Solving equation numerical using lipschitz

In summary: We then repeat this process, using the newly calculated point x^(1) as our next guess for x^*. We continue this iteration until we reach a point x^(k) that satisfies the Lipschitz condition, meaning that g(x^(k)) - x^(k) is very close to 0.In summary, the Lipschitz method is a numerical method used to solve fixed-point equations. It involves finding a point x^* that satisfies the Lipschitz condition, which states that the distance between g(x) and g(y) is less than or equal to L times the distance between x and y. This is achieved through iterations,
Larsson

Homework Statement

This problem is about solving an equation system numerical using lipschitz method or whatever the name is.

x_1 = sqrt(1-x^2)
x_2 = sqrt((9-5x_1^2)/21)

and we create
(x_1,x_2) = x
g(x) = (x_1,x_2) (fixed point equation)

lipschitz states:
||x^(k+1) - x^*|| <= L*||x^k - x^*||
0<L<1

where x^* is the fix-point, which means x^* = g(x^*)

(k is not an exponent, it's indexation)

Homework Equations

Se above

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem now is to really get started and doing the iterations, and that's where I'm kind of stuck. I suppose I'll have to start with a guess on x_1 and x_2, so lets.

(x_1)^(k =0) = 1
(x_2)^(k =0) = 1

I try using the lipschitz for x_1
||x_1^(k =2) - sqrt(1-(x_2)^2) || <= L* ||1 - sqrt(1-(x_2)^2) ||
But this just looks like crap to me. From this I want to solve x_1^(k = 2), but I don't see how that's done. And I'm not even sure this is the right setup with lipschitz. I don't see how the iteration is supposed to be done, and all I know about L is that it's between 0 and 1, what value should L have?. Could someone please show me the first the of the iteration so I see how it works?

Physics news on Phys.org

I understand your confusion with using the Lipschitz method to solve this equation system. The Lipschitz method is a numerical method used to solve fixed-point equations, which is what we have in this problem. Let me walk you through the steps of using this method to solve the given equation system.

First, let's define the fixed-point equation, as you have already done:

g(x) = (x_1,x_2) = (sqrt(1-x^2), sqrt((9-5x_1^2)/21))

The goal of the Lipschitz method is to find a fixed point of this equation, denoted by x^*. This means that x^* = g(x^*). Now, we will use the Lipschitz condition to find this fixed point.

The Lipschitz condition states that for a given function g, there exists a constant L such that for any two points x and y, the distance between g(x) and g(y) is less than or equal to L times the distance between x and y. This can be written as:

||g(x) - g(y)|| <= L*||x - y||

Now, in our case, we want to find a fixed point x^* = (x_1^*, x_2^*) such that x^* = g(x^*), or in other words, g(x^*) - x^* = 0. So, we can rewrite the Lipschitz condition as:

||g(x^*) - x^*|| <= L*||x^* - x^*||

Since the distance between a point and itself is always 0, this simplifies to:

||g(x^*) - x^*|| <= 0

This means that the fixed point x^* must be a point where g(x^*) = x^*. So, our goal now is to find this point.

The Lipschitz method uses iterations to approximate the fixed point x^*. We start with an initial guess for x^*, denoted by x^(0). In this case, you have chosen x^(0) = (1,1). Then, we use the fixed-point equation g(x) to calculate a new point, denoted by x^(1):

x^(1) = g(x^(0)) = (sqrt(1-(x^(0))^2), sqrt((9-5(x

Related to Solving equation numerical using lipschitz

1. How is Lipschitz continuity used in solving numerical equations?

Lipschitz continuity is a mathematical concept that ensures the existence and uniqueness of solutions to equations. It is used to prove the convergence of numerical methods for solving equations by guaranteeing that small changes in the input will result in small changes in the output.

2. What is the definition of a Lipschitz function?

A Lipschitz function is a continuous function with a constant, known as the Lipschitz constant, that bounds the rate of change of the function. This means that the function cannot change too quickly, preventing sharp spikes or discontinuities.

3. How does the Lipschitz constant affect the convergence of numerical methods?

The Lipschitz constant directly affects the rate of convergence of numerical methods used to solve equations. A smaller Lipschitz constant means that the function changes more slowly, resulting in faster convergence of numerical methods. A higher Lipschitz constant may lead to slower or even non-convergence of the method.

4. Can any equation be solved using Lipschitz continuity?

Not all equations can be solved using Lipschitz continuity. The equation must have a unique solution and the function must be continuous and have a bounded rate of change. However, many common equations, such as polynomial equations, can be solved using this method.

5. How can I determine the Lipschitz constant for a given equation?

The Lipschitz constant can be calculated using the derivative of the function. For a function with multiple variables, the Lipschitz constant can be found by taking the maximum of the derivative with respect to each variable. Alternatively, if the equation is in a specific form, the Lipschitz constant may be known or can be easily calculated.