Solving for resistor values in voltage divider circuit

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving setting up a voltage divider without solving for resistance. The person is unsure if it can be solved and shares their attempt at a solution. They realize that a 30 volt swing with a 24V supply is not possible without an active circuit and question the feasibility of the problem. Another person chimes in, stating that it is a poor design request and suggests assuming a different supply voltage for the exercise.
EddNeedsHelp

Homework Statement

So I was studying an example and the picture given simply asked to setup a voltage divider for the values without solving for resistance. However... I want to know if I'm missing something or if this can even be solved:
I attached the problem below.

Homework Equations

V1=Vs*R1/(R1+R2) VDR

The Attempt at a Solution

So I setup the circuit with 5 resistors in series with the ground after the first 3 resistors. However, when I try to solve for a voltage drop I get -15 on one side, so can't the other side with the negative values only be 9? Is it even possible to get a voltage drop of 15 originally and end up with -15 on the other side, considering the Vs is 24 v? Or are these values just not solvable?

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-28_2-57-33.png
    upload_2016-11-28_2-57-33.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 463
  • ee4.png
    ee4.png
    109.3 KB · Views: 481
Physics news on Phys.org
(1) A 30 volt swing with a 24V supply is not possible without an active circuit.
(2) This is a rather stupid design request since unless the current draw from each of the voltages is utterly trivial, a passive resistance divider circuit is a non-starter as a decent design mechanism.

For the purpose of the exercise, perhaps assume the supply is 30V.

Or for a little more challenge, assume the supply is ±24V.

1. How do I calculate the resistor values in a voltage divider circuit?

To calculate the resistor values in a voltage divider circuit, you will need to know the desired output voltage and the input voltage. Then, you can use the formula Vout = Vin * (R2 / (R1 + R2)) to solve for the resistor values. R1 and R2 are the two resistors in the voltage divider circuit.

2. What is the purpose of a voltage divider circuit?

A voltage divider circuit is used to divide a higher input voltage into a lower output voltage. This is useful in many electronic circuits where a specific voltage is needed for a component or device to function properly. It also helps to reduce power dissipation and prevent damage to components.

3. How do I choose the right resistor values for a voltage divider circuit?

The resistor values in a voltage divider circuit can be chosen based on the desired output voltage and the maximum current that will flow through the circuit. It is important to choose resistors with appropriate power ratings to prevent overheating. Additionally, resistors with similar values should be used to minimize errors.

4. Can I use different types of resistors in a voltage divider circuit?

Yes, you can use different types of resistors in a voltage divider circuit. However, it is important to consider the tolerance and temperature coefficient of the resistors. Higher tolerance resistors will have a larger margin of error, while resistors with a lower temperature coefficient will be less affected by changes in temperature.

5. Are there any limitations to using a voltage divider circuit?

While voltage divider circuits are useful in many applications, there are some limitations to consider. The output voltage will vary depending on the load connected to the circuit, so it may not be suitable for high current applications. Additionally, the input voltage should not be too high as it can cause excessive power dissipation in the resistors.