Solving an Integral on a Spherical Surface - Tips

In summary, the integral mentioned is used to obtain the equation of geodesics on a spherical surface. However, using spherical coordinates can be inconvenient and using Cartesian coordinates with a constraint is a better approach. The Lagrangian and canonical momenta are used to determine the equation of motion, and the Hamiltonian results in a conserved quantity. By choosing a constant value, the equation of motion is simplified and the general solution is a unit circle around the origin, or a great circle on the sphere.
victorneto
Hello.

I ask for solution help from the integral below, where y and x represent angles in a metric of a spherical, 2-D surface. He was studying how to obtain the geodesic curves on the spherical surface, the sphere of radius r = 1, to simplify. The integral is the end result. It is enough, now, to integrate, to obtain the equation of the geodesics in such surface. It happens that I could not solve the integral, for which I used all the methods I know (there must be some that I do not know ...), with no results. I then used Mathematica (Wolfram Alpha), but the answer is a very complex, unintelligible equation. At least for me.$$Δy=∫1/Sin[x]*Sqrt[k^-2*Sin[x]^2-1]$$

Could anyone indicate any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you clearly define the integral you want to solve? It's hard to make sense of your formula above.

It's of course not very smart to use spherical coordinates to get the geodesics on a sphere. Cartesian coordinates with the obvious holonomous constraint are much more convenient (which admittedly is unintuitive since spherical coordinates seem "natural" to describe a sphere, which is why they are called "spherical" in the first place ;-))).

The geodesics on the sphere follow from the Lagrangian
$$L=\frac{1}{2} \dot{\vec{x}}^2 - \frac{\lambda}{2} (\vec{x}^2-1),$$
where ##\vec{x} \in \mathbb{R}^3##, and ##\lambda## is the Lagrange parameter for the constraint, ##\vec{x}^2=1##.

The canonical momenta are
$$\vec{p}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\vec{x}}}=\dot{\vec{x}}$$
and the geodesic is thus given by
$$\dot{\vec{x}}=\ddot{\vec{x}}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \vec{x}}=-\lambda \vec{x}. \qquad (1)$$
To determine ##\lambda## we take the 2nd deriviative of the contraint equation
$$\vec{x}^2=1 \; \Rightarrow \; \vec{x} \cdot \dot{\vec{x}}=0 \; \Rightarrow \; \dot{\vec{x}}^2 + \vec{x} \cdot \ddot{\vec{x}}=0.$$
With the equation of motion (1) we get
$$\dot{\vec{x}}^2-\lambda \vec{x}^2=\dot{\vec{x}}^2-1=0. \qquad (2)$$
Further we have the "Hamiltonian" of the variational principle as a conserved quantity since the Lagrangian doesn't depend explicitly on "time":
$$H=\vec{p} \cdot \dot{\vec{x}}-L=\frac{1}{2} \dot{\vec{x}}^2 + \frac{\lambda}{2} (\vec{x}^2-1) = \frac{1}{2} \dot{\vec{x}}^2=\text{const}.$$
We can choose the constant to be ##1## by just rescaling the independent parameter ##t##. BTW: This is the advantage of the "square form" of the Lagrangian for the geodesics, because it always automatically makes the curve parameter an affine parameter for the geodesic. So we have ##\dot{\vec{x}}^2=1## and thus using this in (2) gives ##\lambda=1##. Plugging this into (1) finally gives
$$\ddot{\vec{x}}=-\vec{x}.$$
The general solution of this obviously is
$$\vec{x}(t)=\vec{A} \cos t + \vec{B} \sin t.$$
The constraint tells us that
$$\vec{x}^2=1 \; \Rightarrow \; \dot{\vec{x}} \cdot \vec{x}=0 \; \Rightarrow \; (\vec{A} \cos t +\vec{B} \sin t)(-\vec{A} \sin t + \vec{B} \cos t) = (\vec{B}^2- \vec{A}^2) \sin t \cos t + \vec{A} \cdot \vec{B} (\cos^2 t - \sin^2 t)=\frac{1}{2} (\vec{B}^2-\vec{A}^2) \sin(2 t) + \vec{A} \cdot \vec{B} \cos(2 t)=0.$$
Setting ##t=0## implies ##\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B}=0##. Setting ##t=\pi/4## yields ##|\vec{A}|=|\vec{B}|##.

This means that ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{B}## are two perpendicular vectors of equal length ##\ell##. Defining thus ##\vec{e}_1=\vec{A}/\ell## and ##\vec{e}_2 = \vec{B}/\ell## and ##\vec{e}_3=\vec{e}_1 \times \vec{e}_2## one has a Cartesian coodinate system, where the geodesic reads
$$\vec{x}=\ell \begin{pmatrix} \cos t \\ \sin t \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}.$$
Employing once more the constraint ##\vec{x}^2=1## gives ##\ell 1##, and indeed the geodesic is a unit circle around the origin, i.e., a great circle on the sphere.

Likes BvU

1. What is an integral on a spherical surface?

An integral on a spherical surface is a mathematical calculation that involves finding the area or volume of a shape on a curved surface, such as a sphere. This type of integral is commonly used in physics, astronomy, and other fields that deal with spherical objects.

2. What are some tips for solving an integral on a spherical surface?

One tip is to use spherical coordinates, which can simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. Another tip is to break the integral into smaller parts and use symmetry to simplify the calculations. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of trigonometric functions and their properties.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving an integral on a spherical surface?

One common mistake is forgetting to convert the integral to spherical coordinates, which can lead to incorrect results. Another mistake is not considering the symmetry of the problem, which can make the integral more complicated than it needs to be. It is also important to carefully evaluate the limits of integration to ensure they are correct.

4. How can I check if my solution to an integral on a spherical surface is correct?

You can use a computer program or calculator to verify your solution. Additionally, it is always a good idea to double-check your work and make sure you have followed all the necessary steps. If possible, you can also compare your solution to a known solution or ask a colleague or professor to review your work.

5. Are there any real-life applications for solving integrals on a spherical surface?

Yes, there are many real-life applications for this type of integral. For example, in physics, integrals on spherical surfaces are used to calculate the gravitational force between two spherical objects. In astronomy, they are used to calculate the surface area and volume of planets and other celestial bodies. They are also used in engineering and geology to calculate the stress and strain on spherical structures.