Solving Equations of Circles: Finding Center and Radius | Homework Help

• Thread starter morrowcosom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circles
In summary, the equation of the given circle is x^2 + y^2 - 3x + 7y - 6 = 0. The center of the circle is (3/2, -7/2) and the radius is sqrt(41/2).
morrowcosom

Homework Statement

Here is the equation of a circle:
x^2 + y^2 - 3x + 7y - 6 = 0

It is your job to find the center and the radius of the circle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enter the coordinates of the center and the radius (as numbers):

Homework Equations

(x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2
(a,b)=center

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem: x^2 + y^2 - 3x + 7y - 6 = 0
(x-3/2)^2+(y-(-7/2)^2

(x-3/2) (x-3/2)= x^2 -3/2x -3/2x +9/4= x^2-3x+9/4
(y+7/2) (y+7/2)= y^2 +7/2y +7/2y +49/4= y^2+7y+49/4

So, x^2+y^2-3x+7y-29/2= -sqrt(17/2)

I am doing independent study on a computer program. I have the values for the x and y coordinates right, but my value for the radius (sqrt(17/2)) is not right. I do not understand this because when I square this radius and move it over to the other side I get -6 just like the original equation of x^2 + y^2 - 3x + 7y - 6 = 0. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try arranging your work like this:

x2 - 3x + y2 + 7y = 6

Now add to both sides:

x2 - 3x + 9/4 + y2 + 7y + 49/4= 6 + 9/4 + 49/4

(x - 3/2)2 + (y + 7/2)2 = 82/4 = 41/2

Now you can read off the center and radius.

Related to Solving Equations of Circles: Finding Center and Radius | Homework Help

1. What is the general equation for a circle?

The general equation for a circle is (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) represents the center of the circle and r represents the radius.

2. How do I find the center of a circle given its equation?

To find the center of a circle given its equation, you can rewrite the equation in the form (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2 and identify the values of h and k. These values will represent the x-coordinate and y-coordinate of the center, respectively.

3. How do I find the radius of a circle given its equation?

To find the radius of a circle given its equation, you can take the square root of the coefficient of the r^2 term. In other words, the radius is equal to the square root of the number that is being added to (or subtracted from) the x and y terms.

4. Can I use the Pythagorean Theorem to solve equations of circles?

Yes, the Pythagorean Theorem can be used to solve equations of circles. This theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. In the case of a circle, the radius can be thought of as the hypotenuse of a right triangle with the x and y coordinates of the center as the other two sides.

5. Are there any other methods for solving equations of circles?

Yes, there are other methods for solving equations of circles, such as completing the square or using the distance formula. However, the general equation (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2 is the most commonly used method for finding the center and radius of a circle.