Solving for Runner's Speed at End of Race | Physics Homework Help

• Thread starter jwang023
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, when stuck on a problem, it is important to determine the root cause and try approaching it from a different angle. Seeking help is acceptable and encouraged in the scientific community, and continuously learning and practicing problem-solving can help prevent getting stuck in the future.
jwang023

Homework Statement

I figured out the speed of the runner at t=2.0 seconds, but I am stuck on finding v of the runner at the end of the race.

Q: At the starting gun, a runner accelerates at 1.7 m/s^2 for 4.8 seconds. The runner's acceleration is zero for the rest of the race. what is the speed of the runner at the end of the race?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind! Figured it out!

First, we can use the equation v = u + at to calculate the final velocity (v) of the runner at the end of the 4.8 seconds of acceleration. We know that the initial velocity (u) is 0 m/s, as the runner starts from rest. We also know that the acceleration (a) is 1.7 m/s^2 and the time (t) is 4.8 seconds. Plugging these values into the equation, we get: v = 0 + (1.7 m/s^2)(4.8 s) = 8.16 m/s.

Next, we can use the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as to calculate the final velocity (v) of the runner at the end of the race, where the acceleration (a) is 0 m/s^2 and the displacement (s) is the distance covered during the 4.8 seconds of acceleration. We can calculate the distance using the equation s = ut + 0.5at^2, where u is the initial velocity (0 m/s) and t is the time (4.8 seconds). Plugging these values into the equation, we get: s = (0 m/s)(4.8 s) + 0.5(1.7 m/s^2)(4.8 s)^2 = 36.864 m. Now, we can plug this value into the first equation to solve for v: v = √(0^2 + 2(0 m/s^2)(36.864 m)) = 0 m/s.

Therefore, the speed of the runner at the end of the race is 0 m/s, as the runner will have stopped moving after the initial 4.8 seconds of acceleration.

Related to Solving for Runner's Speed at End of Race | Physics Homework Help

1. Why am I stuck on this problem?

There could be multiple reasons why you are stuck on a problem. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the concept, not having enough information or resources, or simply being overwhelmed. It is important to take a step back and assess the situation to determine the root cause.

2. How can I get unstuck on this problem?

One way to get unstuck on a problem is to approach it from a different angle. Try breaking it down into smaller parts and tackling each one separately. You can also ask for help from a colleague or seek guidance from online resources. Sometimes taking a break and coming back to the problem with fresh eyes can also be helpful.

3. How long should I spend on a problem before seeking help?

There is no set time limit on how long you should spend on a problem before seeking help. It ultimately depends on your own skills and abilities, as well as the complexity of the problem. If you have been stuck for an extended period of time and have exhausted all your options, it may be a good idea to seek assistance.

4. Is it okay to ask for help on a problem?

Asking for help is completely acceptable and encouraged in the scientific community. Collaboration and teamwork are important aspects of scientific research and problem-solving. It shows that you are willing to learn and work with others to find a solution.

5. How can I prevent getting stuck on a problem in the future?

One way to prevent getting stuck on a problem is to continuously learn and expand your knowledge in your field of study. This will give you a better understanding of concepts and make it easier to solve problems. It is also helpful to practice problem-solving regularly to improve your skills and approach to tackling challenges.