Solving angular acceleration Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of angular acceleration at time 0.02 seconds in both radians per second and degrees per second. The individual seeking help attempted to use the equation a= change in v/t but did not get the correct answer. They then received clarification that they needed the average acceleration at t=0.02 and subtracted the velocity at t=0.04 from the initial velocity to get the average acceleration over the interval t=0 to t=0.04. They also discussed the use of the equation v(final velocity)= u(initial velocity) + at for constant acceleration.
pennywise1234

Homework Statement

The absolute angle of the thigh has the following angular velocities during the support phase of
walking. Calculate the angular acceleration at time 0.02s in rad/s and in deg/s

Time (s) Angular Velocity (rad/s)
0 s ---- 1.033
0.02s ------ 1.511
0.04s ----- 1.882
0.06s -----2.19

Homework Equations

i used a= change in v/t but did not get the correct answer

The Attempt at a Solution

i subtracted the final velocity from the velocity at 0.02 and did the same with time. so i got 0.679/0.04 but my answer is off. what am i doing wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
pennywise1234 said:
i subtracted the final velocity from the velocity at 0.02 and did the same with time. so i got 0.679/0.04 but my answer is off. what am i doing wrong ?

By doing what you did you get the average acceleration over the time interval t = 0.02 to t = 0.06. You need the angular acceleration at t = 0.02 . I think your best bet is to subtract v at t = 0.04 from the initial velocity to get the average acceleration over the interval t = 0 to t = 0.04 which would be approximately equal to the acceleration at t = 0.02. Does that help?

Likes pennywise1234
yes, thank you. by why minus from 0.04s- 0 and not from 0.06 - 0.02 ?

The acceleration is not constant in this case which can be verified by doing a = v/t for different intervals. Therefore in this case a = v/t gives the average acceleration over the time interval t. So for the acceleration at t = 0.02 we need the average acceleration for an interval which include t = 0.02. The best estimate would be the interval t = 0 to t = 0.04. The interval t = 0.02 to t = 0.06 may contain 0.02 but it's at an extreme thus the average over that interval does not represent the acceleration at that point.

Hope this helps.

Likes pennywise1234
thank you. i wanted to ask you when dealing with constant acceleration what equation do you use? do you use

v(final velocity)= u(initial velocity) + at (acceleration multiplied by time)

Yes. The equation is the same as the one we use except ours will give average acceleration as the acceleration is variable.

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, which is the rate of change of an object's rotational speed. It is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

2. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula for angular acceleration is: α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1), where α is angular acceleration, ω is angular velocity, and t is time.

3. What factors affect angular acceleration?

The factors that affect angular acceleration are the mass and shape of the object, the force applied to the object, and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

4. How can I solve for angular acceleration in a problem?

To solve for angular acceleration, you will need to know the initial and final angular velocities, as well as the time elapsed. You may also need to use the formula for torque (T = Iα) if the problem involves a rotating object with a moment of inertia (I).

5. What are some real-world applications of solving angular acceleration problems?

Angular acceleration is used in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and sports. It can be applied to problems involving rotation, such as calculating the acceleration of a spinning top or the torque needed to rotate a wheel. In sports, angular acceleration is important in activities like gymnastics and figure skating, where rotational motion is involved.