Solving a Functional Equation Problem: Finding f(3)-f(0)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functional
In summary, the problem is to find the value of $f(3)-f(0)$ given a continuous function $f:R\rightarrow R$ satisfying the equation $f(x)-2f\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)+f \left( \frac{x}{4} \right)=x^2$. The attempt to solve this involves repeatedly applying the definition to fractions of $x$ and using the continuity of $f$ at $x=0$ to find a series representation for $f(x)$. Ultimately, the problem can be solved by summing the series and substituting the result for $f(x)$.
Saitama
Problem:
Let $f:R\rightarrow R$ be a continuous function such that
$$f(x)-2f\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)+f \left( \frac{x}{4} \right)=x^2$$
Find $f(3)-f(0)$.

Attempt:
I really don't know how should I approach this problem. I could only deduce that $f(0)=0$. Then I tried putting a few values for $x$ i.e $x=1,2,3$ but that doesn't seem to help. I honestly don't know what should I do to find the value of $f(3)$.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

(I am not sure if this should belong to the Algebra section)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav said:
Problem:
Let $f:R\rightarrow R$ be a continuous function such that
$$f(x)-2f\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)+f \left( \frac{x}{4} \right)=x^2$$
Find $f(3)-f(0)$.

Attempt:
I really don't know how should I approach this problem. I could only deduce that $f(0)=0$. Then I tried putting a few values for $x$ i.e $x=1,2,3$ but that doesn't seem to help. I honestly don't know what should I do to find the value of $f(3)$.
To start with, I do not see why $f(0)$ should be $0$. If you put $x=0$ in the above equation then you just get $0=0$.

Next, suppose that you repeatedly apply the definition to fractions of $x$, like this: $$\begin{aligned} f(x) &= x^2 + 2f\bigl(\tfrac x2\bigr) - f\bigl(\tfrac x4\bigr) \\ &= x^2 + 2\Bigl(\bigl(\tfrac x2\bigr)^2 + 2f\bigl(\tfrac x4\bigr) - f\bigl(\tfrac x8\bigr)\Bigr) - f\bigl(\tfrac x4\bigr) \\ &= x^2 + \tfrac{2x^2}4 + 3f\bigl(\tfrac x4\bigr) - 2f\bigl(\tfrac x8\bigr) \\ &= x^2 + \tfrac{2x^2}4 + 3\Bigl(\bigl(\tfrac x4\bigr)^2 + 2f\bigl(\tfrac x8\bigr) - f\bigl(\tfrac x{16}\bigr)\Bigr) - f\bigl(\tfrac x8\bigr) \\ &= \ldots .\end{aligned}$$ Continuing in that way, you should find a series for $f(x)$ that converges to a limit, giving a expression for $f(x) - f(0).$

Hi Opalg! :)

Opalg said:
To start with, I do not see why $f(0)$ should be $0$. If you put $x=0$ in the above equation then you just get $0=0$.

Sorry about that. :eek:

Next, suppose that you repeatedly apply the definition to fractions of $x$, like this: $$\begin{aligned} f(x) &= x^2 + 2f\bigl(\tfrac x2\bigr) - f\bigl(\tfrac x4\bigr) \\ &= x^2 + 2\Bigl(\bigl(\tfrac x2\bigr)^2 + 2f\bigl(\tfrac x4\bigr) - f\bigl(\tfrac x8\bigr)\Bigr) - f\bigl(\tfrac x4\bigr) \\ &= x^2 + \tfrac{2x^2}4 + 3f\bigl(\tfrac x4\bigr) - 2f\bigl(\tfrac x8\bigr) \\ &= x^2 + \tfrac{2x^2}4 + 3\Bigl(\bigl(\tfrac x4\bigr)^2 + 2f\bigl(\tfrac x8\bigr) - f\bigl(\tfrac x{16}\bigr)\Bigr) - f\bigl(\tfrac x8\bigr) \\ &= \ldots .\end{aligned}$$ Continuing in that way, you should find a series for $f(x)$ that converges to a limit, giving a expression for $f(x) - f(0).$

I don't get this. If I continue from where you left,
$$f(x)=\frac{3x^2}{2}+\frac{3x^2}{4^2}+5f\left( \frac{x}{8}\right)-3\left(\frac{x}{16}\right)$$
$$=\frac{3x^2}{2}+\frac{3x^2}{4^2}+5\left(\frac{x^2}{4^3}+2f\left(\frac{x}{16}\right)-f\left(\frac{x}{32}\right)\right)-3f\left(\frac{x}{16}\right)$$
$$=\frac{3x^2}{2}+\frac{3x^2}{4^2}+\frac{5x^2}{4^3}+7\left(\frac{x}{16}\right)-5f\left(\frac{x}{32}\right)$$
I don't see what I have to do with the above, I can keep on expanding the above and I will end up with a series plus (something)*f(x/something'). :confused:

