Solving a DE for modelling the spread of an infectious disease

In summary, this model is related to a mathematical model of the spread of an infectious disease. The model involves a delay differential equation and has a well-established theory. There are pointers provided about how to solve it, and it is possible to model the peak and decline in the infection rate if interactions between the infected and uninfected populations are taken into account.
greswd
This DE is related to a mathematical model of the spread of an infectious disease: $$f'\left(x\right)=a\cdot\left[f\left(x\right)-f\left(x-b\right)\right]$$

where a and b are positive constants.

I would like some pointers as to how I should begin attempting to solve it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Most disturbing is the difference between the function values on the RHS. I would therefore search for a logarithmic function ##f##.

Just some thoughts: The set of solutions is a vector space containing the constant functions. Also if ##ab=1##, then degree ##1## polynomials ##y=px+q## are solutions. [Edited to avoid re-using the letters ##a## and ##b##]

You can also try an exponential solution ##y=e^{\lambda x}##. Substituting this,

$$\lambda e^{\lambda x}=a(e^{\lambda x}-e^{\lambda (x-b)})=ae^{\lambda x}(1-e^{-\lambda b}),$$

so we want to find ##\lambda## satisfying the equation ##\lambda=a(1-e^{-\lambda b}).## Now ##\lambda=0## is always a solution (giving the constant solutions), but others will usually exist.

In fact, as long as the graphs of ##\lambda## and ##a(1-e^{-\lambda b})## are not tangent at ##\lambda=0##, there will be another solution by IVT arguments. In order for them to be tangent, we need ##\frac{d}{d\lambda}\big\vert_{\lambda=0}\lambda=1## to be equal to ##\frac{d}{d\lambda}\big\vert_{\lambda=0}a(1-e^{-\lambda b})=ab##, that is ##ab=1##.

So, we have linear solutions when ##ab=1##, and exponential solutions when ##ab\neq 1##.

I've assumed ##a## and ##b## are positive, please say if this is not justified in your model.
I also haven't though about uniqueness; I don't know if there are other solutions.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes greswd and S.G. Janssens
greswd said:
This DE is related to a mathematical model of the spread of an infectious disease: $$f'\left(x\right)=a\cdot\left[f\left(x\right)-f\left(x-b\right)\right]$$

where a and b are positive constants.

I would like some pointers as to how I should begin attempting to solve it.

This type of equation is known as a "delay differential equation" (DDE) or a "(retarded) functional differential equation" (RFDE). It occurs frequently in mathematical epidemiology, among other fields, and it has a well-established theory. Here are some pointers.

1. The initial-value problem requires the prescription of a function segment (called a "history") on the interval ##[-b,0]##, so it is intrinsically infinite dimensional. Time is usually scaled such that ##b = 1## can be chosen, and as the state space one can then work with ##C[-1,0]## (with the maximum-norm), but other choices such as ##L^p(-1,0)## are also possible.

2. The characteristic equation in post #3 is analyzed in detail in Chapter XI of this text using elementary complex analysis, also see the references there to earlier literature, as well as the book by Bellman and Cooke. In general, the stability problem for linear DDEs leads to the analysis of an exponential polynomial.

3. The question of completeness of the set of exponential solutions is not trivial, precisely due to the infinite-dimensional nature of DDEs, in contrast with finite-dimensional ODEs. If you are interested in this aspect, you could consult Chapter V of the first text mentioned above.

Depending on how serious you are about pursuing this, feel free to ask me further questions.

Likes jim mcnamara and Infrared
Infrared said:
Just some thoughts: The set of solutions is a vector space containing the constant functions. Also if ##ab=1##, then degree ##1## polynomials ##y=px+q## are solutions. [Edited to avoid re-using the letters ##a## and ##b##]

You can also try an exponential solution ##y=e^{\lambda x}##. Substituting this,

$$\lambda e^{\lambda x}=a(e^{\lambda x}-e^{\lambda (x-b)})=ae^{\lambda x}(1-e^{-\lambda b}),$$

so we want to find ##\lambda## satisfying the equation ##\lambda=a(1-e^{-\lambda b}).## Now ##\lambda=0## is always a solution (giving the constant solutions), but others will usually exist.

In fact, as long as the graphs of ##\lambda## and ##a(1-e^{-\lambda b})## are not tangent at ##\lambda=0##, there will be another solution by IVT arguments. In order for them to be tangent, we need ##\frac{d}{d\lambda}\big\vert_{\lambda=0}\lambda=1## to be equal to ##\frac{d}{d\lambda}\big\vert_{\lambda=0}a(1-e^{-\lambda b})=ab##, that is ##ab=1##.

So, we have linear solutions when ##ab=1##, and exponential solutions when ##ab\neq 1##.

I've assumed ##a## and ##b## are positive, please say if this is not justified in your model.
I also haven't though about uniqueness; I don't know if there are other solutions.

thank you, yes, ##a## and ##b## are positive, and your model has re-derived all of the infection mechanisms.

what do you think the general solution is, something that accommodates both the linear and exponential solutions?

If you are going to model this even crudely, there is another key factor that you have so far neglected to include in your equations. The is the effect of interactions between infected contagious individuals and individuals that have not yet been infected. It is the product of the population density of contagious individuals with the population density of uninfected individuals (i.e., characterizing the interactions between these populations) that determines the rate of new infections. More importantly still, and not even suggested by the media, is that it is the depletion of the uninfected population density that is responsible for the characteristic of reaching a peak in the infection rate and then declining. This is a a feature of all the models currently in use. If you don't include this in your model, you will not be able to model the peak.

Current estimates are that about 30% of the New York State population has been infected, most undetected and unconfirmed. And about 10% of the US population has already been infected. This is why we are seeing peaks in the curves, even with the overall lower infection rates from social distancing.

Once you have included this missing factor in your model (as I have outlined in several of my posts in the other thread), your equations will no longer be linear, and they will not be analytically solvable. You will have to resort to numerical integration to solve the model. In the solutions I have presented in earlier posts in the other thread), I carried out the integration using Forward Euler on an Excel spreadsheet.

1. What is a differential equation (DE)?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is commonly used in modeling dynamic systems, such as the spread of infectious diseases, where the rate of change of a variable is dependent on its current value.

2. How does a DE model the spread of an infectious disease?

A DE can model the spread of an infectious disease by representing the rate of change of the number of infected individuals over time. This is typically done using a system of differential equations that takes into account factors such as the transmission rate, recovery rate, and population size.

3. What are the limitations of using a DE to model infectious diseases?

DE models for infectious diseases have several limitations, including the assumption of a homogenous population, the lack of consideration for individual behaviors, and the difficulty in accurately predicting future trends. These models should be used as a tool for understanding and not as a definitive predictor of disease spread.

4. How can a DE model be validated?

A DE model can be validated by comparing its predictions to real-world data. This can involve adjusting the model's parameters and initial conditions to match the observed data and evaluating the model's accuracy over time. Additionally, the model can be tested against different scenarios to see if it can accurately predict the spread of the disease under varying conditions.

5. Can a DE model be used to inform public health interventions?

Yes, a DE model can be used to inform public health interventions by providing insights into the potential impact of different interventions on the spread of an infectious disease. For example, a model can be used to determine the most effective measures for reducing the transmission rate and controlling the spread of the disease within a population.