Solving a Physics Problem with a Bowling Ball

In summary, the students are playing with a bowling ball hung from the ceiling of the classroom. They pull the ball up and to the side, then let go, causing it to swing back and forth like a pendulum. The ball's velocity at the lowest point is 3.51 m/s and the tension in the string at that point is 33.11 N. To find the velocity, the formula (1/2)mv^2=mgh was used, and for the tension, Newton's 2nd law and facts about circular motion were utilized. The net force was found by adding the weight of the ball (mg) and the tension, and from there the tension was easily calculated.
runningirl

Homework Statement

Students are playing with the 4.13 kg bowling ball hung from the ceiling of the classroom. When at rest, it hangs 0.63 m above the floor. The cord is 1.87 long. The students pull the ball up and to the side and then let go. It swings back and forth like a pendulum. The students pull it so it is 1.40 m above the ground.

a) What is the ball's velocity when it's at the lowest point? Assume no air resistance.

b) What's the tension in the string at this point?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) (1/2)mv^2=mgh
.5(4.13)v^2=4.13*9.8*.63
v=3.51 m/s?
b) mgh=F(1.4-.63)
9.8*4.13*.63=F(.77)
F=33.11 N?

I don't know if I did a right, and I don't know how to do b...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
runningirl said:
a) (1/2)mv^2=mgh
.5(4.13)v^2=4.13*9.8*.63
v=3.51 m/s?
That's the correct formula, but h represents the change in height. From the highest point to the lowest point, what is the change in height of the ball?

For b you need to use Newton's 2nd law and some facts about circular motion.

um... exactly what would i need for b?
"facts about circular motion" i mean.

Thanks for the help with part a!

um... exactly what would i need for b?
"facts about circular motion" i mean.

Thanks for the help with part a!

Oh. I get it now.

a=v^2/r
F=ma
Just find F.

Thanks!

runningirl said:
a=v^2/r
F=ma
Just find F.
Almost. F is the net force. There are two forces acting on the ball. One is the tension, which is what you need to find.

Fnet=mg+tension?
but mg=-9.8(4.13)
so i could easily find tension?

runningirl said:
Fnet=mg+tension?
but mg=-9.8(4.13)
so i could easily find tension?

Yes, that's exactly the idea. You can find the tension because you know mg, and you know Fnet (what must it be equal to?).

1. How is the weight of the bowling ball important in solving a physics problem?

The weight of an object, including a bowling ball, is a crucial factor in solving physics problems because it affects the force and acceleration of the object. In the case of a bowling ball, its weight will determine how much force is needed to move it or change its direction.

2. Can the mass of the bowling ball also affect the physics problem?

Yes, the mass of the bowling ball is also an important factor in solving physics problems. The mass of an object determines its inertia, which is the resistance to change in motion. In the case of a bowling ball, its mass will affect how it responds to external forces, such as gravity or friction.

3. How does the shape of the bowling ball impact its motion in a physics problem?

The shape of the bowling ball can significantly impact its motion in a physics problem. For example, if the ball is not perfectly spherical, it may experience imbalanced forces and have a different trajectory or speed compared to a perfect sphere. The shape can also affect the ball's interaction with other objects, such as the bowling lane.

4. What role does friction play in solving a physics problem with a bowling ball?

Friction is a crucial factor in solving physics problems involving a bowling ball. In this context, friction refers to the resistance between the ball and the surface it is rolling on. Friction can impact the ball's speed, direction, and overall motion, and it must be considered in any calculations or predictions involving the ball.

5. How can the laws of motion be applied to solving a physics problem with a bowling ball?

The laws of motion, as described by Isaac Newton, play a significant role in solving physics problems with a bowling ball. These laws state that an object will remain at rest or in motion unless acted upon by an external force, and that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. By applying these laws and incorporating other factors like weight, mass, and friction, a scientist can accurately predict the motion of a bowling ball in different scenarios.