Solving a Pin Joint System with Vertical Load

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem of a pin joint system under vertical load. The reactions at points A and C, both horizontal and vertical components, are determined by taking the moment about these points to zero. The conversation also addresses the role of pinned or fixed points and the concept of moment in this problem.
sriram123
Hi all,I just started to learn mechanics so please forgive me if i ask something elementary.I have an example from Egor P Popov's Engineering mechanics of solids.(Please refer attachment and sorry about quality of drawing).

This is a problem of a pin joint system subjected to vertical load that acts at point B.Since the pin joint system cannot allow x or y movement there should be reactions at A and C which are resolved into their horizontal and vertical components.For determining their value the moment about the point C and A are taken to zero ,This is where I got stuck,

I cite the step in the book

ƩMc=0 => FAx*(a+b)-P*c
ƩMa=0 => P*c +FCx*(a+b)

What happened to the y components of the reactions at A and C.Why FCy and FAy are not taken,Is that because the force applied is vertical ?.I am self studying so I cannot clarify this with someone.I know this is elemantary but pls help me..

Attachments

• FORUM.jpg
    FORUM.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 436
Engineering news on Phys.org
Take the equation you've got there for the moment about (c). How would a vertical force at (a) apply a moment about (c)? To find a moment you take a force and multiply it by a distance, what is that distance in the case of Fay about point (c)?

What I'm about ask is very basic.But I don't understand one thing.In the image the thread starter has shown,the points A and C are connected through B so if the load applied at B tries to push it down will the point C remain stationary because of the reaction offered by X component of A ?.If the points A and C are not collinear,will the Y component also offer resistance ? .Please explain me how with an example ?

And again please remember I'm learning the basics and I just wanted to learn this properly.Sorry if I'm asking something very basic

And thanks in advance.

Those circles at the A,B, and C locations generally denote "pinned" or "fixed" points. In problems like this, this means that any forces on the system will create reactionary forces, but the location of the pins will not move.

Moment is a force times the perpendicular distance from the force to the point of rotation. There's no perpendicular distance for those two reactant forces, therefore no moment is created by them.

Related to Solving a Pin Joint System with Vertical Load

1. How do you determine the reaction forces at a pin joint system with vertical load?

Determining the reaction forces at a pin joint system with vertical load involves using the principles of static equilibrium. This means that the sum of all forces in the vertical and horizontal directions must equal zero. By drawing a free body diagram and applying this principle, the reaction forces can be determined.

2. What is the significance of a pin joint in a structural system?

A pin joint is a type of connection that allows for rotation at the joint without any resistance or reaction from the connected members. In a structural system, pin joints are important because they allow for flexibility and movement, which can help distribute forces and prevent structural failure.

3. Can a pin joint system with vertical load be statically indeterminate?

Yes, a pin joint system with vertical load can be statically indeterminate, meaning that the internal forces cannot be determined solely from the external forces and geometry of the system. In this case, additional equations or methods such as the method of sections may be needed to solve for the internal forces.

4. How do you account for the weight of the members in a pin joint system with vertical load?

To account for the weight of the members in a pin joint system with vertical load, the weight can be considered as a vertical force acting at the center of gravity of each member. This force can then be included in the free body diagram and used in the equations for static equilibrium.

5. Are there any assumptions made when solving a pin joint system with vertical load?

Yes, when solving a pin joint system with vertical load, it is assumed that the members are perfectly rigid and that the joints are frictionless. It is also assumed that the system is in static equilibrium, meaning that there is no acceleration or movement of the members.