Solving for different masses in pulley system with KE

In summary, the problem involves a simple Atwood's machine with two masses, m1 and m2, starting from rest and reaching a speed of 10.0 m/s after 6.0 s. The kinetic energy at this point is 90 J and each mass has moved 30.0 m. Using the equations for net work and total kinetic energy of the system, m1 + m2 can be determined to be 9/5 kg. The net force on each mass can be expressed as T-m1g and T-m2g, where T is the tension and g is the acceleration due to gravity. By setting these forces equal to their respective masses times the acceleration, a relationship between m1 and m
jb007

Homework Statement

So I am stuck on this homework problem. I understand the general direction I have to take, but my algebra and physics aren't good. Here's the problem:
A simple Atwood's machine uses two masses, m1 and m2. Starting from rest, the speed of the two masses is 10.0 m/s at the end of 6.0 s. At that instant, the kinetic energy of the system is 90 J and each mass has moved a distance of 30.0 m. Determine the values of m1 and m2.

Homework Equations

Wnet = change in KE
total KE of the system = 0.5(m1)v^2 + 0.5(m2)v^2
W = force * distance

The Attempt at a Solution

My work so far has not really gotten me anywhere, any tips would be very helpful.

First, I saw that the KE of the system would be the KE equation but with m 1 and m 2 , like this: KE = 0.5(m1+m2 )v^2, or 90=0.5(m1+m2 )v^2, or 90=0.5(m1+m2 )100

So then then m1+m2 would be equal to 9/5.

I'm not sure about this next part I've done: The net work is equal to the change in KE. Since the system starts from rest, the initial KE is 0, and the final KE is 90.

So I did: W=0.5(m1+m2 )100. Then using the work equation: FΔX=0.5(m1+m2)100, and since ΔX is equal to 30m: 30F=0.5(m1+m2)100

I tried substituting in the acceleration in order to get the force of the masses, 10/6=5/3m/s/s, so weight 1 = m1*5/3, and weight 2 = m2*5/3.

With these, I know there is supposed to be 2 equations for 2 unknowns, but I can't seem to figure them out. I'm kind of lost at his point.

I've uploaded a picture of the problem. I believe I'm headed in the right direction. Any tips?

Attachments

• q11.jpg
    q11.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 513
Physics news on Phys.org
jb007 said:
30F=0.5(m1+m2)100
And what is F?
edit: You actually don't need to worry about F; what is the kinetic energy?

jb007 said:
I tried substituting in the acceleration in order to get the force of the masses, 10/6=5/3m/s/s, so weight 1 = m1*5/3, and weight 2 = m2*5/3.
This is not right. The weight 1 = m1g and the weight 2 = m2g

Nathanael said:
And what is F?
edit: You actually don't need to worry about F; what is the kinetic energy?This is not right. The weight 1 = m1g and the weight 2 = m2g
The total kinetic energy is 90J. So would it be 90=0.5(m1+m2)v^2, which solving for m1+m2 would get me 9/5kg, like I had before. I'm failing to see the connection between this and the force.
I think the net force on m1 should be T-m1g, where T is the tension. And the net force on m2 should be T-m2g? And would T be equal to the sum of the weights of the blocks?

jb007 said:
I think the net force on m1 should be T-m1g, where T is the tension. And the net force on m2 should be T-m2g?
Good. Do you know a relationship between the net force and acceleration?

Nathanael said:
Good. Do you know a relationship between the net force and acceleration?
Ok, so then by F=ma, the net force for object 1 would be T-m1g=m1a, and the net force for object 2 would be T-m2g = m2a.
Then since a is the same for each object, (T-m1g)/m1 = (T-m2g)/m2?

jb007 said:
Ok, so then by F=ma, the net force for object 1 would be T-m1g=m1a, and the net force for object 2 would be T-m2g = m2a.
Then since a is the same for each object, (T-m1g)/m1 = (T-m2g)/m2?
Right, but there's no need to eliminate the acceleration a
Use the two equations to eliminate the tension T
Then you will you have your second relationship between m1 and m2

Related to Solving for different masses in pulley system with KE

1. How do you calculate the kinetic energy in a pulley system with different masses?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass and v is the velocity. In a pulley system with different masses, you will need to determine the velocity of the system by considering the acceleration and the forces acting on each mass. Once you have the velocity, you can use the formula to calculate the kinetic energy for each mass and add them together to get the total kinetic energy of the system.

2. What is the role of mass in a pulley system with kinetic energy?

The mass in a pulley system affects the kinetic energy because it determines the amount of force that is required to move the object. The heavier the mass, the more force is needed to overcome its inertia and accelerate it. This means that the kinetic energy will be greater for a system with larger masses.

3. Can you explain the concept of mechanical advantage in a pulley system with kinetic energy?

Mechanical advantage in a pulley system refers to the ratio of the output force (the force exerted by the object being lifted) to the input force (the force applied to the pulley system). In a pulley system with kinetic energy, the mechanical advantage can be increased by adding more pulleys, which reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object. However, this also means that the velocity of the object will be lower, resulting in a lower kinetic energy.

4. How does friction affect the kinetic energy in a pulley system with different masses?

Friction can have a significant impact on the kinetic energy in a pulley system with different masses. Frictional forces act in the opposite direction of motion, which means that they will decrease the velocity of the system and, therefore, decrease the kinetic energy. This is why it is important to consider friction when calculating the kinetic energy in a pulley system.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving for different masses in pulley systems with kinetic energy?

Pulley systems with different masses and kinetic energy are commonly used in various industries, such as construction, manufacturing, and transportation. For example, cranes use pulley systems to lift heavy loads, and elevators use pulleys to move people and objects between different floors. Understanding how to solve for different masses in these systems is crucial for ensuring their safe and efficient operation.