Solve using implicit differentiation 6 y+8 x=\sin(xy^2)

In summary, the conversation involved solving a problem by differentiating each part and then dividing both sides by cos(xy^2). The final answer was -8/(6-2y^3xcos(xy^2)) but was found to be incorrect. A mistake was pointed out and it was corrected to y^2+x2y(dy/dx). The problem was then solved correctly.
apiwowar
so to solve this i differentiated each part and got 6dy/dx + 8 = cos(xy^2)(y^2*x2ydy/dx)

then i divided both sides by cos(xy^2)
then serpatated the 6dy/dx + 8 and put them both over cos(xy^2)
then i took out a yprime

and ended up with

-8/(6-2y^3xcos(xy^2)) as an answer but its wrong
can anyone point out where i made a mistake or give me a hint in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
((y^2) PLUS 2(dy/dx))

EDIT: Fixed a mistake.

Last edited:
yea thanks, i saw that after looking at the problem again

you mean y^2x + 2y(dy/dx)?
isnt it y^2+x2y(dy/dx) since the derivative of x is 1 so the first part is just y^2?

Oh yes, you're right, my mistake. :)

So were you able to get the problem right after that?

Related to Solve using implicit differentiation 6 y+8 x=\sin(xy^2)

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly written in terms of the independent variable. It is useful for finding derivatives of equations that cannot be easily solved for the dependent variable.

2. How do I solve using implicit differentiation?

To solve using implicit differentiation, you will need to differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to the independent variable. Then, you can rearrange the equation to solve for the derivative of the dependent variable.

3. What is the purpose of using implicit differentiation?

The purpose of using implicit differentiation is to find the derivative of a function that cannot be easily solved for the dependent variable. It is often used in physics and engineering to find rates of change and optimize functions.

4. What is the first step in solving this equation using implicit differentiation?

The first step in solving 6y + 8x = sin(xy^2) using implicit differentiation is to differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to the independent variable. This will involve using the product and chain rules.

5. What are some common mistakes when using implicit differentiation?

Some common mistakes when using implicit differentiation include not applying the product and chain rules correctly, forgetting to include the derivative of the dependent variable, and not simplifying the resulting equation after differentiation.