Solving a system of linear equations

In summary: Withing your displayed-equation environment you can use an "array" command. The format of an array is ##\text{\begin{array}{positions}}## first line \\ second line \\ ... last line \end{array}" You can have hundreds of line if you want. Exactly what goes into the "positions" option depends on the number of columns; for a single column it can be either "l" (no quotation marks) for "left justified", or "c" for "centered" or "r" for right-justified. If you want more than one column you must specify the position of each, so position = "rl" means that the array will have two columns, with the
Specter

Homework Statement

Sorry for all the posts lately. This should be the last one for a while.

Solve the following system of linear equations:

##\displaystyle 4x-y=10##

##\displaystyle x+y-3z=8##

##\displaystyle 3x-y+z=12##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I started with finding if the planes intersect at a single point. ## n \cdot (n_2 × n_3 )## =31, so the planes intersect at a single point.

I've posted a question like this here before but I still don't understand it.

Eqn 1 only has 2 variables so I know I have to do something with that, but I am not sure what. I think If I can isolate a variable in equation 1 I can then use it to find the values for the other equations by substituing in, but I don't know where to start.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Specter said:

Does this help you get started?

##y = 4x - 10##

Specter said:

Homework Statement

Sorry for all the posts lately. This should be the last one for a while.

Solve the following system of linear equations:

##\displaystyle x+y-3x=8##

##\displaystyle 3x-y+z=12##

You wrote the second equation as ##x+y-3x = 8##. Do you really mean that, or should it be ##x+y - 3z = 8?##

Likes Specter
Ray Vickson said:
You wrote the second equation as ##x+y-3x = 8##. Do you really mean that, or should it be ##x+y - 3z = 8?##
Thank you, I fixed it.

PeroK said:
Does this help you get started?

##y = 4x - 10##
Okay so now I have y, but how do I know which equation to plug y into?

This is what I tried:

Using eqn 2, solving for z:

##x+y-3z=8##

## x+4x-10-3z=8##

##5x-10-3z=8##

##5x-10-3z-5x=8-5x##

##-10-3z=8-5x##

##-10-3z+10=8-5x+10##

##-3z=-5x+18##

##\displaystyle z=\frac {-5x+18} {-3}##

If this is correct, can I just plug my y and z value into equation 1 to find x?

Last edited:
Specter said:

This is what I tried:

Using eqn 2, solving for z:

##x+y-3z=8##

## x+4x-10-3z=8##

##5x-10-3z=8##

##5x-10-3z-5x=8-5x##

##-10-3z=8-5x##

##-10-3z+10=8-5x+10##

##-3z=-5x+18##

##\displaystyle z=\frac {-5x+18} {-3}##

If this is correct, can I just plug my y and z value into equation 1 to find x?

It's quicker and better to replace ##y## in both equations. But, what you have looks correct.

PeroK said:
It's quicker and better to replace ##y## in both equations. But, what you have looks correct.
Thanks. So now I should sub in the same y value into eqn 3 and solve for x?

Specter said:
Thanks. So now I should sub in the same y value into eqn 3 and solve for x?

It's quicker to sub ##y## into both equations, giving you two equations in ##x## and ##z##. You then eliminate one of these to give you the other.

Specter said:

Plug it into each of the other two that you did not use to get that formula for ##y##.

BTW: for setting up multi-line sets of equations in LaTeX, you get much better results using a displayed-equation setting using $ $ ... your equations ... $ $ (with no spaces between the two $s---I had to make such spaces in order to prevent LaTeX from trying to typeset an equation and choking on the results). Withing your displayed-equation environment you can use an "array" command. The format of an array is ##\text{\begin{array}{positions}}## first line \\ second line \\ ... last line \end{array}" You can have hundreds of line if you want. Exactly what goes into the "positions" option depends on the number of columns; for a single column it can be either "l" (no quotation marks) for "left justified", or "c" for "centered" or "r" for right-justified. If you want more than one column you must specify the position of each, so position = "rl" means that the array will have two columns, with the first right-justified and the second left-justified; within each line you need a column separator "&" to break up the line into two columns.

