Solving Difficult Sums: a+x and 1/p+q+x Equations Explained

• Thread starter 1/2"
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sums
In summary, the conversation includes a request for help in solving two problems involving fractional exponents and equations. The first problem is (a+x)^1/3 + (a-x)^1/3= b, and the second problem is 1/p+q+x=1/p+1/q+1/x. The expert suggests using parentheses around the exponents and provides a hint to solve the first problem by substituting x = a + t^3. The conversation ends with the person thanking the expert for their help and stating that they have solved the problem.
1/2"
Hi there!
Here are a few sums that are making me go nuts:cry:( actually can't get any clue how to solve:confused:)
so here they are
( a+x)^1/3 + (a-x)^1/3= b
( Gosh I wish there could be some rule so that we could straight away write a^ 1/3 and x^1/3 anyway:-p)
And 1/p+q+x=1/p+1/q+1/x
I WOULD BE RALLY VERY THANKFUL IF ANYONE COULD GIVE A "HINT:cry:"!
THANK YOU:smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you have fractional exponents written as you have them, use parentheses around the exponent. The 1/3 power is the same as the cube root.

[tex]\sqrt[3]{a + x} + \sqrt[3]{a + x}~=~2\sqrt[3]{a + x}[/tex]
Now, divide both sides of your equation by 2, and then cube both sides.

For you other problem, 1/p+q+x=1/p+1/q+1/x, it's hard to say anything without knowing exactly what the problem is -- use parentheses.
As you have written it, the problem is (1/p) + q + x = 1/p+1/q+1/x. I suspect that you meant the left side to be 1/(p + q + x), but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Ya it's 1/(p+q+x)

Sorry i got the sign wrong it should be
( a+x)^1/3 + (a-x)^1/3= b
I am REALLY VERY SORRRRRY!

That makes it a different, and harder, problem...

Substitute x =a + t^3 to write this as:

(2a + t^3)^1/3 - t = b ------->

(2a + t^3)^1/3 = b + t

Take the cube of both sides. You'll see that the t^3 term cancels, so you have a quadratic equation for t.

Thanks A LOT . :smile::smile:
I have figured the answer !:biggrin:

Related to Solving Difficult Sums: a+x and 1/p+q+x Equations Explained

1. What are some strategies for solving difficult sums?

Some strategies for solving difficult sums include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, using visual aids or diagrams, trying different approaches, and seeking help from others.

2. How can I improve my mental math skills to solve difficult sums?

To improve your mental math skills, you can practice regularly, use mnemonic devices or shortcuts, and try solving problems mentally without writing anything down.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a difficult sum?

If you get stuck on a difficult sum, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or seeking help from a teacher or tutor.

4. How can I prevent making mistakes when solving difficult sums?

To prevent making mistakes when solving difficult sums, double-check your work, use a calculator if appropriate, and pay attention to details such as signs and decimal points.

5. How can I apply problem-solving skills to solve difficult sums?

To apply problem-solving skills to solve difficult sums, identify the key information and variables involved, think logically and critically, and break the problem down into manageable steps.