Solving Cross Section Confusion: Adding Positive and Negative Ions

In summary, the speaker is asking for help understanding how to handle the cross section (surface) in their formula for positive and negative ions. They are advised to check the answer when ignoring the cross section and to consider the direction of charge carrier movement if they get a wrong answer.
arrozito
Homework Statement
A fluorescent tube with 3 cm diameter has a flux of positive and negative ions in it. That flux is
2x10^18 electrons by second and 0.5x10^18 positive ions (with charge +e) by second. What’s the current
inside the tube?

(sol 0,4A)
Relevant Equations
I = dq/dt = (delta)q/(delta)t = q/t
ik that i have to add the positive and negative ions but the cross section (surface) confuses me how do i resolve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello arrozito, :welcome: !

arrozito said:
how do i resolve this
Well, since it does not occur in your relevant formula, perhaps you can forget about it ? Check what the answer is when you do (forget about it) !

Note: flux generally is per unit of area, but if the dimension of your given data doesn't have that, you may assume it is for the area of your device. Confusing, though !

Note 2: if you get a wrong answer of the right order of magnitude, consider the directions in which the charge carriers move: same or opposite ?

Likes arrozito

1. What is cross section confusion?

Cross section confusion refers to the difficulty in accurately measuring the size or shape of a molecule or particle in a mass spectrometer due to the presence of both positive and negative ions. This can lead to inaccurate or conflicting results.

2. How do positive and negative ions contribute to cross section confusion?

Positive and negative ions have different mass-to-charge ratios, which can lead to different trajectories and detection in a mass spectrometer. This can make it challenging to accurately determine the true size or shape of a molecule or particle.

3. What techniques can be used to solve cross section confusion?

One technique is to use tandem mass spectrometry, where the molecule or particle is fragmented and the individual fragments are analyzed separately. This allows for a more accurate measurement of the molecular size or shape. Other techniques include ion mobility spectrometry and theoretical calculations.

4. How can cross section confusion affect scientific research?

Cross section confusion can lead to inaccurate data and conclusions, which can impact the validity of scientific research. It can also make it difficult to compare results between different studies or laboratories, hindering progress in the field.

5. Are there any current advancements in solving cross section confusion?

Yes, there are ongoing efforts to develop new techniques and improve existing ones to better understand and solve cross section confusion. Additionally, advancements in technology and computational methods are helping to address this issue in mass spectrometry and other analytical techniques.