Solving a Complex Logical Equivalence in CNF Form

In summary: This is equivalent to \overline{p\leftrightarrow q}\lor r because both expressions contain \bar{p}\bar{q}r and they are either both false or both true. So the CNF form of (p \iff q ) \implies r is (\bar{p}\lor\bar{q}\lor r)(p\lor q\lor r).In summary, the conversation discusses converting the statement (p \iff q ) \implies r into Conjunctive Normal Form (CNF). The first part of the conversion is done using logical equivalences and De Morgan's and distribution rules. The second part involves using XOR and $\land$ to create the CNF form of the statement. The resulting form
Yankel
Hello all,

I am trying to bring this:

[tex](p \iff q ) \implies r[/tex]

into a CNF form. I have started with the logical equivalences:

[tex](p \implies q) = \lnot p\lor q[/tex]
[tex](p \iff q) = (p \land q)\lor (\lnot p \land \lnot q)[/tex]

and then I have applied De Morgan's rules and the distribution rules, but unsuccessfully. I do know that every statement has a CNF. Can you please assist me with finding it?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yankel said:
and then I have applied De Morgan's rules and the distribution rules, but unsuccessfully.
Did your paper burst into flames? :D Sorry, I'll show myself out.

In working with big Boolean formulas I find the following notations useful: conjunction is dropped and \(\displaystyle \neg p\) is written as \(\displaystyle \bar{p}\). Note that
\[
\overline{p\leftrightarrow q}=\overline{pq\lor\bar{p}\bar{q}}=\overline{pq}\overline{\bar{p}\bar{q}}=(\bar{p}\lor\bar{q})(p\lor q)=p\bar{q}\lor\bar{p}q
\]
In the last equality I used distributivity and the facts that $p\bar{p}=0$ and $p\lor0=p$. For the future you may note that $p\bar{q}\lor\bar{p}q$ is called "exclusive OR" or XOR. It is the negation of $\leftrightarrow$ and is often denoted by $\oplus$. It is a very nice connective because together with $\land$ it behaves exactly as addition and multiplication modulo 2. Also, every function is represented using only $\oplus$, $\land$ and 1; this is called the algebraic normal form.

So,
\[
(p\leftrightarrow q)\to r=\overline{p\leftrightarrow q}\lor r=(\bar{p}\lor\bar{q})(p\lor q)\lor r=(\bar{p}\lor\bar{q}\lor r)(p\lor q\lor r).
\]
The last equality uses distributivity of $\lor$ over $\land$: $pq\lor r=(p\lor r)(q\lor r)$.

Thank you.

I managed to do the first part of your calculation. The problem remains in the second part.

You (and I) got that the negation of [tex]p \iff q [/tex] is in DNF form. But when you went back and put the result together with [tex] \lor r [/tex], you put it differently. This is the part I miss here, can you please explain?

Yankel said:
But when you went back and put the result together with [tex] \lor r [/tex], you put it differently. This is the part I miss here, can you please explain?
I replaced \(\displaystyle \overline{p\leftrightarrow q}\) with \(\displaystyle (\bar{p}\lor\bar{q})(p\lor q)\), which is the second last expression in the first line of formulas in my previous post.

1. What does CNF stand for?

CNF stands for Conjunctive Normal Form. It is a specific form or structure that logical statements can be represented in.

2. What is a complex logical equivalence?

A complex logical equivalence refers to a statement or group of statements that have multiple logical operators (such as AND, OR, NOT) and are equivalent to each other. In other words, they have the same truth value regardless of the values of the variables involved.

3. Why is it important to solve a complex logical equivalence in CNF form?

Solving a complex logical equivalence in CNF form allows for simpler and more efficient analysis and manipulation of the logical statements. It also helps to identify any errors or contradictions in the statements.

4. How do you solve a complex logical equivalence in CNF form?

The process typically involves breaking down the statements into smaller, simpler parts, applying logical equivalences and simplification rules, and then combining them back together. This can be done manually or using automated tools or algorithms.

5. Can complex logical equivalences be solved in other forms besides CNF?

Yes, complex logical equivalences can also be solved in other forms such as Disjunctive Normal Form (DNF) or Truth Tables. However, CNF form is often preferred due to its simplicity and ease of use in certain applications and algorithms.