Magnitude of the average force exerted by ground on a ball.

In summary, the problem involves a partially inflated basketball with a mass of 0.625kg and an initial speed of 3.30m/s. After bouncing, the ball loses half of its kinetic energy and the question is to determine its speed and the average force exerted by the ground on the ball. Using the equations KE=.5mv^2 and Fav=m(Δv)/(Δt), the final velocity is found to be 2.33m/s. To calculate the average force, gravity needs to be taken into account and the net force is found to be 381N. The forces acting on the ball during the collision with the ground are the gravitational force and the normal force from the ground.
NinjaChachi

Homework Statement

Just before hitting the ground, a partially inflated 0.625kg basketball has a speed of 3.30m/s. Then it loses half of its kinetic energy as it bounces. (A)What is the ball's speed immediately after it bounces?(B) If the ball is in contact with the ground for 9.25ms, what is the magnitude of the average force exerted by the ground on the ball?

Homework Equations

None of these are positive but:
KE=.5mv^2
Fav=m(Δv)/(Δt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found part A I believe. I just found the initial KE in that being KE=.5(.625)(3.30)^2 and got KE0=3.4
then it loses half so KEf=1.7 so to find the velocity I set up 1.7=.5(.625)v^2 and found the final velocity to be 2.33m/s.

I am quite confused on part B. I have tried m(Δv)/(Δt) to find the Fav but didn't get the right answer (381N). What do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
NinjaChachi said:
I found part A I believe. I just found the initial KE in that being KE=.5(.625)(3.30)^2 and got KE0=3.4
then it loses half so KEf=1.7 so to find the velocity I set up 1.7=.5(.625)v^2 and found the final velocity to be 2.33m/s.
Good.

NinjaChachi said:
I am quite confused on part B. I have tried m(Δv)/(Δt) to find the Fav but didn't get the right answer (381N). What do I do?
What did you use for Δv? Did you take gravity into account?

Doc Al said:
Good.What did you use for Δv? Did you take gravity into account?
No I didn't use gravity. I just used 3.3-2.33 and tried 2.33-3.3. How would I take gravity into account?

NinjaChachi said:
No I didn't use gravity. I just used 3.3-2.33 and tried 2.33-3.3.
Try that again. Realize that the final and initial velocities have different directions.

NinjaChachi said:
How would I take gravity into account?
Realize that m(Δv)/(Δt) will give you the average net force. What forces act on the ball during the collision with the ground?

1. What is the magnitude of the average force exerted by the ground on a ball?

The magnitude of the average force exerted by the ground on a ball is equal to the product of the ball's mass and its acceleration. This can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

2. How does the mass of the ball affect the average force exerted by the ground?

The mass of the ball directly affects the magnitude of the average force exerted by the ground. The greater the mass of the ball, the greater the force needed to accelerate it, resulting in a higher average force exerted by the ground.

3. Does the type of ground surface affect the average force exerted on the ball?

Yes, the type of ground surface can affect the average force exerted on the ball. A softer surface, such as grass or sand, will exert less force on the ball compared to a harder surface, such as concrete or asphalt.

4. Is the average force exerted by the ground constant throughout the ball's motion?

No, the average force exerted by the ground is not constant throughout the ball's motion. As the ball moves, the force exerted by the ground may change depending on the surface, the angle of impact, and other factors.

5. How can the average force exerted by the ground be measured?

The average force exerted by the ground can be measured using a force sensor or by analyzing the ball's acceleration using motion tracking technology. It can also be calculated using the ball's mass and acceleration data obtained through experiments or simulations.