Solving for P02 using Integrating Factor?

In summary, we are discussing solving a differential equation using integrating factor and how to use previously found equations to arrive at a more complex equation. The original equation involves the functions P_{01} and P_{02} and the process involves using an integrating factor and differentiation.
themurgesh
Hello,

I am solving an equation using integrating factor. I have come up to a specific point which is $$\dfrac{d}{dt} P_{02}(t) \cdot e^{(\lambda_3+\mu_3)t}=\lambda_2 \cdot P_{01}(t) \cdot e^{(\lambda_3+\mu_3)t}$$

from the previous equation, I have found $$P_{01}(t)=\lambda_1 \int_0^t e^{-(\lambda_1-\mu_1)s}\;e^{-(\lambda_2+\mu_2)(t-s)} ds $$

I have used both these facts to come to an answer which is a very lengthy term. However, the article I am reading also states that

$$P_{02}(t)=\lambda_1 \int_0^t e^{-\lambda_1 s}e^{-\mu_1 s} \int_0^{t-s}\lambda_2 e^{-\lambda_2 q} e^{-\mu_2 q} e^{-(\mu_3+\lambda_3)(t-s-q)}\;dq\;ds$$

I am getting confused about how do I use the first two equations to achieve the third one? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank You.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Differential equation problem

can you post the question ?

sorry.. i had some latex errors.. i hope you can see the question now.

why you did not cancel the term [tex]e^{(\lambda_3+\mu_3)t}[/tex] from the first equation
and what is [tex]P_{01},P_{02}[/tex] ?

themurgesh said:
Hello,

I am solving an equation using integrating factor. I have come up to a specific point which is $$\dfrac{d}{dt} P_{02}(t) \cdot e^{(\lambda_3+\mu_3)t}=\lambda_2 \cdot P_{01}(t) \cdot e^{(\lambda_3+\mu_3)t}$$

from the previous equation, I have found $$P_{01}(t)=\lambda_1 \int_0^t e^{-(\lambda_1-\mu_1)s}\;e^{-(\lambda_2+\mu_2)(t-s)} ds $$

I have used both these facts to come to an answer which is a very lengthy term. However, the article I am reading also states that

$$P_{02}(t)=\lambda_1 \int_0^t e^{-\lambda_1 s}e^{-\mu_1 s} \int_0^{t-s}\lambda_2 e^{-\lambda_2 q} e^{-\mu_2 q} e^{-(\mu_3+\lambda_3)(t-s-q)}\;dq\;ds$$

I am getting confused about how do I use the first two equations to achieve the third one? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank You.

Amer said:
why you did not cancel the term [tex]e^{(\lambda_3+\mu_3)t}[/tex] from the first equation
and what is [tex]P_{01},P_{02}[/tex] ?

If the derivative operator is acting on that term, you'd have to differentiate before canceling.

To the OP'er: could you please post the original DE?

Ackbach said:
If the derivative operator is acting on that term, you'd have to differentiate before canceling.

To the OP'er: could you please post the original DE?

Sorry. I should have posted the original DE before

$$P'_{02}(t)+(\lambda_3+\mu_3)P_{02}(t)=P_{01}(t) \lambda_2$$

and then I used integrating factor $$e^{\int_0^t (\lambda_3+\mu_3) dt}$$ and arrive at the equation

$$\dfrac{d}{dt} [P_{02}(t) \cdot e^{(\lambda_3+\mu_3)t}]=\lambda_2 \cdot P_{01}(t) \cdot e^{(\lambda_3+\mu_3)t}$$

Related to Solving for P02 using Integrating Factor?

What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a mathematical tool used in solving differential equations. It is a function that is multiplied to both sides of an equation to make it easier to integrate.

Why do we need an integrating factor?

Integrating factors are used to solve differential equations that are not in standard form, making them easier to solve. They also help to reveal hidden symmetries in the equation and can lead to simpler solutions.

How do you find the integrating factor for a given differential equation?

The integrating factor can be found by using the formula e∫P(x)dx, where P(x) is the coefficient of the y' term in the differential equation. Once the integrating factor is found, it is multiplied to both sides of the equation to make it easier to solve.

What is the purpose of using an integrating factor in solving differential equations?

The main purpose of using an integrating factor is to transform a differential equation into a simpler form that can be easily solved using standard integration techniques. This makes it possible to solve a wider range of differential equations and find more accurate solutions.

Are there any limitations to using integrating factors?

While integrating factors can be useful in solving differential equations, they may not work for every type of equation. In some cases, the integrating factor may not be easy to find, making it difficult to use this method to solve the equation. Additionally, integrating factors may not be helpful in solving certain types of nonlinear differential equations.