Solving a Cart Motion Problem: Understanding the Graphs

In summary, at t=4 the cart is at rest, at t=9 it is moving at a speed of -1/5*t, and at t=12 it is moving at a speed of -9.8*t2. The cart leaves the track at t=20 and hits the ground at 2.86 seconds later.
joemama69

Homework Statement

A .5 kg cart moves on a horizontal surface. The graph of vx,t is attached

a) Indicate all time cart is at rest
b)indicate every time interval for which the speed is increasing
c)determine the horizontal position of x of the car at t=9s if the cart is located at x=2 @ t=0
d)sketch the acceleration versus time graph for the motion of the cart from t=0 to t = 2.5s
e)from t=2.5 until the car reaches the end of the trach, the car continues wiht constant horizontal velocity. the car leaves the end of the trach and htis the floor, which is .4m below the track. 1) find the time it takes to hit the floor from the track 2) find horizontal distance 3) the velocity when it hits the ground

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) t = 4 & 18
b) t= (9-12) & (17-20)
c)first i found the slop of the velocity m = (.8--1)/(0-9) = -1/5

so v = -1/5*t + .8

to find the displacement i believe i integrate to get

x = -1/10 t2 + .8t

x(9) = -.9 where did i go wrong

d) it would simply be a horizontal line at a = -.2 from 0-9, then a horizontal line @ a = .2 from 9-12, then a horizontal ilne at zero from 12 - 17, then a horizontal line @ a = .4 from 17 to 20, then a horinzontal straight ine @ a = 0 from 20 +

e1) vx = .8
y = yo + vyt - .5gt2
-.4 = -.5(9.8)t2 t = 2.86 s

e2) x = xo + vxt
x = .8(2.86) = .23 m

e3) vy = vyo - gt
vy = -9.8(2.86) = -28 m/s

so the initial velocity = sqrt(282 + .82) = 28.01 m/s

Attachments

• 8.pdf
    4.5 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi joemama69! :smile:
joemama69 said:
… The graph of vx,t is attached …

erm :redface: … nooo, it isn't! :wink:

now it is sorry

Hi joemama69!

ok, I can see it now! :biggrin:

Your a b and d are fine. :smile:

In your c, you've done two things wrong …
joemama69 said:
x = -1/10 t2 + .8t

x(9) = -.9 where did i go wrong

i] you didn't include the "constant" (the cart is located at x=2 @ t=0)

ii] you're completely missing the point of the graphical method by resorting to equations …

the advantage of a velocity/time graph is that you can find the distance by simply measuring the area under the graph (remember, of course, that "under" means "between the graph and the axis", and so is negative if the graph is below the axis :wink:)

(and you should have used the same method in e)

1. What is a cart motion problem?

A cart motion problem is a physics problem that involves analyzing the motion of a cart along a track or surface. The goal is to understand the relationship between the cart's position, velocity, and acceleration over time.

2. How do I solve a cart motion problem?

To solve a cart motion problem, you will need to use the principles of kinematics, which is the study of motion without considering its causes. This involves understanding the relationships between position, velocity, and acceleration, as well as using equations such as the kinematic equations or the area under a velocity-time graph.

3. What are the key components of a cart motion graph?

The key components of a cart motion graph are the x-axis (representing time), the y-axis (representing position, velocity, or acceleration), and the shape of the graph. The shape can tell you about the cart's motion, such as whether it is moving at a constant speed, accelerating, or decelerating.

4. How do I interpret a cart motion graph?

To interpret a cart motion graph, you will need to look at the shape of the graph, as well as the values on the axes. The slope of the graph can tell you about the cart's velocity, while the area under the graph can tell you about the cart's displacement. Additionally, the points where the graph intersects the x-axis can tell you about the cart's initial position and time.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a cart motion problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a cart motion problem include using incorrect equations, not paying attention to the units of measurement, and not considering the direction of motion. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and use the correct equations and units to ensure an accurate solution.