Solving a differential equation with substitution

In summary: Just don't let it happen again.In summary, the conversation discusses a small part of a question from a book regarding solving differential equations with substitution. The individual encountered a substitution of y(x)=1/v(x) and is unsure about finding dy/dx in terms of dv/dx. They mention the possibility of posting the whole question, but it is not necessary as the chain rule can be applied to solve the problem.
BearY
This is a small part of a question from the book, so I think the format does not really apply here.

When doing questions for solving differential equation with substitution, I encountered a substitution ##
y(x)=\frac{1}{v(x)} ##. And I am not sure about the calculus in finding ## \frac{dy}{dx} ## in terms of ## \frac{dv}{dx} ## .

I guess I can post the whole question if the format is really mandatory but this is the only part I can't figure out.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
BearY said:
This is a small part of a question from the book, so I think the format does not really apply here.

When doing questions for solving differential equation with substitution, I encountered a substitution ##
y(x)=\frac{1}{v(x)} ##. And I am not sure about the calculus in finding ## \frac{dy}{dx} ## in terms of ## \frac{dv}{dx} ## .

I guess I can post the whole question if the format is really mandatory but this is the only part I can't figure out.

Thanks in advance!

It's the chain rule. Let ##f(x) = 1/x##, then:

##y(x) = f(v(x))##

Likes BearY
PeroK said:
It's the chain rule. Let ##f(x) = 1/x##, then:

##y(x) = f(v(x))##

Haha, right. I guess I should stop and get some rest.

BearY said:
I guess I can post the whole question if the format is really mandatory
Yes, it's really mandatory, but I'll let things slide this time.

1. What is the purpose of substitution in solving a differential equation?

Substitution is used to simplify a differential equation by replacing the existing variables with new ones. This allows us to transform the equation into a more manageable form, making it easier to solve.

2. How do I know which substitution to use?

The substitution used will depend on the type of differential equation being solved. Some common substitutions include using u-substitution for first-order equations and trigonometric substitutions for equations involving trigonometric functions.

3. Can I use any value for the substitution variable?

No, the substitution variable must be chosen carefully to ensure that the equation is simplified and solvable. It is important to follow the guidelines for choosing a substitution variable that are specific to the type of differential equation being solved.

4. What are the limitations of using substitution to solve a differential equation?

Substitution may not always be applicable to all differential equations. In some cases, it may lead to a more complex equation or may not provide a solution at all. It is important to understand the limitations and when it is appropriate to use substitution in solving a differential equation.

5. Are there any tips for solving a differential equation with substitution?

One helpful tip is to always check your final solution by plugging it back into the original equation. Another tip is to practice using different substitutions and familiarize yourself with their applications in different types of differential equations. This will make the process easier and more efficient.