Solving Cubic equation to graph

• Thread starter MathTroubled
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cubic Graph
In summary, to graph the equation P=-0.2t^3+2t^2+8t+2, where t belongs to the interval [0,13], you can use Newton-Raphson's method to find the x-intercepts and characterize the turning points of the graph. Alternatively, you can shift the graph down by 2 and then factor to find the x-intercepts.
MathTroubled

Homework Statement

Graph this equation:
P=-0.2t^3+2t^2+8t+2
t belongs to [0,13]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can't seem to get factored to find x-int.
and the rest of the graph.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep it doesn't factorize nicely. That means you can't easily find the x-intercept(s), but don't let that stop you (there may not even be any x-intercepts in your region of interest).

Go ahead and find the start/end points plus any max/min and POIs in the given region.

Im kinda math troubled like my username says lol.
Can anyone show me the steps they took to solve this?

MathTroubled said:
Im kinda math troubled like my username says lol.
Can anyone show me the steps they took to solve this?

Have you never, ever, drawn a graph before?

RGV

yeah my textbook doesn't describe transformations well for this chapter.

MathTroubled said:
yeah my textbook doesn't describe transformations well for this chapter.

I did not ask about "transformations". I asked you if you had ever drawn a graph. Is the answer 'yes' or 'no'?

If you have already done similar things before, just do the same things for this problem.

If you have not drawn a graph before (and if your book does not explain how to do it) there are numerous web pages
that explain what to do. For example, see
http://cstl.syr.edu/fipse/grapha/unit2/unit2.html and
http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/book8/bk8i14/bk8_14i3.htm .
In your case, however, the curve y = f(t) is not a straight line, so all you can do is make a table of some(t,y) values, and
hand-draw a smooth curve that passes through them.

RGV

Last edited by a moderator:
Plot a graph of p vs t for some values of t in your range of interest.
Stand back and look what shape it is trying to be and where it seems to be heading for the t axis. This will tell you when you are getting close to the roots.

Particularly - plot p for t=0 and t=13 (your endpoints). If your endpoints are on opposite sides of the t axis, then there is at least one root. If p is on opposite sides of the t axis for two adjacent values of t, then there is at least one root between them.

Use Newton-Raphson's method to get the rest of the way.

Looks like you can find and characterize the turning points of the graph OK ... that will also give you clues.

Or you can look up the general formula:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_function

MathTroubled said:

Homework Statement

Graph this equation:
P=-0.2t^3+2t^2+8t+2
t belongs to [0,13]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can't seem to get factored to find x-int.
and the rest of the graph.
If you shift the graph down by 2 you can factor that.

y = P(t) - 2 = -0.2t3+2t2+8t .

Related to Solving Cubic equation to graph

1. What is a cubic equation?

A cubic equation is a polynomial equation of degree three, meaning that the highest power of the variable is three. It is in the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0, where a, b, c, and d are constants.

2. How do you solve a cubic equation?

There are several methods for solving a cubic equation, including factoring, using the rational root theorem, and using the cubic formula. The most common method is to use the cubic formula, which involves finding the roots of the equation using complex numbers.

3. Why is it important to graph a cubic equation?

Graphing a cubic equation allows us to visualize the solutions to the equation and understand the behavior of the function. It can also help us identify any real or complex roots of the equation and determine the end behavior of the function.

4. How many solutions can a cubic equation have?

A cubic equation can have up to three solutions, but it can also have fewer. This is because some solutions may be complex numbers, and some may be repeated roots. However, by the fundamental theorem of algebra, a cubic equation will always have at least one solution.

5. What is the significance of the discriminant in solving a cubic equation?

The discriminant of a cubic equation is a key factor in determining the number and nature of its solutions. If the discriminant is positive, the equation will have three distinct real roots. If it is negative, the equation will have one real root and two complex roots. And if the discriminant is zero, the equation will have one single root that is repeated three times.