Solving Euler Equation for X^m (m^2 + 1)^2 = 0

• Thread starter Beretta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Euler
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation using Cauchy Euler Equation and finding the roots of (m^2 + 1)^2. There is confusion about the solution in the book, which includes ln x terms, and the solution from the individual's calculation, which does not. The ln x terms are explained as a result of using a substitution to convert the equation to one with constant coefficients.
Beretta
I did solve this differential equation (x^4)y'''' + 6x^3y''' + 9x^2 + 3xy' + y = 0 using Cauchy Euler Equation. I got X^m (m^2 + 1)^2 = 0
I'm not sure how to get the roots of (m^2 + 1)^2. In my calculation I got
m = -i, +i, -i, +i when I put m^2 = -1. In the book they have m = (+-) (squar(-4))/2 = (+-)2i. I don't know how they get this result. Any way, according to their result:
y = c1 cos(in x) + c2 sin (lnx) + c3 ln x cos(lnx) + c4 ln x sin (lnx).

According to mine:

y = c1 cos(in x) + c2 sin (lnx) + c3 cos(lnx) + c4 sin (lnx).

Where did they get the ln x before the last cos(ln x) and sin(ln x) from?

Thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
That's very peculiar.

Yes, the "characteristic equation" reduces to (m2+ 1)2= 0 which has m= i and -i as double roots.

You say your text gives the roots as 2i and -2i but then the "2"s do not show up in the book's solution to the equation?

Remember how, in an equation with constant coefficients, if your characteristic equation had multiple roots, you had to multiply by "x" to get a new, independent solution? Same thing here except that it is ln x you multiply by.

The reason for that is this: if you let t= ln x, then dy/dx= (dy/dt)(dt/dx)= (1/x)dy/dt so that x dy/dx becomes just dy/dt. The same thing happens to the other derivatives so the the "Euler-type" equation becomes an equation with constant coefficients. That new equation turns out to have exactly the same characteristic equation, (m2+ 1)2= 0 so that the characteristic roots are still i, -i, i, -i. That means the general solution, in terms of t, is
y(t)= C1cos(t)+ C2sin(t)+ C3t cos(t)+ C4t sin(t).

Putting t= ln(x) back in,
y(x)= C1cos(ln(x))+ C2sin(lin(x))+ C3ln(x) cos(ln(x))+ C4ln(x) sin(ln(x)).

The four solutions have to be linearly independent and you may prove the solutions for characteristic equations with repeated roots by reducing the order. Set up the condition as you know the first solution for a homogeneous equation, then solve for another by using y2=u(x)y1, substute in and solve for u(x), you get a nice y2=xe^rx, where r is arepested root from characteristic equation.

Related to Solving Euler Equation for X^m (m^2 + 1)^2 = 0

1. What is the Euler equation?

The Euler equation is a mathematical equation that represents the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe various phenomena.

2. What is the purpose of solving the Euler equation for X^m (m^2 + 1)^2 = 0?

The purpose of solving this equation is to find the values of X that satisfy the equation. This can help us understand the behavior of the function and make predictions about its properties.

3. How do you solve the Euler equation for X^m (m^2 + 1)^2 = 0?

To solve this equation, we can use various mathematical techniques such as substitution, factoring, or the quadratic formula. The specific method used depends on the form of the equation and the values of m.

4. What are the possible solutions to the Euler equation for X^m (m^2 + 1)^2 = 0?

The possible solutions to this equation depend on the value of m. If m is an even integer, there will be two real solutions. If m is an odd integer, there will be one real solution. If m is a complex number, there will be two complex solutions.

5. How can solving the Euler equation for X^m (m^2 + 1)^2 = 0 be applied in real life?

The Euler equation has many real-world applications, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. It can be used to model and predict the behavior of systems, optimize functions, and solve various problems in these fields.