Solving Euler's Equation: Finding Solutions of the Form x^r

• Thread starter _N3WTON_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffeq
In summary: I was on the right track but I was also missing a key part. Thanks again for the help!In summary, Euler's equation has solutions of the form x^r. This can be found by obtaining the characteristic equation ar(r-1) + br + c = 0. For part 1 of the problem, the characteristic equation is solved by using the assumption that y(x) = x^r. For part 2, the solution is found by using the double root case and differentiating the differential equation with respect to r, which results in x^r*ln(x) being a solution in addition to x^r.
_N3WTON_

Homework Statement

Part 1: Show that Euler's equation has solutions of the form [itex]x^r[/itex]. This can be found by obtaining the characteristic equation [itex] ar(r-1) + br + c = 0 [/itex]
Part 2: Solve the following Euler equation: [itex] x^{2}y'' + xy' = 0[/itex]

Homework Equations

Euler's Equation:
[itex] ax^{2}y'' + bxy' + cy = 0 [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For part 1, I didn't have much of a problem, I let [itex] y(x) = x^{r} [/itex]. Therefore:
[itex] y'(x) = rx^{r-1} [/itex]
[itex] y''(x) = r(r-1)x^{r-2} [/itex]
Substituting these values into the Euler equation:
[itex] ax^{2}(r)(r-1)x^{r-2} + bx(r)x^{r-1} + cx^{r} = 0 [/itex]
[itex] ax^{2}[r(r-1)x^{r-2}] + bx[rx^{r-1}] + c[x^{r}] = 0 [/itex]
[itex] a(r^{2}-r)x^{r} + brx^{r} + cx^{r} = 0 [/itex]
[itex] a(r^{2}-r) + br + c = 0 [/itex]
[itex] ar(r-1) + br + c [/itex]
This is the characteristic equation, so that portion of the problem is solved. For part 2, I am not really having a problem formatting the problem, but I am having a problem understanding the given solution. Here is what I did:
[itex] x^{2}y'' + xy' = 0 [/itex]
[itex] r(r-1) + r = 0 [/itex]
[itex] r^{2} - r + r = 0 [/itex]
[itex] r^{2} = 0 [/itex]
So the answer has repeated roots with [itex] r = 0 [/itex]. So the solution given in the back of the book is:
[itex] Y(x) = c_1 + c_{2}ln(x) [/itex]
I looked around online and verified that this is indeed the answer. However, I am having some trouble understanding where the natural log came from, there is no explanation given in my book and I also can't seem to find a derivation online. Probably I am missing something obvious, but I was hoping someone could help me out and give an explanation, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would look at the assumption you used for the derivatives.
##y' = x^{r-1} ##
If r = 0, you either have the trivial solution, or something else that satisfies that assumptions.

RUber said:
I would look at the assumption you used for the derivatives.
##y' = x^{r-1} ##
If r = 0, you either have the trivial solution, or something else that satisfies that assumptions.
Thanks for the advice...I was wondering, could I also try to derive that equation using reduction of order, similar to how the solution [itex] Y(x) = c_{1}e^{\frac{-bx}{2a}} + c_{2}xe^{\frac{-bx}{2a}} [/itex] is derived?

Here's an argument that shows you where the ##\ln x## comes from. For simplicity I will call your differential equation ##ax^2y''+bxy'+cy = 0## as ##L(y)=0## where ##L## is the differential operator. When you substitute ##y = x^r## into that equation you got ##L(x^r) = x^rp(r)## where ##p(r)## is the characteristic polynomial. Now consider the case where ##r## is a double root, as you have in your problem. ##r## being a double root means that ##p(r)=0## and ##p'(r)=0##. Now let's differentiate ##L(x^r) = x^rp(r)## with respect to ##r##. If we differentiate the left side, since the order of taking derivatives doesn't matter we get$$
\frac \partial {\partial r}L(x^r) = L(\frac \partial {\partial r}x^r) = L(x^r\ln x)$$If we differentiate the right side with respect to ##r## we get$$
(x^r \ln x) p(r) + x^r p'(r) = 0$$since ##r## is a double root. So putting this together we have$$
L(x^r\ln x) = 0$$which tells you ##x^r\ln x## is a solution of the DE in addition to ##x^r## when ##r## is a double root.

LCKurtz said:
Here's an argument that shows you where the ##\ln x## comes from. For simplicity I will call your differential equation ##ax^2y''+bxy'+cy = 0## as ##L(y)=0## where ##L## is the differential operator. When you substitute ##y = x^r## into that equation you got ##L(x^r) = x^rp(r)## where ##p(r)## is the characteristic polynomial. Now consider the case where ##r## is a double root, as you have in your problem. ##r## being a double root means that ##p(r)=0## and ##p'(r)=0##. Now let's differentiate ##L(x^r) = x^rp(r)## with respect to ##r##. If we differentiate the left side, since the order of taking derivatives doesn't matter we get$$
\frac \partial {\partial r}L(x^r) = L(\frac \partial {\partial r}x^r) = L(x^r\ln x)$$If we differentiate the right side with respect to ##r## we get$$
(x^r \ln x) p(r) + x^r p'(r) = 0$$since ##r## is a double root. So putting this together we have$$
L(x^r\ln x) = 0$$which tells you ##x^r\ln x## is a solution of the DE in addition to ##x^r## when ##r## is a double root.
Fantastic...thank you so much for showing me that. Surprisingly, that argument is hard to find online and I was having some trouble performing it by myself..

1. What are Euler's equations in differential equations?

Euler's equations refer to a set of three equations that describe the motion of a rigid body in three-dimensional space. They are commonly used in the field of mechanics and are named after the mathematician Leonhard Euler.

2. What is the significance of Euler's equations in physics?

Euler's equations are significant in physics because they provide a mathematical framework for understanding the rotational motion of rigid bodies. They are used in a variety of fields, including aerospace engineering, robotics, and astrophysics.

3. How do you solve Euler's equations?

Euler's equations can be solved using various mathematical methods, including analytical and numerical techniques. Some common methods include the Euler-Lagrange equation, the Runge-Kutta method, and the finite difference method. The appropriate method to use depends on the specific problem at hand.

4. What are some real-world applications of Euler's equations?

Euler's equations have many real-world applications, including predicting the motion of satellites and spacecraft, analyzing the stability of rotating structures, and understanding the behavior of gyroscopes. They are also used in computer graphics to simulate the motion of objects in virtual environments.

5. How do Euler's equations relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Euler's equations are based on Newton's laws of motion, particularly the second law which states that the sum of the forces acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. Euler's equations extend this concept to rotational motion, where the sum of the torques acting on an object is equal to its moment of inertia times its angular acceleration.