramer's Rule, which I probably would have used. A slightly different take on the linear algebra of @BvU's post.

Likes BvU and chwala
DaveE said:
Also Cramer's Rule, which I probably would have used. A slightly different take on the linear algebra of @BvU's post.
Yap...Matrices in the making...

chwala said:
I prefer $$ ...the equations look like a piece of art...I will just need to work on the spacing.

## doesn't bring out the art and desired neatness...particularly on fraction type of equations...
For fractions with ## , use \dfrac for a fraction rather than \frac .

Likes BvU and chwala

1. How do I solve a pair of simultaneous equations involving complex numbers?

Solving a pair of simultaneous equations involving complex numbers requires the use of complex numbers and the rules of algebra. The equations should be set up with the real and imaginary parts separated, and then solved using techniques such as substitution or elimination.

2. What is the difference between a complex number and a real number?

A complex number contains both a real part and an imaginary part, while a real number only contains a real part. The imaginary part of a complex number is represented by the letter "i" and is equal to the square root of -1.

3. Can complex numbers be added or subtracted?

Yes, complex numbers can be added or subtracted by combining the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (4 + 5i) = (3+4) + (2i+5i) = 7 + 7i.

4. How do I solve for the roots of a complex number?

To solve for the roots of a complex number, you can use the quadratic formula and substitute in the values for a, b, and c. The resulting solutions will be complex numbers in the form of a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

5. Can complex numbers be graphed on a coordinate plane?

Yes, complex numbers can be graphed on a coordinate plane by using the real part as the x-coordinate and the imaginary part as the y-coordinate. The resulting point will be plotted in the complex plane, where the x-axis represents the real numbers and the y-axis represents the imaginary numbers.