Solving a Moment Equation: Understanding the Relationship with AD

In summary: We have an equation. We cannot multiply some terms...and tb and w are also needed because they specify direction.
goldfish9776

Homework Statement

Inq this question, I am given that the u dot ( rb x tb + re x w) =0.
I knew that the rb x tb give a resultant moment pointed inside the book , which is parallel to AB... Then it cross with r AD, we will get the resultant moment.
But when re x w , I will gt the moment pointed in dx direction... How can it be related to AD?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20151001_125017.jpg
    IMG_20151001_125017.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_20151001_124924.jpg
    IMG_20151001_124924.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 377
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your question.
##\vec{r_b}\times \vec{T_B}## is the moment of the tension about D, while ##\vec {r_E}\times\vec W## is the moment of W about D.
To these we could add the moment of the forces at A about D and end up with 0, for equilibrium. However, that moment is orthogonal to ##\vec u##, so if we take the dot product with ##\vec u## that moment disappears, leaving the given equation.

haruspex said:
I don't understand your question.
##\vec{r_b}\times \vec{T_B}## is the moment of the tension about D, while ##\vec {r_E}\times\vec W## is the moment of W about D.
To these we could add the moment of the forces at A about D and end up with 0, for equilibrium. However, that moment is orthogonal to ##\vec u##, so if we take the dot product with ##\vec u## that moment disappears, leaving the given equation.
what do u mean by we could add the moment of the forces at A about D here ? I'm confused...forces at A are not taken into calculation here ...

goldfish9776 said:
what do u mean by we could add the moment of the forces at A about D here ? I'm confused...forces at A are not taken into calculation here ...
you mean by doing u dot ( rb x tb + re x w) , it means the moment of the forces at A about D

goldfish9776 said:
I mean that the full "sum of moments about D = 0" equation looks like :
moment of the tension about D + moment of W about D + moment of the forces at A about D = 0

If we then take the dot product of that with u then the last of those three terms vanishes, leaving:
u.(moment of the tension about D + moment of W about D) = 0

haruspex said:
moment of the tension about D + moment of W about D + moment of the forces at A about D = 0

If we then take the dot product of that with u then the last of those three terms vanishes, leaving:
why vector rDA is used here? why not rE ? this is weird becoz , moment of the tension about D + moment of W about D only pass thru rE ...

goldfish9776 said:
why vector rDA is used here? why not rE ? this is weird becoz , moment of the tension about D + moment of W about D only pass thru rE ...
I don't understand either of those points.
Where is rDA being used that you think is wrong? It would be used for the forces at A, yes, but rDA is in the same direction as u, so when we take the dot product of u with (rDA x forces at A) we get 0.
What do you mean about moments "passing through" rE? Forces pass through points, moments turn about points. All the moments being calculated here are about D.

haruspex said:

for them , why u is necessary ? aren't them have the vector rB and rE already ?

goldfish9776 said:
for them , why u is necessary ? aren't them have the vector rB and rE already ?
Taking the dot product with u is done to eliminate the forces at A from the equation.

haruspex said:
Taking the dot product with u is done to eliminate the forces at A from the equation.
That's only for force a right? Why tb and w also need to multiply u ?

goldfish9776 said:
That's only for force a right? Why tb and w also need to multiply u ?
We have an equation. We cannot multiply some terms of the equation by something and not other terms.

haruspex said:
We have an equation. We cannot multiply some terms of the equation by something and not other terms.
i still don't understand . why shouldn't thtotal moment about D = rB x tB + rE x W + (resultant force at A) x rDA ?

goldfish9776 said:
i still don't understand . why shouldn't thtotal moment about D = rB x tB + rE x W + (resultant force at A) x rDA ?
It does (except that you have the arguments of the last cross product in the wrong order; the distance vector should be on the left). But since the system is in equilibrium that total moment is zero. Write that as an equation. Now take the dot product of each side of that equation with u. What do you get?

haruspex said:
It does (except that you have the arguments of the last cross product in the wrong order; the distance vector should be on the left). But since the system is in equilibrium that total moment is zero. Write that as an equation. Now take the dot product of each side of that equation with u. What do you get?
sorry , i mean D = rB x tB + rE x W + rDA x (resultant force at A) ... why shouldn't the equation look like this ?

goldfish9776 said:
sorry , i mean D = rB x tB + rE x W + rDA x (resultant force at A) ... why shouldn't the equation look like this ?
I just answered that question. That equation is quite correct, but we need to move beyond it.
Step 1: since the system is in equilibrium, total moment about D is zero:
rB x tB + rE x W + rDA x (resultant force at A) = 0.
Step 2:
We want to eliminate the unknown (resultant force at A). We can do that by taking the dot product of both sides of the equation with u:
u.(rB x tB + rE x W + rDA x (resultant force at A)) = 0
u.rB x tB + u.rE x W + u.rDA x (resultant force at A) = u.0 = 0
Now, u.rDA x (resultant force at A) = 0
(can you see why?)

haruspex said:
I just answered that question. That equation is quite correct, but we need to move beyond it.
Step 2:
We want to eliminate the unknown (resultant force at A). We can do that by taking the dot product of both sides of the equation with u:
(can you see why?)
we already know that the resultant force at A should be parallel to rDA , right , this will bring the rDA x (resultant force at A) = 0 ? So, why would we have to do one more step(step 2 ) ?

