Solving a Recurrence Relation Using Induction: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary: Rectangle R depends on the two constants a and b, and these are random numbers right? So although we are not certain about what you said it could be in that...In summary, the author is using induction on n to derive a formula for when n=j+1.
bubblewrap
Below I have uploaded the page I am having trouble with.

Here it says that it is using induction on n but I don't understand how it uses the formula for when n=j to derive the formula for when n=j+1
20160118_193509.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
bubblewrap said:
Below I have uploaded the page I am having trouble with.

Here it says that it is using induction on n but I don't understand how it uses the formula for when n=j to derive the formula for when n=j+1View attachment 94504
What is the definition of ##y_n(t)##?
I can guess that equation (5) is ##|y_n(t)-y_0| \leq M(t-t_0)##. Is this guess correct?

EDIT: ok, I found it, ##y_n## are Picard iterates.
Equation (5) is ##|y_n(t)-y_0| \leq M(t-t_0)## for ##t_0 \leq t \leq t_0+\alpha##.
So by definition ##y_{j+1}(t)=y_0 + \int_{t_0}^t f(s,y_j(s)) \, ds##

He uses the definition of ##y_{j+1}## and that ##M## is defined as the maximum on the rectangle defined by ##t_0 \leq t \leq t_0+a,\ |y-y_0| \leq b##.
Thanks to the induction hypothesis that he knows that ##|f(s,y_j(s))|\leq M##.

Last edited:
Samy_A said:
What is the definition of ##y_n(t)##?
I can guess that equation (5) is ##|y_n(t)-y_0| \leq M(t-t_0)##. Is this guess correct?

EDIT: ok, I found it, ##y_n## are Picard iterates.
Equation (5) is ##|y_n(t)-y_0| \leq M(t-t_0)## for ##t_0 \leq t \leq t_0+\alpha##.
So by definition ##y_{j+1}(t)=y_0 + \int_{t_0}^t f(s,y_j(s)) \, ds##

He uses the definition of ##y_{j+1}## and that ##M## is defined as the maximum on the rectangle defined by ##t_0 \leq t \leq t_0+a,\ |y-y_0| \leq b##.
Thanks to the induction hypothesis that he knows that ##f(s,y_j(s))\leq M##.
But he didn't use n=j to show anything since ##f(s,y_j(s))\leq M## is a definition and not something deduced from n=j

Let's rewrite it in the correct order.
By definition, ##y_{j+1}(t)=y_0 + \int_{t_0}^t f(s,y_j(s)) \, ds##.
Let R be the rectangle defined by ##t_0 \leq t \leq t_0+a,\ |y-y_0| \leq b## where ##a, b## are positive numbers.
Let ##M## be the maximum of ##f## on that rectangle.
Set ##\alpha=min(a,\frac{b}{M})##.
Then ##|y_n(t)-y_0| \leq M(t-t_0)## for ##t_0 \leq t \leq t_0+\alpha##. (Equation (5) in your text.)

Assume that it has been proven for ##j##.
So ##|y_j(t)-y_0|\leq M(t-t_0)## for ##t_0 \leq t \leq t_0+\alpha##.
But then ##|y_j(t)-y_0|\leq M(t-t_0) \leq M\alpha \leq b##, meaning that ##(t,y_j(t))## lies in the rectangle R, so that ##|f(t,y_j(t)| \leq M##. This is where the induction hypothesis is crucial.
That's what he uses in the last step: in the integral he just uses ##|f(s,y_j(s)|\leq M##.

bubblewrap said:
But he didn't use n=j to show anything since ##f(s,y_j(s))\leq M## is a definition and not something deduced from n=j
This only holds if ##(s,y_j(s))## lies in the rectangle R. He knows it does thanks to the induction hypothesis.

Last edited:
Samy_A said:
Let's rewrite it in the correct order.
By definition, ##y_{j+1}(t)=y_0 + \int_{t_0}^t f(s,y_j(s)) \, ds##.
Let R be the rectangle defined by ##t_0 \leq t \leq t_0+a,\ |y-y_0| \leq b## where ##a, b## are positive numbers.
Let ##M## be the maximum of ##f## on that rectangle.
Set ##\alpha=min(a,\frac{b}{M})##.
Then ##|y_n(t)-y_0| \leq M(t-t_0)## for ##t_0 \leq t \leq t_0+\alpha##. (Equation (5) in your text.)

