Solving 2D Movement with Acceleration: A Puzzling Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the movement of objects in a 2D game. The goal is to either find an acceleration vector that ensures the object reaches a target point or determine how to apply acceleration so that the object stops on the target point. The conversation explores different approaches, including solving for time and calculating the ratio of acceleration components, but notes that it can be difficult to solve. The conversation also mentions the potential involvement of gravity and other forces in the game.
rippy
I'm kind of embarrassed I can't figure this out on my own... It's to be used to determine the movement of objects in a game (2d space). This is quite obviously something that has been solved many times over, but I haven't had any luck searching for an answer, so I thought I'd try here!

Homework Statement

You're given an initial xy-coordinate, an initial velocity vector, a target xy-coordinate, and the magnitude of the acceleration vector. The goal is one of the following:

(a) Find a single acceleration vector which ensures the object reaches the point (i.e. passes through the point).
(b) Determine how to apply acceleration such that velocity is zero when the target is reached (i.e. stop on the point)

I've been primarily trying to figure out the easier (a), but I'd like to figure both out eventually.

Homework Equations

Formulae for acceleration, velocity an position relative to time (these seem obvious so I'll omit them, hope that's okay).

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a): The object is at the point if its x-coordinate and y-coordinate match the target's coordinates at the same time. We can look at the separate x and y equations for calculating the object's position based on acceleration, time, initial velocity and initial position; then, by solving for time, we can equate them. Since we know the magnitude of the acceleration, and [itex](a_x)^2 + (a_y)^2 = a[/itex], we have two equations and two unknowns and can solve. However, you end up with two equated quadratic formulae which is a huge pain to attempt to solve.

My next thought was to just try to calculate the ratio of [itex](a_x)/(a_y)[/itex], but I've had no luck with that either.

This isn't homework, so there's no need to be cryptic! It seems like somewhat of a homeworkey problem though so I thought it would be most appropriate to post here anyway. Currently my game objects are moving around at constant velocity and it is not satisfying at all.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Is gravity involved? Is it a 2-D surface game? Once an object is launched, what forces are there that can slow it down? Lots of definition needed here.

1. What is 2D movement with acceleration?

2D movement with acceleration refers to the motion of an object in two dimensions (x and y) while also experiencing a change in velocity, or acceleration. This can be represented using vector equations to show the direction and magnitude of the object's movement.

2. Why is this problem considered "puzzling"?

This problem is considered "puzzling" because it can be quite challenging to solve without a solid understanding of vector equations and the relationships between displacement, velocity, and acceleration. It also requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills to determine the correct approach and solution.

3. How do scientists solve 2D movement problems with acceleration?

Scientists use mathematical models, such as vector equations, to represent the motion of an object in 2D space. They also use principles of physics, such as Newton's Laws of Motion, to determine the relationship between displacement, velocity, and acceleration. By plugging in known values and using algebraic manipulation, scientists can solve for unknown variables and accurately predict the motion of an object.

4. What are some real-world applications of solving 2D movement problems with acceleration?

This type of problem-solving is essential in many fields, including physics, engineering, and robotics. It can be used to predict the motion of projectiles, the movement of objects in a gravitational field, and the behavior of vehicles or machines. It is also crucial in video game development, where realistic movement and physics are required.

5. Are there any limitations to solving 2D movement problems with acceleration?

While this method can accurately predict the motion of objects in ideal conditions, it may not account for variables such as air resistance, friction, or external forces. In real-world scenarios, these factors may affect the accuracy of the predictions. Additionally, solving 2D movement problems with acceleration may become more complex when dealing with multiple objects and their interactions with each other.