goldfish9776 said:
we already know that the resultant force at A should be parallel to rDA , right
No. Why do you think that?

haruspex said:
No. Why do you think that?
the resultant force of Az and Ay should be in perpendicular to Az and Ay(so, it's Ax) , right ? so it's Az . Az x rDA = o , since they are parallel to each other .

goldfish9776 said:
the resultant force of Az and Ay should be in perpendicular to Az and Ay(so, it's Ax) , right ? so it's Az . Az x rDA = o , since they are parallel to each other .
Eh?!
The resultant of adding a force in the z direction and a force in the y direction will be somewhere in the YZ plane. It will certainly not be perpendicular to either. Even if it were perpendicular to both, as you claim, that would put it in the X direction, not the Z direction. And even if it were in either the X or Z direction that would not make it parallel to DA.

haruspex said:
Step 2:
(can you see why?)

yes , becoz u=rDA , they are parallel to each other

haruspex said:
Eh?!
The resultant of adding a force in the z direction and a force in the y direction will be somewhere in the YZ plane. It will certainly not be perpendicular to either. Even if it were perpendicular to both, as you claim, that would put it in the X direction, not the Z direction. And even if it were in either the X or Z direction that would not make it parallel to DA.
I have mixed up the direction of torque and resultant force.

haruspex said:

Can you explain why uDA. Moment of forces about D will =0 ?

goldfish9776 said:
yes , becoz u=rDA , they are parallel to each other
Yes, because u and rDA are parallel.

haruspex said:
Step 2:
(can you see why?)
do u mean rDA x (resultant force at A) = 0 ? why it will become 0 ? rDA and resultant force at A are not parallel to each other ?

goldfish9776 said:
do u mean rDA x (resultant force at A) = 0 ? why it will become 0 ? rDA and resultant force at A are not parallel to each other ?
No, that cross product is not zero. The dot product of u with it is zero.
If you have a triple product a.(b x c) and a is parallel to either b or c then the triple product is zero. The reason is clear: b x c is perpendicular to b and c; if a is parallel to b then a is perpendicular to b x c.

haruspex said:
No, that cross product is not zero. The dot product of u with it is zero.
If you have a triple product a.(b x c) and a is parallel to either b or c then the triple product is zero. The reason is clear: b x c is perpendicular to b and c; if a is parallel to b then a is perpendicular to b x c.
since the rE x W and rb xTB are not perpendicular to u , so it,s not = 0 ?
how do u knw that a is parallel to b then a is perpendicular to b x c ??

goldfish9776 said:
how do u knw that a is parallel to b then a is perpendicular to b x c ??
The cross product of two vectors (if nonzero) is always perpendicular to the two vectors.
If a is parallel to b then it must be perpendicular to b x c.

haruspex said:
The cross product of two vectors (if nonzero) is always perpendicular to the two vectors.
If a is parallel to b then it must be perpendicular to b x c.
how do u knw that the rE x W and rb xTB are not perpendicular to u ?

goldfish9776 said:
how do u knw that the rE x W and rb xTB are not perpendicular to u ?
Why would that matter? Nothing in the algebra assumes those are not zero.

haruspex said:
Why would that matter? Nothing in the algebra assumes those are not zero.
because when rE x W and rb xTB are not perpendicular to u , then i can't say that u . (rE x W) and u .(rb xTB ) = 0

goldfish9776 said:
because when rE x W and rb xTB are not perpendicular to u , then i can't say that u . (rE x W) and u .(rb xTB ) = 0
Nobody is saying those two dot products are individually zero.
The balance of torques gives us that rE x W + rb x TB + rDA x force_at_A = 0.
We take the dot product of that with u to obtain the equation u.(rE x W) + u.(rb x TB) + u.(rDA x force_at_A) = 0.
We then observe that since u is parallel to rDA the triple product u.(rDA x force_at_A) must be zero.
From that we conclude u.(rE x W) + u.(rb x TB) = 0.
This does not tell us anything about whether u is parallel to any of the four other vectors in that equation.

Related to Solving a Moment Equation: Understanding the Relationship with AD

1. What is a moment equation?

A moment equation is an equation that relates the forces acting on a system to the resulting rotation of that system. It is used to analyze the stability and equilibrium of a structure or object.

2. How is a moment equation solved?

To solve a moment equation, you must first identify all the forces acting on the system and their corresponding distances from the point of rotation. Then, you can use the equation M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the distance, to calculate the moments for each force. Finally, you can add up all the moments and set them equal to zero to solve for the unknown variables.

3. What is the relationship between a moment equation and AD?

AD, or angular displacement, is a measure of the amount of rotation that occurs due to the forces acting on a system. The moment equation helps us understand this relationship by showing us how the forces cause the system to rotate and how the magnitude and direction of the rotation are affected by the forces.

4. How does solving a moment equation help in understanding the stability of a structure?

By solving a moment equation, we can determine if the forces acting on a structure are balanced or unbalanced. If the sum of the moments is equal to zero, the structure is in equilibrium and is considered stable. If the sum of the moments is not equal to zero, the structure is not in equilibrium and may be at risk of collapsing or tipping over.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving moment equations?

Moment equations are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture to analyze and design structures and objects. They are also used in industries such as construction, manufacturing, and transportation to ensure the safety and stability of structures and equipment. Examples of real-world applications include designing bridges, calculating the stability of buildings during earthquakes, and determining the forces on a car's suspension system.