So, if I wanted to typeset your three equations with left justification I would use
$$ \begin{array}{l}
4x - y = 10 \\
x+y - 3z = 8 \\
3x - y + z = 12
\end{array} $$
However, it might look better if we used two columns:
$$ \begin{array}{lc}
4x - y &= 10 \\
x+y - 3z &= 8 \\
3x - y + z &= 12
\end{array} $$
You can right-click on each system and choose the "display math as tex" menu option to see the actual typed inputs.

Last edited:
Likes Specter
PeroK said:
It's quicker to sub ##y## into both equations, giving you two equations in ##x## and ##z##. You then eliminate one of these to give you the other.
Ray Vickson said:
Plug it into each of the other two that you did not use to get that formula for ##y##.

BTW: for setting up multi-line sets of equations in LaTeX, you get much better results using a displayed-equation setting using $ $ ... your equations ... $ $ (with no spaces between the two $s---I had to make such spaces in order to prevent LaTeX from trying to typeset an equation and choking on the results). Withing your displayed-equation environment you can use an "array" command. The format of an array is ##\text{\begin{array}{positions}}## first line \\ second line \\ ... last line \end{array}" You can have hundreds of line if you want. Exactly what goes into the "positions" option depends on the number of columns; for a single column it can be either "l" (no quotation marks) for "left justified", or "c" for "centered" or "r" for right-justified. If you want more than one column you must specify the position of each, so position = "rl" means that the array will have two columns, with the first right-justified and the second left-justified; within each line you need a column separator "&" to break up the line into two columns.

So, if I wanted to typeset your three equations with right justification I would use
$$ \begin{array}{l}
4x - y = 10 \\
x+y - 3z = 8 \\
3x - y + z = 12
\end{array} $$
However, it might look better if we used two columns:
$$ \begin{array}{lc}
4x - y &= 10 \\
x+y - 3z &= 8 \\
3x - y + z &= 12
\end{array} $$
You can right-click on each system and choose the "display math as tex" menu option to see the actual typed inputs.
Thank you.

So you say to plug the y value thaty I got from eqn 1 into eqn 2 and 3.

I've done equation 2 and got ##z=\frac {-5x+18} {-3}##.

So now I plug y into equation 3? I would be solving for x, right?

Edit: Ord do I plug the two values that I already have, y and z, into equation 3 and solve for x like that?

Specter said:
Thank you.

So you say to plug the y value thaty I got from eqn 1 into eqn 2 and 3.

I've done equation 2 and got ##z=\frac {-5x+18} {-3}##.

So now I plug y into equation 3? I would be solving for x, right?

Yes, although simply:

##5x -3z = 18##

Was good enough in terms of what to do with equation (2). Just do the same sort of thing with equation (3).

PeroK said:
Yes, although simply:

##5x -3z = 18##

Was good enough in terms of what to do with equation (2). Just do the same sort of thing with equation (3).
Would I plug both y and z into equation 3?

Like this:

##3x-4x-10-\frac {5x+18} {-3} =12##

Specter said:
Would I plug both y and z into equation 3?

Like this:

##3x-4x-10-\frac {5x+18} {-3} =12##

You can do that!

Likes Specter
PeroK said:
You can do that!
Is there an easier way to do it? You said something about having 2 equations and then eliminating one but I don't understand what you mean. The way I am doing it I am so confused and the alegbra gets confusing with all of the fractions.

You started off with:

$$ \begin{array}{l}
y = 4x - 10 \\
x+y - 3z = 8 \\
3x - y + z = 12
\end{array} $$
Which becomes:
$$ \begin{array}{l}
x+(4x -10) - 3z = 8 \\
3x - (4x -10) + z = 12
\end{array} $$
And simplifying gives:
$$ \begin{array}{l}
5x - 3z = 18 \\
z = x+ 2
\end{array} $$

Which is a simpler system of two equations in two variables.

