Stationary vertical cylinder with heavy piston

In summary, the problem involves a stationary vertical cylinder with a gas that can change in volume with the help of a frictionless piston. The first question asks for the work done by an external force in compressing the gas by a specific amount. The second question is about the net work during a cycle if the device is used as part of an engine. The third question is about the work done if the device is only used to produce temperature changes in the gas. The gas is assumed to be an ideal gas and the process is assumed to be isothermal. The work is calculated using the formula W = -∫PdV. The work is positive, indicating that it is done on the system. The source of the external force is
BobaJ
Hi,

I'm just starting to learn thermodynamics and I'm completely stuck with a problem:

1. Homework Statement

A stationary vertical cylinder, closed at the top, contains a gas whose volume may be changed with the aid of a heavy, frictionless piston of weight w.

a) How much work is done by the external force in compressing the gas by an amount dV by raising the piston a distance dy?
b) If this device is used as part of an engine, what expression is appropriate to calculate the net work delivered to or received from the surroundings?
c) If this device is used only to produce temperature changes of the gas, what expression for work would be appropriate?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, if I'm not wrong that would be classified as a typical hydrostatic system with thermodynamic coordinates P, V and T. And it should be a quasi-static process. Can I assume that the gas is an ideal gas and that the process would be isothermal? So that $$ W=-\int_{V_{i}}^{V_{f}} P dV $$?
Then, by getting a free body diagram, I could work out an equation for P? But I'm stuck on the fbd.

For question b, I assume that it would have to be the net work done during a cycle. Which would be the combination of compression and expansion.

And for question c, I think it should be an isobaric process? So that the Volume and the temperature change but the pressure stays constant?

Are these assumptions and ideas correct and how could I formalize them to answer the questions properly?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
BobaJ said:
Hi,

I'm just starting to learn thermodynamics and I'm completely stuck with a problem:

1. Homework Statement

A stationary vertical cylinder, closed at the top, contains a gas whose volume may be changed with the aid of a heavy, frictionless piston of weight w.

a) How much work is done by the external force in compressing the gas by an amount dV by raising the piston a distance dy?
b) If this device is used as part of an engine, what expression is appropriate to calculate the net work delivered to or received from the surroundings?
c) If this device is used only to produce temperature changes of the gas, what expression for work would be appropriate?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, if I'm not wrong that would be classified as a typical hydrostatic system with thermodynamic coordinates P, V and T. And it should be a quasi-static process. Can I assume that the gas is an ideal gas and that the process would be isothermal? So that $$ W=-\int_{V_{i}}^{V_{f}} P dV $$?
Then, by getting a free body diagram, I could work out an equation for P? But I'm stuck on the fbd.

For question b, I assume that it would have to be the net work done during a cycle. Which would be the combination of compression and expansion.

And for question c, I think it should be an isobaric process? So that the Volume and the temperature change but the pressure stays constant?

Are these assumptions and ideas correct and how could I formalize them to answer the questions properly?

Thanks a lot!
The reason you are struggling so much with this is that the problem statement is not very clear or precise. In part (a), if it is quasi static, and you do a force balance on the piston, what does that tell you about PdV and wdy?

I have no idea what they are talking about in (b) and (c)

Yes, I know. The instructions here are very unclear. I have the feeling that they leaf out a lot of important information.

Well. The gas is exerting a hydrostatic pressure on its surroundings. As the piston is at the bottom of the cylinder. This pressure would the whole weight of the gas per Area. If I push the piston a distance dy inside the cylinder, the volume should decrease by dV. So, PdV should be a negative quantity. So, the work would be positive and that obviously means, that the work is done on the system. As I understand it, it doesn't matter where the external force is coming from, only that it exists. But I don't know how to formalize all this.

BobaJ said:
Yes, I know. The instructions here are very unclear. I have the feeling that they leaf out a lot of important information.

Well. The gas is exerting a hydrostatic pressure on its surroundings. As the piston is at the bottom of the cylinder. This pressure would the whole weight of the gas per Area. If I push the piston a distance dy inside the cylinder, the volume should decrease by dV. So, PdV should be a negative quantity. So, the work would be positive and that obviously means, that the work is done on the system. As I understand it, it doesn't matter where the external force is coming from, only that it exists. But I don't know how to formalize all this.
From a free body diagram, what is the force balance on the piston?

1. What is a stationary vertical cylinder with heavy piston?

A stationary vertical cylinder with heavy piston is a type of equipment used in scientific experiments and industrial processes. It consists of a cylindrical container with a piston that can move up and down inside it, and is used to create pressure or compress gases or liquids.

2. How does a stationary vertical cylinder with heavy piston work?

The piston in the cylinder creates pressure by pushing down on the gases or liquids inside the cylinder. This pressure can be controlled and adjusted by the amount of force applied to the piston, allowing for precise experimentation and measurement.

3. What are the applications of a stationary vertical cylinder with heavy piston?

This equipment is commonly used in scientific research, such as in chemistry and physics experiments. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as in the production of compressed air or gases.

4. What are the benefits of using a stationary vertical cylinder with heavy piston?

One of the main benefits of this equipment is its ability to create and control pressure, allowing for accurate and repeatable experiments. It is also a versatile tool that can be used in a wide range of applications.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using a stationary vertical cylinder with heavy piston?

As with any scientific equipment, it is important to follow proper safety protocols when using a stationary vertical cylinder with heavy piston. This may include wearing protective gear, carefully monitoring pressure levels, and following instructions for proper use and maintenance.