Solving 2D FEM Error with Maxwell Version 17

In summary, a user working with Maxwell version 17 encountered an error while analyzing a 2D FEM model. The error states that the transient solver can only handle isotropic conductivity, and it is likely due to either attempting to simulate an anisotropic material or accidentally setting a material to be anisotropic. Most materials are isotropic, meaning they respond equally in all directions, while anisotropic materials have different responses based on direction.
Morteza
Hi,

I am working on Maxwell version 17. I have a simple motor to analysis 2D FEM.
However, when I analyze the model, I see this error.

"Maxwell2d solver, process solver2d error: Internal Solver Error: 'Transient solver handles only isotropic conductivity!'. (7:07:10 PM Apr 16, 2018)"

I am thankful if you help me.

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Morteza said:
Hi,

I am working on Maxwell version 17. I have a simple motor to analysis 2D FEM.
However, when I analyze the model, I see this error.

"Maxwell2d solver, process solver2d error: Internal Solver Error: 'Transient solver handles only isotropic conductivity!'. (7:07:10 PM Apr 16, 2018)"

I am thankful if you help me.

Regards.

I'm not an Ansys user but I do use Comsol which does similar things.

What this is saying is one of your materials has been defined to have anisotropic properties but the solver doesn't know how to do tensor algebra (which would be required). It's just bailing out as soon as it sees what it can't solve.

This is probably due to one of two scenarios

1. You actually wanted to simulate an anisotropic material - basically you can't do that (as the program say). It's possible, based on the error, that a steady-state simulation could be solved with an anisotropic material but I honestly don't know - I'm inferring this from the error message
  2. You accidentally setup a material as being anisotropic without realizing it and the material is actually isotropic - you have to set it to being isotropic
Most materials are isotropic - if you apply some force X, in any direction, you get a corresponding Y response in the same direction. Hence my suspicion for #2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotropy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisotropy

Examples of anisotropic materials include:
  1. Piezoelectric materials
  2. Pyroelectric materials
  3. Materials with anisotropic strain relationships such a non-Newtonian fluids, etc.

Likes berkeman

What is 2D FEM Error in Maxwell Version 17?

2D FEM Error refers to the error or deviation between the solution obtained from a Finite Element Method (FEM) analysis in Maxwell Version 17 and the actual physical behavior of a 2-dimensional electromagnetic system. This error can occur due to various factors such as mesh size, element type, boundary conditions, and material properties.

Why is it important to solve 2D FEM Error in Maxwell Version 17?

Solving 2D FEM Error in Maxwell Version 17 is important because it helps to ensure accurate and reliable simulation results. By minimizing the error, the simulated behavior of the electromagnetic system will be closer to its real-life counterpart. This is crucial for making informed design decisions and optimizing the performance of devices.

What are the common methods used to solve 2D FEM Error in Maxwell Version 17?

The two most commonly used methods to solve 2D FEM Error in Maxwell Version 17 are mesh refinement and convergence analysis. Mesh refinement involves dividing the finite element mesh into smaller elements, resulting in a more accurate solution. Convergence analysis, on the other hand, involves varying the mesh size and observing the change in the solution to determine the optimal mesh size.

Can 2D FEM Error be completely eliminated in Maxwell Version 17?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate 2D FEM Error in Maxwell Version 17. However, it can be minimized to an acceptable level by using appropriate techniques and methods, such as those mentioned above. The goal is to achieve a balance between accuracy and computational efficiency.

Are there any limitations to solving 2D FEM Error in Maxwell Version 17?

Yes, there are some limitations to solving 2D FEM Error in Maxwell Version 17. These include the complexity of the geometry, material properties, and boundary conditions, which can make it challenging to accurately capture the behavior of the electromagnetic system. Additionally, solving extremely small or large models can also be computationally expensive.