Likes Specter
PeroK said:
You started off with:

$$ \begin{array}{l}
y = 4x - 10 \\
x+y - 3z = 8 \\
3x - y + z = 12
\end{array} $$
Which becomes:
$$ \begin{array}{l}
x+(4x -10) - 3z = 8 \\
3x - (4x -10) + z = 12
\end{array} $$
And simplifying gives:
$$ \begin{array}{l}
5x - 3z = 18 \\
z = x+ 2
\end{array} $$

Which is a simpler system of two equations in two variables.
Thank you this is starting to become a bit clearer. From here where do I go? I have 2 systems with 2 variables.

Specter said:
Thank you this is starting to become a bit clearer. From here where do I go? I have 2 systems with 2 variables.

That's down to you now. Look at that last equation.

Likes Specter
PeroK said:
That's down to you now. Look at that last equation.
Ohhh!##5x-3(x+2)=18##

##2x-6=18##

##2x=24##

##x=12####
z=12+2 \\
z=14
##

This is way easier than the other way I was doing it. So now can I plug these into either eqn 2 or eqn 3 to find y? Does it matter which one?

Specter said:
Ohhh!

##5x-3(x+2)=18##
##2x-6=18##
##2x=24##
##x=12##

##z=12+2##
##z=14##

This is way easier than the other way I was doing it. So now can I plug these into either eqn 2 or eqn 3 to find y? Does it matter which one?

There's a simple way to do that as well. What's the simplest equation you have for ##y##?

PeroK said:
There's a simple way to do that as well. What's the simplest equation you have for ##y##?

y=4x-10?

Specter said:
y=4x-10?

What could be simpler!

PeroK said:
What could be simpler!
Hmmm, I'm not sure. But would this work?

##(12)+y-3(14)=8##

##y=8-30##

##y=-22##

Specter said:
Hmmm, I'm not sure. But would this work?

##(12)+y-3(14)=8##

##y=8-30##

##y=-22##

That's not right. ##y = 4x -10## has got to be the simplest way.

Likes Specter
PeroK said:
That's not right. ##y = 4x -10## has got to be the simplest way.
Oh. For some reason I thought I would need x too.

##y=4(12)-10##

##=38##

Specter said:
Oh. For some reason I thought I would need x too.

##y=4(12)-10##

##=38##

You've got them all now. You could check that the three values you have solve one or all of the equations - to make sure you haven't made a mistake. Personally, I would always check at least one.

Likes Specter
PeroK said:
You've got them all now. You could check that the three values you have solve one or all of the equations - to make sure you haven't made a mistake. Personally, I would always check at least one.
Thank you for the help! I will check them on paper.

PeroK said:
Oh one more thing. This will work to solve any problem like this right? Will there always be one equation in the system that has one less variable than the others?

Specter said:
Oh one more thing. This will work to solve any problem like this right? Will there always be one equation in the system that has one less variable than the others?

Having one equation in only two variables is a big help. Always focus on that first. But, sometimes you have all the variables in all the equations. There should be material in your course on how to tackle these.

Likes Specter

1. What is a system of linear equations?

A system of linear equations is a set of two or more equations that contain two or more variables. The goal is to find a solution that satisfies all of the equations in the system.

2. How do you solve a system of linear equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of linear equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. The method used will depend on the specific equations in the system.

3. Can a system of linear equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of linear equations can have one, infinite, or no solutions. This depends on the relationship between the equations and the number of variables in the system.

4. What is the importance of solving a system of linear equations?

Solving a system of linear equations is important in many fields, including mathematics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to find the relationships between different variables and make predictions or solve real-world problems.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving a system of linear equations?

Yes, there are certain techniques that can make solving a system of linear equations easier and more efficient. These include using matrices, Gaussian elimination, and Cramer's rule. However, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and principles behind these methods.