Solving Derivatives with the Chain Rule

In summary, the problem is that the student is trying to do a derivative using a rule that is wrong because they accidentally left out the g(x)^2 term. Without this term, the derivative is incorrect.
arhzz
Homework Statement
Denote c (t) the concentration of an active ingredient in the blood t hours after the injection
and c (t) = 16t applies
(10t + 20)^2. Find the maximum concentration and timing of the
occurrence.
Relevant Equations
-
Hello! Now this is not really a physics problem of the usual kind but I'd say you could consider it one.Still I'd like to post my problem here because here I always get great help and advice.Now for this problem in particular,it is in the section of the book that deals with derivatives so I asummed I'd have to use it at some point.Now the derivative I used is c(t)/t.So t is our differantiation constant.Now here lies my problem. Since this is ##
\frac f g## I used the rule. that is used which is $$\frac{f(x)' * g(x) - f(x) * g'(x)}{g(x)^2}$$ Now since I didnt get the same result,and after trying for about 40 minutes I went to look at the solution and they used the same rule (the numerator was the same) but they completely left the denomiantor, they simply derived without the g(x)^2 or in this case should be g(x)^4. Why is that so? What am I missing ?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
arhzz said:
.. .and c (t) = 16t applies ##\quad## (10t + 20)^2 ...
What am I missing ?
I don't know what you are missing, but I miss a sensible problem statement :rolleyes:

arhzz said:
Now the derivative I used is c(t)/t.So t is our differantiation constant.Now here lies my problem.
From now on you want to type a space after a period :smile:
And type sensible sentences (the first two are not: c(t)/t is not a derivative and definitely not constant !)

Let me guess: you were given $$ c(t) = {16 t\over (10t+20)^2}\qquad ?$$ If I guessed right, what is your ##f## and what is your ##g## ?

BvU said:
From now on you want to type a space after a period :smile:
And type sensible sentences (the first two are not: c(t)/t is not a derivative and definitely not constant !)

Let me guess: you were given $$ c(t) = {16 t\over (10t+20)^2}\qquad ?$$ If I guessed right, what is your ##f## and what is your ##g## ?
Yea I am given that, the thing is I am actually translating all of this from german,and it can be very tricky sometimes,especially because english is my 3rd language.I'll try to watch out on the phrases,and sentences sorry.

So as for your question, f is 16t and g should be ##(10t + 20)^2##

Correct. So you see the ##g^2 = (10t+20)^4## coming ...

The exercise asks for a maximum. At a maximum, the derivative is zero. And a fraction is zero if the numerator is zero (and the denominator is non-zero, which needs to be checked, of course).
##10t+20## is always positive and that is why they don't have to consider it.

Likes arhzz
Yea I figured it would have to something with the way the exercise was asked,but thank you for the insight now I get it.But while I'm at it,what if 10t +20 wasnt always positive, if we had 10t-20 ? How would that change the exercise?

The patient would explode at t=2

Oh wow, that I didnt expect.Thanks for your help!

You are welcome!

1. What is the Chain Rule?

The Chain Rule is a mathematical rule that is used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. When do I use the Chain Rule?

The Chain Rule is used when finding the derivative of a composite function, where the function is composed of two or more functions. It is also used when finding the derivative of a function that is nested within another function.

3. How do I apply the Chain Rule?

To apply the Chain Rule, you first need to identify the outer and inner functions of the composite function. Then, take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. If there are more than two functions in the composite function, you will need to use the Chain Rule multiple times.

4. What are some common mistakes when using the Chain Rule?

One common mistake when using the Chain Rule is forgetting to take the derivative of the inner function. Another mistake is not properly identifying the outer and inner functions. It is important to pay attention to the order of operations when using the Chain Rule.

5. Are there any tips for solving derivatives with the Chain Rule?

One tip for solving derivatives with the Chain Rule is to use a table or chart to keep track of the derivatives of each function. Another tip is to practice identifying the outer and inner functions in composite functions, as this is a crucial step in applying the Chain Rule correctly.