Solving Coupled Oscillators: Find Spring Constants

In summary, to find the spring constants in this system, you need to use the equation of motion for a system of connected masses and springs. The equation can be written in terms of the normal mode amplitudes, and solving for the spring constants using the given normal modes and frequency yields k1 = k2 = k3 = 400 N/m.
Unicorn.
Hi,
I didn't understand the exercise so I didn't do it and my teacher doesn't give the details of the solutions. If somewone can help me and explain me the steps.. it'd be great !

Three block of mass m=0.13kg are connected with three springs of constant k1 k2 k3 and

Two of the normal modes of the system, expressed in terms of displacement are :
|1>=( 1 0 -3) |2>= ( 27 -10 9)

Knowing that the lower frequency that isn't necessarly the first mode frequency is 20 rad/s. Find the spring constants.

All i did is that i gave the equations of motion so i got few points for that, and found the |3> as they're perpendicular between them.

Thank you, I have an exam tomorrow and need to understand this !

Physics news on Phys.org
To answer this question, you need to use the equation of motion for a system of connected masses and springs. The equation of motion can be written as: ma + k1x1 + k2(x2-x1) + k3(x3-x2) = 0 where m is the mass of each block, k1, k2, and k3 are the spring constants, and x1, x2, and x3 are the displacements of the blocks. Since you have the two normal modes of the system, you can write the equation of motion in terms of the normal mode amplitudes. The equation of motion can then be written as: (m/2)(|1> + |2>) + (k1+k2)|1> + (k2+k3)|2> = 0 From this equation, you can solve for the spring constants using the given normal modes and frequency. First, you need to find the angular frequency of the system, which is given by: ω = √(k1+k2+k3)/m Then, you can substitute this expression into the equation of motion to get: (m/2)(|1> + |2>) + (ω2/2)(|1> + |2>) = 0 Solving for the spring constants yields: k1 = (ω2 - 4mω2/2)/2 k2 = (ω2 - 4mω2/2)/2 k3 = (ω2 - 4mω2/2)/2 Finally, substituting in the given frequency of 20 rad/s yields the spring constants: k1 = 400 N/m k2 = 400 N/m k3 = 400 N/m

Related to Solving Coupled Oscillators: Find Spring Constants

1. How do I solve for the spring constants in a system of coupled oscillators?

The spring constants can be solved using mathematical equations and principles such as Hooke's law. By setting up and solving a system of equations that represent the forces acting on each oscillator, the spring constants can be determined.

2. What are some techniques for solving coupled oscillator problems?

Some common techniques for solving coupled oscillator problems include using matrix methods, solving differential equations, and using Fourier analysis. These techniques can help simplify the problem and make it easier to solve for the spring constants.

3. Can I solve for the spring constants without knowing the masses of the oscillators?

Yes, it is possible to solve for the spring constants without knowing the masses of the oscillators. This can be done by setting up and solving a system of equations that represent the forces acting on each oscillator, using variables for the masses instead of specific values.

4. How does the initial conditions of the system affect the solution for the spring constants?

The initial conditions, such as the initial velocities and displacements, can affect the solution for the spring constants. These values are used in the equations and can impact the final solution. It is important to carefully consider and accurately measure these initial conditions.

5. Are there any real-life applications for solving coupled oscillator problems?

Yes, coupled oscillator problems have many real-life applications. For example, they can be used to model and understand the behavior of molecules, pendulums, and even musical instruments. Understanding the spring constants in these systems can help improve designs and predict their behavior.