Solving for a variable in an equation with fractional powers

In summary: This equation has a nontrivial solution only when ##\epsilon^\frac32=1##.a more formal way to find the result is to write$$\epsilon^\frac32\mu^\frac12-\mu^2-\frac{\left(\pi k_B T\right)^2}{8}=0$$$$f(x)=\epsilon^\frac32x^\frac12-x^2-\frac{\left(\pi k_B T\right)^2}{8}$$and compute the taylor expansion about ##x=\epsilon##. since ##\epsilon\approx\mu##, we ignore higher order
archaic
Homework Statement
$$\epsilon^\frac32=\mu^\frac32+\frac{\left(\pi k_B T\right)^2}{8}\frac1{\mu^\frac12}$$
I am given that ##\epsilon\approx\mu## and ##(1+x)^\alpha\approx1+\alpha x## when ##x\to0##.
Relevant Equations
##(1+x)^\alpha\approx1+\alpha x## when ##x\to0##
I have tried manipulating this to
$$1-\frac{8}{(\pi k_B T)^2}\mu^\frac12(\epsilon^\frac32-\mu^\frac32)=0\Leftrightarrow\left[1+\mu^\frac12(\epsilon^\frac32-\mu^\frac32)\right]^{-\frac{8}{(\pi k_B T)^2}}=0$$
but this doesn't seem to lead anywhere.
any hints please?

the solution is one of these ##T_f=\epsilon/k_B##:
tETTp.png

Physics news on Phys.org
If you set ##\mu^{\frac{1}{2}}=\nu## for convenience, and multiply the equation with ##\nu## then you have a polynomial equation which may be solvable. The exponent in your formula is wrong.

fresh_42 said:
If you set ##\mu^{\frac{1}{2}}=\nu## for convenience, and multiply the equation with ##\nu## then you have a polynomial equation which may be solvable. The exponent in your formula is wrong.
I don't think so. I tried that with wolfram, but the result was very bad.
how so?

archaic said:
I don't think so. I tried that with wolfram, but the result was very bad.
how so?
It's always best to make simplifications at the very last. So multiplying with ##\mu^{\frac{1}{2}}## results in
$$
0=\mu^{\frac{1}{2}}\cdot \left(\mu^{\frac{3}{2}}-\varepsilon^{\frac{3}{2}}\right) +\dfrac{\left(\pi k_B T\right)^2}{8}=\mu^{\frac{1}{2}}\cdot\left(\mu+\mu^{\frac{1}{2}}\varepsilon^{\frac{1}{2}}+\varepsilon \right)\cdot\left(\mu^{\frac{1}{2}}-\varepsilon^{\frac{1}{2}}\right)+\dfrac{\left(\pi k_B T\right)^2}{8}
$$
What if you now start to apply the hints? But I don't see how we can deal with ##\mu^{\frac{1}{2}}-\varepsilon^{\frac{1}{2}}##.

Last edited:
Likes archaic
Here's a quick-ish and dirty way, just making use of ##\epsilon \approx \mu##. Since ##\epsilon^\frac32 = \mu^\frac32+\frac{\left(\pi k_B T\right)^2}{8\mu^\frac12}## you have ##\epsilon^3 = \left( \mu^\frac32+\frac{\left(\pi k_B T\right)^2}{8\mu^\frac12} \right)^2 \approx \mu^3 \left( 1 + \frac{\left(\pi k_B T\right)^2}{4\mu^2} \right)##. This is a cubic ##

\mu^3 + \frac{\left(\pi k_B T\right)^2}{4} \mu - \epsilon^3 \approx 0

##. But ##\mu^3 - \epsilon^3 = (\mu - \epsilon)(\mu^2 + \mu \epsilon + \epsilon^2) \approx 3\mu^2 (\mu - \epsilon)## and so ##\mu^2 - \epsilon \mu + \frac{\left(\pi k_B T\right)^2}{12} \approx 0## and \begin{align*}

\mu_{+} \approx \frac{\epsilon + \sqrt{\epsilon^2 - \frac{\left(\pi k_B T\right)^2}{3}} }{2} \approx \epsilon\left( 1 -\frac{\left(\pi k_B T\right)^2}{12 \epsilon^2} \right) = \epsilon\left( 1 - \frac{\pi^2}{12} \left( \frac{T}{T_f} \right)^2 \right)

\end{align*}

Likes archaic and fresh_42
thank you! never mind my other message.

I rewrote the equation as ##x^3=y^3+c/y## and substituted ##y=x(1-\alpha)##. Discarding ##\alpha^2## etc. this gives ##y=x(1-\frac c{3x^4-c})##. This does not seem to match any of the choices.

haruspex said:
I rewrote the equation as ##x^3=y^3+c/y## and substituted ##y=x(1-\alpha)##. Discarding ##\alpha^2## etc. this gives ##y=x(1-\frac c{3x^4-c})##. This does not seem to match any of the choices.
a more formal way to find the result is to write$$\epsilon^\frac32\mu^\frac12-\mu^2-\frac{\left(\pi k_B T\right)^2}{8}=0$$$$f(x)=\epsilon^\frac32x^\frac12-x^2-\frac{\left(\pi k_B T\right)^2}{8}$$and compute the taylor expansion about ##x=\epsilon##. since ##\epsilon\approx\mu##, we ignore higher order terms.$$-\frac{\left(\pi k_B T\right)^2}{8}-\frac{3\epsilon}{2}\left(\mu-\epsilon\right)=0$$

1. How do I solve for a variable in an equation with fractional powers?

To solve for a variable in an equation with fractional powers, you need to isolate the variable by using inverse operations. This means you will need to undo any operations that are being done to the variable. For example, if the variable is being raised to a fractional power, you would use the inverse operation of taking the root to get rid of the fractional power.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving for a variable in an equation with fractional powers?

One common mistake is forgetting to use the inverse operation when trying to isolate the variable. Another mistake is not simplifying the equation before solving, which can lead to incorrect solutions. It is also important to keep track of the signs when using inverse operations, as they can easily be overlooked.

3. Can I use the same method to solve for a variable in an equation with different fractional powers?

Yes, the same method can be used to solve for a variable in an equation with different fractional powers. However, the specific inverse operations used may vary depending on the fractional power. For example, if the variable is being raised to the power of 1/3, you would use the cube root as the inverse operation.

4. How do I check if my solution is correct when solving for a variable in an equation with fractional powers?

To check if your solution is correct, you can substitute the value you found for the variable back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Another way is to graph the original equation and your solution on a coordinate plane and see if they intersect at the same point.

5. Are there any tips for solving equations with fractional powers more efficiently?

One tip is to simplify the equation as much as possible before solving. This can make it easier to see which inverse operations to use. Another tip is to pay attention to the fractional powers and use the appropriate inverse operations for each one. It is also helpful to double check your work and make sure all steps are accounted for.