Assume that it has been proven for ##j##.
So ##|y_j(t)-y_0|\leq M(t-t_0)## for ##t_0 \leq t \leq t_0+\alpha##. .
But then ##|y_j(t)-y_0|\leq M(t-t_0) \leq M\alpha \leq b##, meaning that ##(t,y_j(t))## lies in the rectangle R, so that ##|f(t,y_j(t)| \leq M##. This is where the induction hypothesis is crucial.
That's what he uses in the last step: in the integral he just uses ##|f(s,y_j(s)|\leq M##.
Thank you for your help, one last thing, am I slow if I am not getting this?

bubblewrap said:
Thank you for your help, one last thing, am I slow if I am not getting this?
Do you agree that we are only certain that ##|f(s,y_j(s)| \leq M## if ##(s,y_j(s))## lies in the rectangle R?

Samy_A said:
Do you agree that we are only certain that ##|f(s,y_j(s)| \leq M## if ##(s,y_j(s))## lies in the rectangle R?
Rectangle R depends on the two constants a and b, and these are random numbers right? So although we are not certain about what you said it could be in that condition.

bubblewrap said:
Rectangle R depends on the two constants a and b, and these are random numbers right? So although we are not certain about what you said it could be in that condition.
Yes, a and b are two positive constants. They define the rectangle R. M is by definition the maximum of f on that rectangle.

To use that ##|f(s,y_j(s))| \leq M##, you must know that ##(s,y_j(s))## lies in the rectangle R. Do you agree so far?

Yes, sorry I just had dinner. I agree so far.

bubblewrap said:
Yes, sorry I just had dinner. I agree so far.
No reason to be sorry for having dinner. :oldsmile:

Assume that equation (5) has been proved for j.
Now he needs to show that ##(s,y_j(s))## lies in the rectangle R if ##t_0 \leq s \leq t_0+\alpha##.
Equation (5) means: ##|y_j(s)-y_0| \leq M(s-t_0)## for ##t_0 \leq s \leq t_0+\alpha##.
But then ##|y_j(s)-y_0| \leq M(s-t_0) \leq M\alpha \leq b##, by the definition of ##\alpha##. (*)

Remember how the rectangle R was defined?
##(s,y) \in R## if ##t_0 \leq s \leq t_0+a,\ |y-y_0| \leq b##.

Now look at ##(s,y_j(s))## for ##t_0 \leq s \leq t_0+\alpha##.
Obviously ##t_0 \leq s \leq t_0+a##.
But, more interesting, by (*), ##|y_j(s)-y_0| \leq b##.
We conclude that ##(s,y_j(s)) \in R##, and then by definition of M, ##|f((s,y_j(s))| \leq M##. This is what he uses in the last step of his proof. He needed the induction hypothesis to prove that ##(s,y_j(s)) \in R##.

Thank you it's all clear now :) Is the book not self explanatory or am I slow for not getting it in the first place? (I got it now)

bubblewrap said:
Thank you it's all clear now :) Is the book not self explanatory or am I slow for not getting it in the first place? (I got it now)
It's the book. This point is not very difficult, but one line explaining this would have been welcome.
Now he does explain just before the proof that the lemma means that the graph of ##y_n## stays within the rectangle:
picard.jpg

1. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence of numbers, where each term in the sequence is defined in terms of previous terms in the sequence.

2. How is induction used to solve a recurrence relation?

Induction is used to prove that a recurrence relation holds for all values of n, by first showing that it holds for a base case (usually n=0 or n=1) and then assuming it holds for some arbitrary value of n and proving that it also holds for n+1.

3. What is the purpose of solving a recurrence relation?

Solving a recurrence relation allows us to find a closed-form solution for a sequence of numbers, rather than having to calculate each term individually. This can save time and make it easier to analyze the behavior of the sequence.

4. What are the steps involved in solving a recurrence relation using induction?

The steps are as follows:
1. Identify the base case and the recursive definition of the sequence.
2. Assume the recurrence relation holds for some arbitrary value of n.
3. Use the assumption to prove that it also holds for n+1.
4. Use mathematical induction to show that the recurrence relation holds for all values of n.

5. Can the method of induction be used to solve any recurrence relation?

No, not all recurrence relations can be solved using induction. Some may require other techniques, such as substitution or generating functions. However, many common types of recurrence relations can be solved using induction.