Solving Electromagnetism problems in 3 dimensions

In summary: And then practice solving problems with both methods, using the math first and then using the physics understanding first. And then compare the results. If the results are identical you're on the right track, and you can start to rely on the math more.Zz.In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties in solving electromagnetism problems when the coordinate axes are changed. The speaker asks for advice on understanding simplified concepts and is reminded to consider the 'handedness' of the cross product. It is suggested to learn vector calculus and practice solving problems using both mathematical and physical approaches.
Physicslearner500039
i am able to understand problems and solve electromagnetism problems, if the currents are given to be flowing in wires and circle loops in the xy axis. But if they provide similar problems in z axis i am finding it difficult to imagine and do the calculations. My question is any simple concepts available to understand? Please advise. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can change the names of the coordinate axes as you want without changing anything, provided you remember to keep the "handedness" of the cross product ##\mathbf{v}\times \mathbf{B}## the same as in the original xyz coordinate system.

Likes Physicslearner500039
Physicslearner500039 said:
Summary:: Simplifying problems in 3 axis

i am able to understand problems and solve electromagnetism problems, if the currents are given to be flowing in wires and circle loops in the xy axis. But if they provide similar problems in z axis i am finding it difficult to imagine and do the calculations. My question is any simple concepts available to understand? Please advise. Thank you.

This is vague, and strange. First of all, if the current is in a loop in the x-y plane, it is impossible for there to be a similar problem that has current ONLY in the z-axis. It must be in the zy-plane or zy-plane. You can't go from 2D to 1D and expect it to be the same problem.

Secondly, if you are given the loop in the xz-plane, for example, what is to prevent you from re-labeling the axes so that you get back the xy-plane configuration that you claimed that you have understood?

My guess is that you are referring to a specific problem that you have encountered (and something we are not privy to). Without seeing this specific problem, all we have are vague interpretation of that problem. My suggestion is for you to post this problem in the HW forum, and clearly show what you have attempted, and what exactly you are confused with. Only then can we actually give specific (and probably beneficial) help to get you to figure out how to do such a problem.

Zz.

Likes Vanadium 50 and Physicslearner500039
What helps a lot is to learn the appropriate mathematics, called vector calculus (div, grad, curl as well as line, surface and volume integrals) first. The good thing is that it's a very fascinating subject in itself!

Likes Physicslearner500039

1. How do you solve electromagnetism problems in 3 dimensions?

Solving electromagnetism problems in 3 dimensions involves using mathematical equations and principles to analyze and understand the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in three-dimensional space. This includes using vector calculus, Maxwell's equations, and boundary conditions to determine the electric and magnetic fields at different points in space.

2. What are the main challenges when solving electromagnetism problems in 3 dimensions?

The main challenges when solving electromagnetism problems in 3 dimensions include the complexity of the equations involved, the need for precise and accurate calculations, and the consideration of boundary conditions and material properties. Additionally, visualizing and understanding the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in three-dimensional space can be difficult.

3. What are some common applications of solving electromagnetism problems in 3 dimensions?

Electromagnetism problems in 3 dimensions are commonly used in various fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and materials science. Some specific applications include designing electronic circuits, analyzing the behavior of antennas, and understanding the properties of materials in electromagnetic fields.

4. How does solving electromagnetism problems in 3 dimensions differ from solving in 2 dimensions?

Solving electromagnetism problems in 3 dimensions is more complex than solving in 2 dimensions because it involves an additional dimension and requires more advanced mathematical techniques. In 3 dimensions, the electric and magnetic fields can vary in all three directions, while in 2 dimensions they only vary in two directions.

5. What are some tools or software used for solving electromagnetism problems in 3 dimensions?

There are various tools and software available for solving electromagnetism problems in 3 dimensions, such as MATLAB, COMSOL Multiphysics, and ANSYS. These programs use numerical methods to solve complex equations and can provide visualizations of the electric and magnetic fields in 3D space.