Pranav said:
Opalg said:

Next, suppose that you repeatedly apply the definition to fractions of $x$, like this: $$\begin{aligned} f(x) &= x^2 + 2f\bigl(\tfrac x2\bigr) - f\bigl(\tfrac x4\bigr) \\ &= x^2 + 2\Bigl(\bigl(\tfrac x2\bigr)^2 + 2f\bigl(\tfrac x4\bigr) - f\bigl(\tfrac x8\bigr)\Bigr) - f\bigl(\tfrac x4\bigr) \\ &= x^2 + \tfrac{2x^2}4 + 3f\bigl(\tfrac x4\bigr) - 2f\bigl(\tfrac x8\bigr) \\ &= x^2 + \tfrac{2x^2}4 + 3\Bigl(\bigl(\tfrac x4\bigr)^2 + 2f\bigl(\tfrac x8\bigr) - f\bigl(\tfrac x{16}\bigr)\Bigr) - \color{red}{2}f\bigl(\tfrac x8\bigr)\quad \color{red}{\text{I left out a 2 from the previous line!}} \\ &= \ldots .\end{aligned}$$ Continuing in that way, you should find a series for $f(x)$ that converges to a limit, giving a expression for $f(x) - f(0).$
I don't get this. If I continue from where you left,
$$f(x)=\frac{3x^2}{2}+\frac{3x^2}{4^2}+5f\left( \frac{x}{8}\right)-3\left(\frac{x}{16}\right)$$
$$=\frac{3x^2}{2}+\frac{3x^2}{4^2}+5\left(\frac{x^2}{4^3}+2f\left(\frac{x}{16}\right)-f\left(\frac{x}{32}\right)\right)-3f\left(\frac{x}{16}\right)$$
$$=\frac{3x^2}{2}+\frac{3x^2}{4^2}+\frac{5x^2}{4^3}+7\left(\frac{x}{16}\right)-5f\left(\frac{x}{32}\right)$$
I don't see what I have to do with the above, I can keep on expanding the above and I will end up with a series plus (something)*f(x/something'). :confused:
Putting in the $2$ that I left out, you should end up with a series looking like \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{(k+1)x^2}{4^k} + (n+2)\,f\bigl(\tfrac x{2^{n+1}}\Bigr) - (n+1)\,f\bigl(\tfrac x{2^{n+2}}\Bigr).\) As $n\to\infty$, the continuity of $f$ at $x=0$ tells you that \(\displaystyle f(x) = \sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{(k+1)x^2}{4^k} + f(0).\) Then you just have to sum that series.

Opalg said:
Putting in the $2$ that I left out, you should end up with a series looking like \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{(k+1)x^2}{4^k} + (n+2)\,f\bigl(\tfrac x{2^{n+1}}\Bigr) - (n+1)\,f\bigl(\tfrac x{2^{n+2}}\Bigr).\) As $n\to\infty$, the continuity of $f$ at $x=0$ tells you that \(\displaystyle f(x) = \sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{(k+1)x^2}{4^k} + f(0).\) Then you just have to sum that series.

That is great! Thanks a lot Opalg! :)

I am sorry for being careless. :eek:

(I really miss the thanks button.)

Related to Solving a Functional Equation Problem: Finding f(3)-f(0)

1. What is a functional equation problem?

A functional equation problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a given equation. It is a type of problem that is commonly encountered in mathematics and can have various applications in different fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What makes a functional equation problem difficult?

Functional equation problems can be difficult because they often involve finding a function that satisfies a given equation, rather than finding a specific numerical solution. This requires a lot of creativity and mathematical insight, as there may be multiple solutions or no solutions at all. Additionally, functional equations often involve complex functions with many variables, making them challenging to solve.

3. What are some common strategies for solving functional equation problems?

Some common strategies for solving functional equation problems include substitution, manipulation of equations, and the use of symmetry and properties of functions. Other techniques such as fixed point iteration, induction, and graphing may also be useful depending on the specific problem.

4. Are there any real-world applications of functional equation problems?

Yes, functional equation problems have various real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. For example, they can be used to model and solve optimization problems, to study the behavior of physical systems, and to design algorithms for efficient data processing.

5. Is there a general approach for solving any functional equation problem?

No, there is no one-size-fits-all approach for solving functional equation problems. Each problem is unique and may require different techniques and strategies to solve. It is essential to carefully analyze the given equation and consider different approaches before attempting to solve the problem.