Solving a Ball Dropped from 1.75m: Velocity and Impulse Calculations

In summary, a ball dropped from a height of 1.75m and bounces to a maximum height of 1.35m above the floor. The ball's weight is 98.5g. Its velocity just before the bounce is -5.863m/s and just after the bounce is 5.149m/s. The impulse that the ball receives in the bounce is approximately 1.08 kgm/s. Assuming the ball is in contact with the floor for 15ms, the ball's average acceleration in the bounce is 734 m/s^2.
shanie

Homework Statement

A ball is dropped from a height of 1.75m. It bounces on the floor and reaches a maximum height of 1.35m above the floor. The ball's weight is 98.5g.
a) What is the ball's velocity just before and just after the bounce?
b) How large is the impulse that the ball gets in the bounce?
c) Assume that the ball is in contact with the floor for 15 ms. What is the ball's average acceleration in the bounce?

Homework Equations

a) mgh=mv2/2, where the heights are 1.75 and 1.35 respectively.
b) I = Δp =mv2-mv1
c) average acceleration = Δv/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

Setting downward direction to negative, I've solved a) and b) in the following manner,

a) using the energy principles so that velocity before bounce, v1=(-5.863m/s)
and velocity after bounce, v2=5.149m/s
b) Taking the signs of the velocities into consideration: I=(0.985*5.15)-(0.985*-5.86)=0.985*[5.15-(-5.86)]≈10.8 kgm/s
c) I'm not sure whether Δv is 1)[5.863-5.149]
or 2) [5.149-(-5.863)],
because the first alternative gives an acceleration (setting Δt to 0.015s) of 47.6m/s2
And the second alternative gives a=734 m/s2.

In my opinion the second average acceleration seems excessively large, and so I'm unsure of which I should choose.. And furthermore, are the calculations in a) and b) correct? I could really use some help, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi shanie,

shanie said:

Homework Statement

A ball is dropped from a height of 1.75m. It bounces on the floor and reaches a maximum height of 1.35m above the floor. The ball's weight is 98.5g.
a) What is the ball's velocity just before and just after the bounce?
b) How large is the impulse that the ball gets in the bounce?
c) Assume that the ball is in contact with the floor for 15 ms. What is the ball's average acceleration in the bounce?

Homework Equations

a) mgh=mv2/2, where the heights are 1.75 and 1.35 respectively.
b) I = Δp =mv2-mv1
c) average acceleration = Δv/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

Setting downward direction to negative, I've solved a) and b) in the following manner,

a) using the energy principles so that velocity before bounce, v1=(-5.863m/s)
and velocity after bounce, v2=5.149m/s

These look okay to me, if you have chosen downwards to be negative (which shows up later in the problem).

b) Taking the signs of the velocities into consideration: I=(0.985*5.15)-(0.985*-5.86)=0.985*[5.15-(-5.86)]≈10.8 kgm/s

The procedure here is correct, but the numbers are not right. The mass is not 0.985kg.

c) I'm not sure whether Δv is 1)[5.863-5.149]
or 2) [5.149-(-5.863)],
because the first alternative gives an acceleration (setting Δt to 0.015s) of 47.6m/s2
And the second alternative gives a=734 m/s2.

Although only one is right, I want to point out in your alternative 1 you left off the minus sign from 5.863m/s. So your alternative 1 should be: ( (-5.863) - 5.149), giving a negative number with the same magnitude as alternative 2.

However, [itex]\Delta v[/itex] means [itex]v_{\rm final}-v_{\rm initial}[/itex], so if you're looking for the [itex]\Delta v[/itex] of the bounce, which would be correct?

Thank you so much alphysicist!
I realized the mass is 0.0985kg, giving an impulse of 1.08 kgm/s. Also for c) I'd say now it's rather obvious that the second alternative is the correct one, since vfinal = 5.149 m/s and vinitial=5.863m/s, giving \Delta v=11.01m/s, and the acceleration must be positive because the ball is bouncing upwards in the positive direction. Hence, the acceleration is 734 m/s^2?

Related to Solving a Ball Dropped from 1.75m: Velocity and Impulse Calculations

1. How do you calculate the velocity of a ball dropped from 1.75m?

To calculate the velocity of a ball dropped from 1.75m, you can use the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s²), and h is the height of the drop (1.75m). Plugging in the values, we get v = √(2 * 9.8m/s² * 1.75m) = √34.3 = 5.86m/s.

2. How do you calculate the impulse of a ball dropped from 1.75m?

To calculate the impulse of a ball dropped from 1.75m, you can use the formula J = mΔv, where J is the impulse, m is the mass of the ball, and Δv is the change in velocity. Since we already calculated the velocity in the previous question, we can use that value and the mass of the ball to calculate the impulse.

3. What is the unit of measurement for velocity and impulse?

The unit of measurement for velocity is meters per second (m/s) and the unit of measurement for impulse is newton-seconds (N*s).

4. How does the height of the drop affect the velocity and impulse of the ball?

The height of the drop directly affects the velocity of the ball, as seen in the formula v = √(2gh). The higher the drop, the higher the velocity. As for impulse, the height of the drop does not directly affect it, but it can indirectly affect it by changing the velocity of the ball, as seen in the formula J = mΔv.

5. Can you use these calculations for any object dropped from 1.75m?

Yes, these calculations can be used for any object dropped from 1.75m, as long as the object is subject to the same gravitational acceleration (9.8m/s²) and follows the laws of physics. However, if the object has a significantly different mass, the results may vary.