Solving 2 Electron Spin 1/2 System: Need Help!

In summary: Then you can use the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the reduced density matrix to calculate the expectation values of the observables for each spin.Yes, $$ \sigma_z \otimes \sigma_0=\begin{pmatrix} \sigma_z & 0 \\ 0 & \sigma_z\end{pmatrix}$$.
Noora Alameri
Hey,

I am studying Spin 1/2 system, the case of 2 electrons in a magnetic field, since we have 2 electrons, we expect that the matrix will be of the size 4x4, which is what I have got.

As I know that I could use the density matrix to calculate the expectation values of any physical quantity such us <Sz> , <Sx> and <Sy> by taking the trace of the product of the density matrix with the one we want to find out.

but the point that disappointed me is that Sz operator for example is 2x2 matrix , and the density matrix is 4x4 ! I can't take a product of two matrices !

What is the best way to proceed ?

I am really struggling with this, I hope someone would help ()

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to calculate the expectation value of e.g. ##\sigma_z## for e.g. the first spin, you have to form the tensor product ##\sigma_z \otimes \sigma_0##, where ##\sigma_0## is the 2x2 unit matrix and calculate the expectation value using the density matrix and this operator.

DrDu said:
If you want to calculate the expectation value of e.g. ##\sigma_z## for e.g. the first spin, you have to form the tensor product ##\sigma_z \otimes \sigma_0##, where ##\sigma_0## is the 2x2 unit matrix and calculate the expectation value using the density matrix and this operator.

Thank You Doctor.
Appreciate your helpful reply ()

DrDu said:

I am wondering if there is a way to re write puali matrices in 4x4 matrix size with choosing 4 basis instead of using product ?

Yes,
$$ \sigma_z \otimes \sigma_0=\begin{pmatrix} \sigma_z & 0 \\ 0 & \sigma_z\end{pmatrix}$$. I am too lazy to write this explicitly as a 4x4 matrix.

The general way to write a tensor product of ##d \times d## matrices as a ## d^2 \times d^2 ## matrix uses the Kronecker product.

But if you are only interested in the observables for each spin, it might be easier to just calculate the ##2 \times 2## reduced density matrices ## \rho_A = \text{Tr}_B ( \rho_{AB}) ## and ## \rho_B = \text{Tr}_A ( \rho_{AB}) ## where the trace is the partial trace.

Related to Solving 2 Electron Spin 1/2 System: Need Help!

1. What is a 2 electron spin 1/2 system?

A 2 electron spin 1/2 system refers to a quantum mechanical system containing two electrons with spin quantum numbers of 1/2. The spin quantum number is a fundamental property of particles and can take on values of +1/2 or -1/2 for electrons. This system is commonly used in studies of quantum mechanics and has applications in fields such as nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy.

2. Why is solving a 2 electron spin 1/2 system important?

Solving a 2 electron spin 1/2 system is important because it allows us to understand the behavior and properties of quantum mechanical systems. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and information processing.

3. What are the challenges in solving a 2 electron spin 1/2 system?

Solving a 2 electron spin 1/2 system can be challenging because it involves complex mathematical calculations and requires a thorough understanding of quantum mechanics. Additionally, the interactions between the two electrons in the system can be difficult to predict and can lead to unexpected results.

4. What techniques are used to solve a 2 electron spin 1/2 system?

There are several techniques that can be used to solve a 2 electron spin 1/2 system, including the use of mathematical models and simulations. Other techniques such as perturbation theory, variational methods, and Monte Carlo methods can also be employed to solve the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving a 2 electron spin 1/2 system?

Solving a 2 electron spin 1/2 system has many practical applications, such as in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, which is used in medical imaging and chemical analysis. It is also important in the development of quantum technologies, such as quantum computers and quantum sensors.