Solving Aircraft Guidance in a Crosswind

V(xnet) and V(ynet).In summary, the conversation is about solving a question regarding aircraft guidance in a crosswind, using equations for velocity and speed. The equations involve the velocity of the aircraft, the velocity of the airmass, and the angle between the direction of the aircraft and the x axis. The conversation includes a discussion of different variables and how to set up the problem, as well as a suggestion to use the terms air speed and ground speed. Finally, there is a discrepancy in the equations which is later resolved by adding a minus sign in front of the velocity of the wind.
jonathanM111
I want to piggyback from this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/aircraft-guidance-in-a-crosswind.198836/

this is the question I am attempting to solve, however this thread has been locked

I have found that you can express the two velocities the following way at any point in the planes path:

V(ynet)= (velocity of aircraft)(sin(theta))+V(wind) where theta is the angle between the direction of the aircraft and the x axis, this angle changes as the aircraft reaches its destination

V(xnet)=(velocity of aircraft)(sin(theta))

I suppose now I can use the hint and divide these two equations? how would I go about doing this?
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't really set up your problem statement.
Let's use the terms air speed and ground speed - and be careful in differentiating velocities (vectors) from speeds (scalars).

So:
Va: Aircraft velocity relative to the air mass (vector).
Vg: Aircraft velocity relative to ground (vector).
Vw: Airmass velocity (vector, wind).
Then: Vg = Va+Vw

Each of these velocities can be separated into X and Y (lat/long) coordinates and even Z. The addition works in each case.
Vgx = Vax+Vwx
Vgy = Vay+Vwy

If you do have speed and bearing versus velocity, then convert:
Sa: Aircraft speed through the air mass.
Ha: Heading (clockwise from North) of the aircraft.
Vax = Sa*cos(Ha)
Vay = Sa*sin(Ha)

I made a mistake, to find the V in the x-axis I put sin(theta). It should be cos(theta), other than that our equations are pretty much the same, only difference is that we already know that Vwx=0 because the vector of the wind is perpendicular to the initial direction of the aircraft. Take a look at the original problem format and my drawing.
Screenshot_7.png
Screenshot_8.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_7.png
    Screenshot_7.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 770
  • Screenshot_8.png
    Screenshot_8.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 630
  • Screenshot_9.png
    Screenshot_9.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 544
Likes jonathanM111
great hints, okay so I let aircraft speed be 10 and wind speed be 1 so as to satisfy the ratio of 0.1 for γ.
this is what I get
dy/dt = 10 sin(θ)+1
dx/dt = 10 cos(θ)
sin and cos can be expressed as ratios so:
dy/dt = 10 y/(sqrt(x2 + y2)) +1
dx/dt = 10 x/(sqrt(x2 + y2))
and then using a hint from the book i get
dy/dx =(y/x+sqrt(x2 + y2)/10x)
this is a homogeneous equation, with a little bit of algebra i make it into the following form
dy/dx = y/x + (sqrt(1+(y/x)2)/10)
let
v=y/x
v + (sqrt(1+v2)/10)
and
dy/dx=v+x dv/dx
so
v+x dv/dx = v + (sqrt(1+v2)/10)
v cancels
x dv/dx = (sqrt(1+v2)/10)
seperate variables we end up with the two integrals which come out to be
10sinh-1(y/x)= ln(x)+c
are there any mistakes? how do I take y out of the hypebolic sin?
P.s. I'll get back to you in maybe 2 days, I have other things to take care of, I appreciate it

I'm back, I then I take the sinh of both sides and get

y/x =sinh(10ln(x)+c)

plug in initial conditions of y=0 and x=2,
0=sinh(10ln(2)+c)
therefore c must be -10ln(2)

the final equation is then y=xsinh(10ln(x)-10ln(2))

this doesn't look like what you graphed earlier, am I missing something?

I realized I have the wrong number, instead of 10 it should be 1/10. when I fix that I get the same thing you got but with the signs the other way around. How did you get a negative infront of the .5ln(x), considering that we need the inside of the trig function to be zero then the c has to equal -ln(2) when y=0 and x=2. when I graph this one, my graph looks as if the wind is blowing downward but with the same shape as yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
jonathanM111 said:
I realized I have the wrong number, instead of 10 it should be 1/10. when I fix that I get the same thing you got but with the signs the other way around. How did you get a negative infront of the .5ln(x), considering that we need the inside of the trig function to be zero then the c has to equal -ln(2) when y=0 and x=2. when I graph this one, my graph looks as if the wind is blowing downward but with the same shape as yours.
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Plot[x+Sinh[(0.1)(ln(x/2))],+{x,+0,+2}]

I know the culprit, at the very beginning there should be a minus sign in front of the V(velocity of wind)

1. How does a crosswind affect aircraft guidance?

A crosswind can cause the aircraft to drift off course, making it difficult for the pilot to maintain a straight path. This is because the force of the wind pushing against the side of the aircraft creates a sideways component, known as the crosswind component, which must be accounted for in order to maintain proper guidance.

2. What techniques are used to solve for crosswind guidance?

There are several techniques that can be used to solve for crosswind guidance, including the crab technique, the slip technique, and the combination technique. The crab technique involves angling the aircraft into the wind to counteract the crosswind component, while the slip technique involves banking the aircraft into the wind and using rudder to maintain the desired track. The combination technique combines elements of both techniques to achieve optimum crosswind guidance.

3. How do pilots compensate for crosswind during takeoff and landing?

Pilots use a combination of techniques to compensate for crosswind during takeoff and landing. This may include adjusting the angle of the aircraft, using rudder to keep the aircraft aligned with the runway, and applying differential thrust to counteract the crosswind component.

4. What factors affect the amount of crosswind that an aircraft can handle?

The maximum crosswind that an aircraft can handle depends on several factors, including the type and size of the aircraft, the wind speed and direction, and the pilot's skill level. Generally, larger and heavier aircraft are able to handle more crosswind than smaller and lighter aircraft.

5. How do advancements in technology help with solving crosswind guidance?

Advancements in technology have greatly improved the ability to solve for crosswind guidance. For example, modern aircraft are equipped with sophisticated instruments and systems that can accurately measure and display the crosswind component, making it easier for pilots to compensate for it. Additionally, flight simulators allow pilots to practice crosswind landings in a safe and controlled environment before attempting them in real life.