Using Logical Equivalences to Simplify a Statement

• I
  • Thread starter Of Mike and Men
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplify
In summary, the conversation discusses the distributive property in discrete mathematics and how it is used to simplify expressions. The Distributive Law takes two forms: x ∧ (y ∨ z) ≡ (x ∧ y) ∨ (x ∧ y) and x ∨ (y ∧ z) ≡ (x ∨ y) ∧ (x ∨ y). The conversation also addresses the confusion around the application of the Distributive Law in the specific example being discussed.
Of Mike and Men
Hey everyone, I am in a discrete math course, and I was reading pre-reading the textbook (Discrete Mathematics with Applied Applications by Epp 4th Ed.), but didn't understand their example, I don't understand, specifically, the distributive portion. I don't see how they distributed it like that, if someone could expound on it, it'd be great.

Verify ~(~p ∧ q) ∧ (p ∨ q) ≡ p

~(~p ∧ q ) ∧ (p ∨ q) ≡ (~(~p) ∨ ~q) ∧ (p∨q) De Morgan's Laws
≡(p ∨ ~q) ∧ (p ∨ q) Double Negative Law
≡p ∨ (~q ∧ q) Distributive Law (the part I don't understand)
≡ p ∨ ℂ Negation Law
≡ p Identity Law

Physics news on Phys.org
Of Mike and Men said:
Hey everyone, I am in a discrete math course, and I was reading pre-reading the textbook (Discrete Mathematics with Applied Applications by Epp 4th Ed.), but didn't understand their example, I don't understand, specifically, the distributive portion. I don't see how they distributed it like that, if someone could expound on it, it'd be great.

x ∧ (y ∨ z) ≡ ( x ∧ y) ∨ (x ∧ z), right? Each side is equivalent to the other, so you can replace either one with the other. The full name of this property is Distributivity of ∧ over ∨.
Of Mike and Men said:
≡ p ∨ ℂ Negation Law
≡ p Identity Law

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
x ∧ (y ∨ z) ≡ ( x ∧ y) ∨ (x ∧ z), right? Each side is equivalent to the other, so you can replace either one with the other. The full name of this property is Distributivity of ∧ over ∨.

I understand your example, but I'm not seeing it with the example from my op. I guess I'm confused in how this 'distributes' when x = (y ∧ z). Does it foil? Because when following the same method of your post I get:

((p ∨ ~q) ∧ p) ∨ ((p ∨ ~q) ∧ q)), which just turns into a vicious cycle of the same thing over and over when 'simplifying.' I'm obviously not understanding something fundamental with the distributive property, as I'm sure what I wrote is incorrect. I guess my confusion is when your 'x' in your example has multiple terms, so-to-speak i.e. where in algebra it'd be foiled.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't understand the last line either (I misread it in my earlier post), and I think there might be a typo. I believe the last line above should instead be
≡p ∧ (~q ∨ q) Distributive Law
Is what you wrote exactly what is shown in your book?

The next to last line in what I quoted becomes
p ∧ (~q ∨ q)
according to the Distributive Property.

Further simplifying,
~q ∨ q is always true (a tautology), so p ∧ (~q ∨ q) simplifies to just p.

Mark44 said:
I don't understand the last line either (I misread it in my earlier post), and I think there might be a typo. I believe the last line above should instead be
≡p ∧ (~q ∨ q) Distributive Law
Is what you wrote exactly what is shown in your book?

The next to last line in what I quoted becomes
p ∧ (~q ∨ q)
according to the Distributive Property.

Further simplifying,
~q ∨ q is always true (a tautology), so p ∧ (~q ∨ q) simplifies to just p.

I double-checked what I had typed, and that line IS correct: p ∨ (~q ∧ q)

However, this isn't the part I'm confused about, forgive me if that's what it seemed like. The confusion is actually from line 2 of the solution to line 3 of the solution, that is the De Morgan's:

I get this is the part that is a 'typo', however, what I don't understand is how to distribute from the double negative law. When I do so I get: ((p ∨ ~q) ∧ p) ∨ ((p ∨ ~q) ∧ q)). I'm fine with what you've said, and the way the book goes about simplifying with what they have. It's just the distribution I don't understand. Other than the: x ∧ (y ∨ z) ≡ ( x ∧ y) ∨ (x ∧ z).

As for the 'typo' they got that it becomes p or contradiction which is equivalent to p.

Of Mike and Men said:
However, this isn't the part I'm confused about, forgive me if that's what it seemed like. The confusion is actually from line 2 of the solution to line 3 of the solution, that is the De Morgan's:

Just to be clear, the text description on each line is the justification for going from the previous line to the line with the description. Maybe you understand that, but I'm not sure.

The Distributive Law takes two forms:
x ∧ (y ∨ z) ≡ (x ∧ y) ∨ (x ∧ y)
and
x ∨ (y ∧ z) ≡ (x ∨ y) ∧ (x ∨ y)

If the latter formula is reversed, you get
(x ∨ y) ∧ (x ∨ y) ≡ x ∨ (y ∧ z)

In the line marked "Double Negative Law" they are using this formulation to rewrite the expression of that line to its revised form on the line below (the line marked "Distributive Law").
Of Mike and Men said:
I get this is the part that is a 'typo', however, what I don't understand is how to distribute from the double negative law. When I do so I get: ((p ∨ ~q) ∧ p) ∨ ((p ∨ ~q) ∧ q)). I'm fine with what you've said, and the way the book goes about simplifying with what they have. It's just the distribution I don't understand. Other than the: x ∧ (y ∨ z) ≡ ( x ∧ y) ∨ (x ∧ z).

As for the 'typo' they got that it becomes p or contradiction which is equivalent to p.

Of Mike and Men said:

Do you understand that the distributive law can be used "backwards"? Not only can you go from ##A \lor( B \land C) ## to ## (A \lor B) \land (A \lor C) ##, you can also go from ##(A \lor B) \land (A \lor C)## "back" to ##A \lor( B \land C) ##.

1. How can logical equivalences be used to simplify a statement?

Logical equivalences are used to show that two statements are logically equivalent, meaning they have the same truth value in all circumstances. By using logical equivalences, we can manipulate and transform a complex statement into a simpler form without changing its truth value.

2. What are some common logical equivalences used in simplifying statements?

Some common logical equivalences include the commutative, associative, and distributive properties, as well as De Morgan's laws and the double negation law. These equivalences can be used to rearrange, combine, and negate different parts of a statement to simplify it.

3. Can logical equivalences be used to prove the validity of a statement?

No, logical equivalences can only be used to simplify a statement. To prove the validity of a statement, we must use logical rules of inference and apply them to the premises to arrive at the conclusion.

4. Are there any limitations to using logical equivalences to simplify a statement?

Yes, there are limitations to using logical equivalences. Not all statements can be simplified using logical equivalences, and some statements may become more complex when trying to apply these equivalences. It also requires a good understanding and application of the logical equivalences.

5. How can simplifying a statement using logical equivalences be helpful?

Simplifying a statement using logical equivalences can make it easier to understand and evaluate the logic behind the statement. It can also help in identifying any errors or flaws in the statement and can make it more concise and precise.