Solving a Vertical Cylinder Pressure Problem

In summary, to find the pressure in a vertical cylinder with a frictionless piston and 1 mol of an ideal gas at 315 K, we must consider the weight of the piston, which is equal to the downward force, and the atmospheric pressure outside the cylinder. Taking these into account, the pressure in the cylinder can be calculated as P = (Piston mass * gravity) / (piston area) + atmospheric pressure. In this case, the pressure is found to be 3185 Pa + 101325 Pa, or 104510 Pa.
lawgurl
Here is my problem.

A vertical cylinder of cross-sectional area .04m^2 if fitted with a frictionless piston with a mass of 13kg. Assume acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. If there is 1 mol of an ideal gas in the cylinder at 315 K, find the pressure in the cylinder. Assume the system is in equilibrium.

Here is what I've been doing.

P=Force/Area Force= Pressue * Area

Since it is in equilibrium, the downward force of the piston should equal the upward force of the gas.

PA = (Piston mass)(gravity)

P(.04) = (13)(9.8)
P = 3185 Pa

3185 is not the right answer according to my online answer checker. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Questionable Solution

Okay, I found why my answer is wrong. Apparently I need to at 101300 Pa (1 atm) to my answer. If anyone can explain why I add one atmosphere, that would be greatly appreciated.

Assume the piston seals the vertical cylinder. The piston has a mass (13 kg) but also, there is atomspheric pressure outside the cylinder, i.e. the air in which we live, and that pressure is 1 atm = 14.7 psia = 101325 Pa or 101.325 kPa. At equilibrium, the pressure inside the cylinder must equal the pressure applied from the outside which is the sum of the (weight of the piston)/(area of piston), or (13 kg)(9.8 m/s2)/(0.04 m2) + the atmospheric pressure 101325 Pa.

mg = force = N if m (kg) and g (m/s2).

Pressure = force/area = N/m2 = Pa.

Last edited:

Related to Solving a Vertical Cylinder Pressure Problem

1. How can I calculate the pressure within a vertical cylinder?

To calculate the pressure within a vertical cylinder, you will need to know the height of the cylinder, the density of the fluid inside, and the acceleration due to gravity. The formula for calculating pressure is pressure = density x acceleration due to gravity x height. Make sure to use consistent units when plugging in values.

2. What is the difference between hydrostatic pressure and total pressure in a vertical cylinder?

Hydrostatic pressure refers to the pressure exerted by a fluid due to its weight and depth, while total pressure takes into account both the hydrostatic pressure and the pressure from the surrounding atmosphere. In a vertical cylinder, the total pressure at the bottom is equal to the hydrostatic pressure plus the atmospheric pressure.

3. Does the shape of the vertical cylinder affect the pressure calculation?

No, the shape of the vertical cylinder does not affect the pressure calculation as long as the height and density of the fluid inside remain constant. The pressure at any given point within the cylinder is only dependent on the weight of the fluid above it and the atmospheric pressure.

4. How does the pressure change as you move up or down a vertical cylinder?

The pressure within a vertical cylinder increases as you move down and decreases as you move up. This is because the weight of the fluid above a certain point is greater when moving down, causing an increase in pressure, and less when moving up, causing a decrease in pressure.

5. Can the pressure within a vertical cylinder be negative?

Yes, the pressure within a vertical cylinder can be negative if the fluid inside is under tension. This means that the fluid is being pulled apart rather than compressed, resulting in a negative pressure value. However, negative pressure is not commonly encountered in everyday situations.