Using continuity to evaluate a limit of a composite function

In summary: Many thanks!In summary, the solution to this problem is that if a polynomial has two real roots, then it is positive or negative depending on whether a>0 or a<0.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this problem,
1680658325619.png

1680658335960.png

The solution is,
1680658369794.png

However, I tried to solve this problem using my Graphics Calculator instead of completing the square. I got the zeros of ##x^2 - 2x - 4## to be ##x_1 = 3.236## and ##x_2 = -1.236##

Therefore ##x_1 ≥ 3.236## and ##x_2 ≥ -1.236##

Since ##x_1 > x_2## then,

Therefore ## (x | x ≥ -1.236 ) ## which is ##~(x | x ≥ 1 - \sqrt{5} )~## (sorry curly brackets were not working), however, my domain restriction excludes some other values shown in the solution. Dose anybody please know a way using my method to get those values?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the process of ##lim_{x\rightarrow 4}## we put x in the region ##(4-\epsilon, 4+\epsilon)## for any small positive number ##\epsilon##, which is in your {x| 3.236<x} but not in {x|x<-1.236}.

For an example of another exercise of ##lim_{x\rightarrow -2}## we put x in the region ##(-2-\epsilon, -2+\epsilon)## for any small positive number ##\epsilon##, which is not in your {x| 3.236<x} but is in {x|x<-1.236}.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
anuttarasammyak said:
In the process of ##lim_{x\rightarrow 4}## we put x in the region ##(4-\epsilon, 4+\epsilon)## for any small positive number ##\epsilon##, which is in your {x| 3.236<x} but not in {x|x<-1.236}.

For an example of another exercise of ##lim_{x\rightarrow -2}## we put x in the region ##(-2-\epsilon, -2+\epsilon)## for any small positive number ##\epsilon##, which is not in your {x| 3.236<x} but is in {x|x<-1.236}.
Thank you for your reply @anuttarasammyak !

Sorry, I have not really done by epsilon-delta definition of a limit.

Many thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:
Homework Statement: Please see below
Relevant Equations: Please see below

For this problem,
View attachment 324502
View attachment 324503
The solution is,
View attachment 324504
However, I tried to solve this problem using my Graphics Calculator instead of completing the square. I got the zeros of ##x^2 - 2x - 4## to be ##x_1 = 3.236## and ##x_2 = -1.236##

Therefore ##x_1 ≥ 3.236## and ##x_2 ≥ -1.236##

Since ##x_1 > x_2## then,

Therefore ## (x | x ≥ -1.236 ) ## which is ##~(x | x ≥ 1 - \sqrt{5} )~## (sorry curly brackets were not working), however, my domain restriction excludes some other values shown in the solution. Dose anybody please know a way using my method to get those values?

Many thanks!

For [itex]P(x) = ax^2 + bx + c[/itex]:

If [itex]P[/itex] has only a single real root, or no real roots:
  • If [itex]a > 0[/itex] then [itex]P(x) \geq 0[/itex] everywhere.
  • If [itex]a < 0[/itex] then [itex]P(x) \geq 0[/itex] only at the real root (if any).
If [itex]P[/itex] has two distinct real roots [itex]r_1 < r_2[/itex]:
  • If [itex]a > 0[/itex] then [itex]P(x) \geq 0[/itex] for [itex]x \leq r_1[/itex] or [itex]x \geq r_2[/itex] ("outside the roots").
  • If [itex]a < 0[/itex] then [itex]P(x) \geq 0[/itex] for [itex]r_1 \leq x \leq r_2[/itex] ("between the roots").

All of these results follow from the facts that [itex]P(x)[/itex] is positive for all sufficiently large [itex]|x|[/itex] if [itex]a > 0[/itex] and negative for all sufficiently large [itex]|x|[/itex] if [itex]a < 0[/itex] and that a polynomial only changes sign at a real root of odd multiplicity.

Alternatively, by completing the square you can reduce this to either [itex]|x - p| \leq q[/itex] or [itex]|x - p| \geq q[/itex]. The first has the interpretation that [itex]x[/itex] is at most [itex]q[/itex] units away from [itex]p[/itex], ie. [itex]p - q \leq x \leq p + q[/itex]. The second has the interpretation that [itex]x[/itex] is at least [itex]q[/itex] units away from [itex]p[/itex], ie. [itex]x \leq p -q[/itex] or [itex]x \geq p + q[/itex].

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes ChiralSuperfields
This seems a case of using continuity implies sequential continuity. ( Though the converse is false).

Likes ChiralSuperfields

1. What is continuity?

Continuity is a mathematical concept that describes the smoothness and connectedness of a function. A function is considered continuous if there are no sudden jumps or breaks in its graph.

2. How is continuity used to evaluate a limit?

Continuity is used to evaluate a limit by allowing us to replace the limit of a function with the value of the function at that point, as long as the function is continuous at that point.

3. What is a composite function?

A composite function is a function that is formed by combining two or more functions. The output of one function becomes the input of the next function in the composite.

4. How is continuity applied to a composite function?

To evaluate the limit of a composite function, we first evaluate the inner function at the given point. If the inner function is continuous at that point, we can then evaluate the outer function at the output of the inner function to find the limit.

5. What are the key properties of a function that must be satisfied for continuity to hold?

For continuity to hold, a function must be defined at the point in question, the limit of the function must exist at that point, and the limit must equal the value of the function at that point. Additionally, the left and right limits of the function at that point must be equal.