Solving for potential energy after time t.

In summary: So x=80-(1/2)gt^2. In summary, a stone of mass 0.2kg is dropped from the top of an 80m high building. After t seconds, it has fallen x meters and has a velocity of v. Using suvat equations, it can be determined that the potential energy of the stone t seconds later is 10t^2, where x=80-(1/2)gt^2 and h=80.
blipped

Homework Statement

A stone of mass 0.2kg is dropped from the top of a building 80m high. After t seconds it has fallen x meters and has a velocity of v. What is the potential energy of the stone t seconds later

Homework Equations

The answer is 2(80 - x) = 160 - 10t^2

Using suvat: s = ut + (1/2)at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with PE = mgh
PE = 0.2 * 10 * h
PE = 2h

Then I figured h = (1/2)*10*t^2
or h = 5t^2

So now I have

PE = 10t^2

Not sure if I'm headed in the right direction or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
blipped said:
So now I have

PE = 10t^2
That gives PE=0 at the instant of dropping. Where should PE be 0 and where should it be maximum?

Likes blipped
blipped said:
A stone of mass 0.2kg is dropped from the top of a building 80m high.
It is coming downwards.
blipped said:
s = ut + (1/2)at^2
What is s?
blipped said:
PE = mgh
What is h?
Are they both same in this problem?

cnh1995 said:
That gives PE=0 at the instant of dropping. Where should PE be 0 and where should it be maximum?

I got it, or at least I understand the answer now. 80 - (80 - x) gives the remaining distance with regards to x, and this equal to the same measurement given (1/2)(g)t^2. Set them equal and shuffle around a bit. Thanks

Likes cnh1995
blipped said:
I got it, or at least I understand the answer now. 80 - (80 - x) gives the remaining distance with regards to x, and this equal to the same measurement given (1/2)(g)t^2. Set them equal and shuffle around a bit. Thanks
Right.
x=80-h.

Related to Solving for potential energy after time t.

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is the energy that an object has the potential to convert into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy.

2. How is potential energy calculated?

Potential energy is calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object relative to a chosen reference point. This formula applies to objects near the Earth's surface. For objects at other distances, the formula may differ.

3. What factors affect potential energy?

The factors that affect potential energy include the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the object. Other factors such as the object's shape and position relative to other objects may also affect its potential energy.

4. How does time affect potential energy?

Time does not directly affect potential energy. However, potential energy can change over time due to external factors such as the object's motion or changes in its height or position. Time can also be a factor in calculating potential energy, as the formula includes the acceleration due to gravity, which is affected by time.

5. How can potential energy be solved for after a certain amount of time?

To solve for potential energy after a certain amount of time, you would need to know the initial potential energy of the object and any changes in its height or position during that time. Using the formula PE = mgh, you can calculate the potential energy at the specific time by plugging in the new values for mass, acceleration due to gravity, and height.