Solving equations numerically in Mathcad 2001i Professional

In summary, the conversation is about the process of creating a path for a spacecraft from Earth to the moon and back using a slingshot around the moon. The person is struggling to solve the problem in two dimensions and is seeking help on how to approach it. They have provided equations and a diagram, but are not sure if they are on the right track. They also mention using the "for" function and fixing errors in their equations later.
Henriklm

Homework Statement

Hey there..

I would like to make a path for a spacecraft from Earth to moon, and back again. I found this pdf that explains how, but i can't figure it out.

Homework Equations

http://courses.ncssm.edu/math/NCSSM%...r%203/Moon.pdf

"Part II: The slingshot around the Moon. A two-dimensional problem" (p. 4-6).

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the trick to take initiating x,y coordinates and x,y velocity, calculate the acceleration at that point and then calculate where it will be after 0.001 t, then calculate the new acceleration and velocity and so on?

How can I solve this using Mathcad 2001i Professional?

Or am I approaching this the wrong way?
I´ve solved the first part of the PDF, where it is in one dimension, but I can't figure out how to do it in two dimentions :S

Thank you :-)

Henrik

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how to use the "for" function, but here goes

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/6548/billedtilsp.jpg

mmåne = mass of moon
mjord = mass of earth
xmåne = x position of moon
ymåne = y position of moon

Earth = (0;0)

Could this be a solution? Am i going down the right path, or is it a dead end this way. If not, what could be a solution?

Thank you :-)

Henrik

P.S. I am sure there is a lot of errors in the equation for acceleration, but I can always fix that later :-)

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Mathcad 2001i Professional?

Mathcad 2001i Professional is a computer software program used for mathematical calculations and problem-solving. It allows users to input equations and perform numerical calculations to solve for unknown variables.

How do I solve equations numerically in Mathcad 2001i Professional?

To solve equations numerically in Mathcad 2001i Professional, you can use the built-in numerical solve function. This function allows you to specify the equation, the variable you want to solve for, and any other necessary parameters. The program will then use numerical methods to find the solution.

What are the advantages of solving equations numerically in Mathcad 2001i Professional?

Using numerical methods to solve equations in Mathcad 2001i Professional allows for more complex and non-linear equations to be solved. It also provides a more accurate solution compared to solving by hand or using approximate methods.

Are there any limitations to solving equations numerically in Mathcad 2001i Professional?

Yes, there are limitations to solving equations numerically in Mathcad 2001i Professional. The program may have difficulty solving equations with multiple solutions or equations that have a large number of variables. Additionally, it may take longer to solve more complex equations.

Can I use Mathcad 2001i Professional for other types of mathematical calculations?

Yes, Mathcad 2001i Professional can be used for various types of mathematical calculations, including symbolic solving, plotting graphs, and performing statistical analysis. It also has features for creating and documenting engineering designs and calculations.