Solved: Find "k" for Distinct Real Roots of f(x) = x3 + 3x2 + k

• Thread starter [ScPpL]Shree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculas
In summary, for Question 1, the goal is to find the value of "b" that will result in a difference of 3 between the x-coordinates of the two inflection points of the function y=x4 + 4x3 + bx2 + 5x + 7. The attempt at a solution involves finding the first and second derivatives of the function and setting them equal to 0, then using algebraic manipulation to solve for "b". The final result is that b can equal either -12 or -36, with the latter being the correct solution. For Question 2, the task is to determine the possible bounds for the variable "k" in the function f(x) = x3 + 3
[ScPpL]Shree
Question 1:

Homework Statement

Find "b" so that the difference between the x co-ordinates of the two inflection points of y=x4 + 4x3+bx2+5x+7 is 3

The Attempt at a Solution

I.P. at y' = 0
two x co-ordinates are x and x+3
y' = 4x3 + 12x2 + 2bx +5
0 = 4x3 + 12x2 + 2bx +5
0 =4(x+3)3 + 12(x+3)2 + 2b(x+3) +5

4x3 + 12x2 + 2bx +5 = 4(x+3)3 + 12(x+3)2 + 2b(x+3) +5

expand, add, subtract and solve for x, you get:

(-216-6b)/72 = x

I.P is y''=0

y'' = 12x2 + 24x +2b
sub in x

0= 12[(-216-6b)/72]2+24 (-216-6b)/3]+2b

then you expand, add, subtract and end up with the quadratic equation

0= 36 (b2+48b +432)

use the quadratic formula to get b=-12 or or b=-36

to check if b is right, I plugged it back into y''

0= 12x2 + 24x -2b
0=12x2 + 24x -2(-12)
0 = 12x2 + 24x -24
x=-3.8284 or x=1.8284
but the difference here is 5.6568

0=12x2 + 24x -2(-36)
x= -1, x = 3
the difference here is 4.

Question 2:

Homework Statement

if f(x) = x3 + 3x2 + k has three distinct real roots, what are the bounds on "k"? (i.e., ? <x<?). Hint: Look for extema using f' and f''.

f(x) = x3 + 3x2 + k
f'(x)= 3x2 +6x
0= 3x(x+2)
x = 0, x=-2

f"(x) = 6x+6
f'' (0) = 6

at x=0, the function is concave up

f''(-2) = -6

at x = -2, it is concave down

because of the type of graph (its a cubic function), the y-int (which is k) must be equal to or less than 0, but has to be greater than equal to -4...

as I was typing this, I realized that this doesn't make sense, so I don't understand this question.

I will appreciate any help I can get.

Physics news on Phys.org
[ScPpL]Shree;2836666 said:
Question 1:

Find "b" so that the difference between the x co-ordinates of the two inflection points of y=x4 + 4x3+bx2+5x+7 is 3

I.P. at y' = 0
two x co-ordinates are x and x+3
The inflection points means y''=0.

[ScPpL]Shree;2836666 said:
Question 2:if f(x) = x3 + 3x2 + k has three distinct real roots, what are the bounds on "k"? (i.e., ? <x<?). Hint: Look for extema using f' and f''.

f(x) = x3 + 3x2 + k
f'(x)= 3x2 +6x
0= 3x(x+2)
x = 0, x=-2

f"(x) = 6x+6
f'' (0) = 6

at x=0, the function is concave up

f''(-2) = -6

at x = -2, it is concave down

because of the type of graph (its a cubic function), the y-int (which is k) must be equal to or less than 0, but has to be greater than equal to -4...

as I was typing this, I realized that this doesn't make sense, so I don't understand this question.

The result is almost good, but I do not understand the explanation. Sketch the graph. It has three different real roots so it has three x points where y change from negative to positive or vice versa. It has two extrema, one at x=-2, one at x =0. What are these extrema, where is minimum and where is maximum? Where should be the function positive and where is it negative?

ehild

1. What is the purpose of finding "k" for distinct real roots in this equation?

The purpose is to determine the value of "k" that will result in the equation having three distinct real roots. This can help in understanding the behavior and properties of the given cubic function.

2. How do you solve for "k" in this equation?

To solve for "k", we can use the discriminant of the cubic equation, which is given by D = b^2 - 4ac. If D > 0, then the equation will have three distinct real roots. We can then set the discriminant equal to 0 and solve for "k".

3. Can the value of "k" be any real number?

Yes, the value of "k" can be any real number. However, for the equation to have three distinct real roots, the value of "k" must satisfy the condition that the discriminant is greater than 0.

4. How do the values of "k" affect the graph of the cubic equation?

The value of "k" affects the shape and position of the graph of the cubic equation. For example, if "k" is positive, the graph will have an upward turn at the end, while if "k" is negative, the graph will have a downward turn. The value of "k" also determines the number and position of the x-intercepts (roots) of the equation.

5. Is there a specific method or formula for finding the value of "k"?

Yes, there are several methods for finding the value of "k" in this equation, such as using the discriminant, using the rational root theorem, or using synthetic division. The method used may vary depending on the complexity of the equation and personal preference.